WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I have never in my life seen some people hoping for someone else to fail so badly.. it’s crazy to me.

I think what it is, is that a lot (not ALL) of the Speed deposit holders and RG himself talk about how much better their car is or is going to be...they literally talk crap about every other proven car on the market...I think thats what gets under peoples skin and in turn wish for failure...

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I think what it is, is that a lot (not ALL) of the Speed deposit holders and RG himself talk about how much better their car is or is going to be...they literally talk crap about every other proven car on the market...I think thats what gets under peoples skin and in turn wish for failure...
Yep this.

As someone who does business with other businesses and writes big money po’s I wouldn’t do business with speed. Very garage shop orientated. Constantly over promising and under delivering. Constant making changes costing time and money.

I think another thing is Robby has taken a lot of money thus far and has shown to be no closer to delivering then a year ago

Singleton

Reaction score

Can‘t speak for everyone, but the above is one of the reasons I have questioned Speeds approach. I will not call it negative, but questioning statements that were made. Another reason was LOF making statements like he knew more than others and those statements have been proven to be BS (CARB approved, pending certs is the prime example). Without LOF in this thread, things have been better IMO. I also have a huge trigger associated with over promising and under delivering. IF you don’t know the answer, then say ’we don’t know and are hoping to provide an update in x weeks’.

The Speed pit truck looked awesome at KOH. The 2 seat #3 pre-production and 4 seat #18 looked good when I saw it at tech. BUT, RG thinking he could drive in front of the fire pit at KOH was a big FU IMO. He made people move a fence (I was at the fence waiting for the 1688 interview to start) and then made people sitting in chairs get up so he could get though was a big FU. Everyone else exited gate 6 and went around, RG is not special!

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I have never in my life seen some people hoping for someone else to fail so badly.. it’s crazy to me.
I do sales for a living and the company I rep specifically asks us not to bad mouth the competition. Instead we focus on all the areas that we think we’re better and we show them.

So far all speed has done is crap on what’s already out there and say how much better he’s going to be. So far it hasn’t happened. So in come the “haters”. I’m not hoping for failure instead I’m sitting back having a little fun making comments and patiently waiting a couple years to possibly pick one up once the do all the things promised. Wouldn’t call that “hating” or “hoping for failure”.

It’s what you get with the approach he’s using. Like it or not it is what it is.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I do sales for a living and the company I rep specifically asks us not to bad mouth the competition. Instead we focus on all the areas that we think we’re better and we show them.

So far all speed has done is crap on what’s already out there and say how much better he’s going to be. So far it hasn’t happened. So in come the “haters”. I’m not hoping for failure instead I’m sitting back having a little fun making comments and patiently waiting a couple years to possibly pick one up once the do all the things promised. Wouldn’t call that “hating” or “hoping for failure”.

It’s what you get with the approach he’s using. Like it or not it is what it is.
This is how I feel too.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Does anyone with a deposit know if this is for anyone or just people that have been called for delivery. After I got the same email today I emailed Todd to ask but I’ve not seen a response yet I’m sure he’s busy. I would like to head up there for a day or so and check out the stuff.
I emailed Todd as well, specifically asking if there would be other events for the early numbers, he replied that I would be getting a sperate private invite when my car is closer to being ready.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
You for sure have realized over the years there are people hoping you fall on your ass.Yet,you seem immune to negative and just roll on.
Many of the posts this morning from so called haters are starting to be understandable.
No doubt about it RG had a lousy weekend at KOH. I would think KOH the perfect venue for Speed UTV.

DWC

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s that many people that want them to fail. There are a lot of people who love to push others buttons. I hope the car is awesome and that they drive innovation and improvement through the entire industry. As a current SXS owner, I’m not a huge fan of them slamming the competition but it is what it is. (Side note, my Can Am has 4,000 flawless miles😉)

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s that many people that want them to fail. There are a lot of people who love to push others buttons. I hope the car is awesome and that they drive innovation and improvement through the entire industry. As a current SXS owner, I’m not a huge fan of them slamming the competition but it is what it is. (Side note, my Can Am has 4,000 flawless miles😉)
Well,for sure Can Am considers KOH excellent Venue to sponsor. SXS has become a major increase in activities. Seems has added a week worth of events. Chocolate Thunder was awesome yesterday and just beginning for this week
That short coarse race late yesterday was better than NASCAR,Wasn’t SXS ,but great racing.

Reactions: DWC

mbrown2

Reaction score
Sorry not hating but there are some seriously funny savages out there…the last photo mashup with Trump… 💀💀💀

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Really Dave?

Nobody likes a shit talker. And so far that's all Mr. Gordon has done.

IF he would have kept this whole program completely under wraps, and not made one single public statement until he had a fully tested production vehicle ready to deliver, this would be a whole different story.

I've been in the Automotive dealership business my entire life almost. A car from paper to sales floor normally takes about SEVEN years, and that includes two years of real world testing!

Watching this debacle has been, a lesson on exactly what not to do. And the crazy part is, it's not HOW like bringing a product from paper to sales floor is a secret???

The guy never learns and just keeps embarrassing himself over and over and over again.

I don't wanna see the guy fail, but jezus fuck, I'd like to see the guy come through on his promises as well!!!

P. S. Looking forward to the documentary about this whole deal on Netflix someday. Hopefully it will have a happy ending. 👍🏼👍🏼

702sandman

Reaction score
The biggest thing Dave I think Robbie keeps doing wrong is talking shit on Polaris and can am. Comparing the 2 companies cars to his car before its even out to the public is ridiculous. A lot less shit talking I think would have been done if he just stuck with let me show you how my car is far superior to the competition, instead he keeps stepping on his own dick with these failures left and right. It’s his bed he needs to lay in.

Last edited:

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I’m gonna be in Miami :

Really Dave?

IF he would have kept this whole program completely under wraps, and not made one single public statement until he had a fully tested production vehicle ready to deliver, this would be a whole different story.

. 👍🏼👍🏼
And what fun would that of been?

Shit talkin and biscuits, it's the new rdp. :)

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Really Dave?

I've been in the Automotive dealership business my entire life almost. A car from paper to sales floor normally takes about SEVEN years, and that includes two years of real world testing!

Watching this debacle has been, a lesson on exactly what not to do. And the crazy part is, it's not HOW like bringing a product from paper to sales floor is a secret???

The guy never learns and just keeps embarrassing himself over and over and over again.

I don't wanna see the guy fail, but jezus fuck, I'd like to see the guy come through on his promises as well!!!

P. S. Looking forward to the documentary about this whole deal on Netflix someday. Hopefully it will have a happy ending. 👍🏼👍🏼
The whole garage shop business practice won’t get him to the finish line either.

Speed to date has not had a successful business showing

Day 1 a car that isn’t the same car as today

Then bringing cars to ssss with bolts in the welds and doors that don’t work

Another ssss where cars are unfinished and the same cars as the year before

Another ssss where the rear trailing arm breaks

Racing with poor results (breakages and forgetting parts) the tranny breaking is racing but the starter thing and the not having a belt is not shit happens. That is called poor planning.

Every time he is out in the public with these something big happens that really hurts him

I could keep going on and on.

topdog521

Reaction score
Really Dave?

I'm going to play devils advocate here.

I've been following along for quite a while and truth be told I have not seen "shit talking" his competitors.

Can anybody provide any examples? I have seen comparisons between different brands. Failure points or disadvantages and supposed improvements providing advantages.

Did I miss something? Because I have to give it to Speed in a sense, their chassis and suspension design does "appear" to be superior to other brands.

Does pointing out the shortcomings of competition equal shit talking? How is that any different to any other brand wars over the years? Pepsi challenge, bitter beer face and keystone or any other classic commercials from 90s and 2000s?

Last edited:

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
I agree. I hope the car kicks ass I just don’t understand why everyone was oversold and undelivered 😳
And now it looks like they are being rushed out and debugging on the fly.

not fair to the customers that have been waiting SOOOOO LONG.

All the buyers that have hug in there deserve the best and way more !

My interest in this is simple I was on the fence with buying one….didn’t….….Now just watching how it all plays out.

Last edited:

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I agree. I hope the car kicks ass I just don’t understand why everyone was oversold and undelivered 😳
And now it looks like they are being rushed out and debugging on the fly.

not fair to the customers that have been waiting SOOOOO LONG.

All the buyers that have hug in there deserve the best and way more !
How were customers oversold? The car that is being delivered now, is leaps and bounds above what was originally sold.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

I've been following along for quite a while and truth be told I have not seen "shit talking" his competitors.

Can anybody provide any examples? I have seen comparisons between different brands. Failure points or disadvantages and supposed improvements providing advantages.

Did I miss something? Because I have to give it to Speed in a sense, their chassis and suspension design does "appear" to be superior to other brands.

Does pointing out the shortcomings of competition equal shit talking? How is that any difference to any other brand wars over the years? Pepsi challenge, bitter beer face and keystone or any other classic commercials from 90s and 2000s?

I agree, the only thing i ever saw that could mildly be construed as that is Speed setting out to develop something that addressed what they and many others felt were shortcomings with the competitors products.... That isn't shit talking as far as im concerned.

"We didn't like that, so we are going to build ours like this"

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
They’re out fucking around in the #18 car right now out by Lowe’s.

Just hit the street and headed for the shop it appears.
4EFC1174-2AB7-44CC-B92B-127CA481685C.jpeg

ZSTIV

Reaction score
How were customers oversold? The car that is being delivered now, is leaps and bounds above what was originally sold.
Most haven't followed since the beginning or haven't taken the time to understand what was originally sold.
What we have now that has been developed is definitely leaps and bounds above what the original concept was.
Peeps that always trash RG on delivery dates for a 2020 delivery or early 2021 don't realize that was based on the XX platform that they were just going to stretch and add a turbo motor, not a full ground up build. After they decided to go full bore with it is when those dates got pushed out.
At that point a lot changed and if you were an early master number you're definitely getting a damn good deal!

Albacore

Reaction score
I agree if what he showed at the Sand show in 2019 was what he was going to deliver today I wouldn’t be interested. Either would a few more friends. It’s what it has became after a lot of hard work, 28000 parts on average per unit and only three years and some months.

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
Just the waiting frustration lack of being without cars. I don’t even know what price you can put on that. and were they always supposed to be made in China? If so, I might’ve missed that.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Just the waiting frustration lack of being without cars. I don’t even know what price you can put on that. and were they always supposed to be made in China? If so, I might’ve missed that.

It's apparent you have no actual information of your own, only what you read on the rumor mill, and internet AKA "FAKE NEWS"

The parts were always going to made in multiple countries, including China, then they were to be "assembled" in the US, much like Polaris or even our big 3 car makers.
They have since assembled some cars completely in China, but that his moving to Vietnam now. I really don't care that they are assembled in Vietnam.

As far as waiting, yes it's been a long time, but lets be real about that, how long do people think it really takes to design, engineer, prototype, and then manufacture something completely from scratch? Something that has approximately 28000 parts.
Hell, Polaris took years on the ProR, Can-Am has been working for years on a new car, and those are not brand new companies. Automakers prototype and test cars for years as well before they are released.

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
I guess I'll dip my bloody toe in this shark infested water...

I don't speak for Robby or Speed UTV, so I won't go into detail, that is on them. Believe me when I say that this is getting handled in real time. We know exactly what failed and why. The failure was not due to any design or engineering flaws. Those who are patient will be rewarded with a great car.

With that said, I have Polaris, Can-Am, and Wildcat XX transmissions and diffs piled in the shop right now, all with varying degrees of failures. So for everyone that wants to say their favorite brand is better and stronger than one another, swing by Weddle sometime and check out the pile of broken parts I have from all of them.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I guess I'll dip my bloody toe in this shark infested water...

I don't speak for Robby or Speed UTV, so I won't go into detail, that is on them. Believe me when I say that this is getting handled in real time. We know exactly what failed and why. The failure was not due to any design or engineering flaws. Those who are patient will be rewarded with a great car.

With that said, I have Polaris, Can-Am, and Wildcat XX transmissions and diffs piled in the shop right now, all with varying degrees of failures. So for everyone that wants to say their favorite brand is better and stronger than one another, swing by Weddle sometime and check out the pile of broken parts I have from all of them.
I’m not blaming the tranny failure on speed (does it look bad? Sure) racing is racing. But the starter fiasco and not having a belt is a major miss on speed!!! That I am placing 100% blame on speed for half assing their racing program.

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
It's apparent you have no actual information of your own, only what you read on the rumor mill, and internet AKA "FAKE NEWS"

The parts were always going to made in multiple countries, including China, then they were to be "assembled" in the US, much like Polaris or even our big 3 car makers.
They have since assembled some cars completely in China, but that his moving to Vietnam now. I really don't care that they are assembled in Vietnam.

As far as waiting, yes it's been a long time, but lets be real about that, how long do people think it really takes to design, engineer, prototype, and then manufacture something completely from scratch? Something that has approximately 28000 parts.
Hell, Polaris took years on the ProR, Can-Am has been working for years on a new car, and those are not brand new companies. Automakers prototype and test cars for years as well before they are released.
Actually, the only information is information that I do have from my own experiences with importing Chinese manufactured products. That’s what I’m going by. I’m sure this is all different. That was 15 years ago.
(we were schooled and punished)

it was a horrible experience again I’m sure things are all different and much better now.🫰

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Does pointing out the shortcomings of competition equal shit talking? How is that any different to any other brand wars over the years? Pepsi challenge, bitter beer face and keystone or any other classic commercials from 90s and 2000s?

Did I say anything about his competitors? I did not.

When you make promises you can't keep, that's a whole different story though.

I guess I wasn't clear on what I was trying to say...

He SHOULD have kept this whole deal under wraps until it was a deliverable product.

Just my 2 cents. Nothing more than that. 😊

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I’m not blaming the tranny failure on speed (does it look bad? Sure) racing is racing. But the starter fiasco and not having a belt is a major miss on speed!!! That I am placing 100% blame on speed for half assing their racing program.
It's a R&D program not a race program.

He could careless about winning KOH. He has been out there many times and I'm not sure I have ever seen him complete a lap. It's not really his deal and it doesent seem to fit his style to make a car live but being out there gets views and even bad press is good press as it gets eyeballs.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

He SHOULD have kept this whole deal under wraps until it was a deliverable product.

The new normal is to have other people help you bankroll an idea. Who knows if the development would have gone as fast or with as many extras if he didn't have those deposits? Why would you keep quiet in todays social media world. What's the saying no such thing as bad press?

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
Here's another little fun fact:

The Pro-R has been around since before the 1st deposit was taken on any Speed UTV, and they are still having drivetrain issues. I just fixed/prepped (3) complete sets for the hammers this week. Doug Mittag just got 2nd place in his first real desert race in that car. Another (2) sets are racing the rock races on Thursday.

Heylam

Reaction score
So it seems like everyone on here is aware of how long it takes to bring a design concept to market except RG as he is the one that set the impossible to meet timeline of deliveries.

NicPaus

Reaction score
So it seems like everyone on here is aware of how long it takes to bring a design concept to market except RG as he is the one that set the impossible to meet timeline of deliveries.
If Covid wouldn't of happened. How would that affect his timelines? We will never know. But worst timing ever.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The new normal is to have other people help you bankroll an idea. Who knows if the development would have gone as fast or with as many extras if he didn't have those deposits? Why would you keep quiet in todays social media world. What's the saying no such thing as bad press?

I read something the other day that said...

"Back in the day, if you read someone's diary, that was a mortal sin! 😱

Today?

If you don't read what I post on Facebook, well fuck you then!!! 😱"

Generation Z has given birth to Generation HeyLAM

👍🏼😁

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I don’t think they are hoping for RG to fail.

I think it’s more reading the writings on the wall. So to speak.

I don’t have a dog in this fight. I hope RG knocks it out of the park. A big fuck you to the big manufacturers.

But I also am not blind to see this going sideways.

topdog521

Reaction score

Well you mentioned shit talk, I thought maybe you were privy to some juicy stuff.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
I sat in the #18 Production car he had out there and the fit and finish was good. The dash display is cool also, cage looks good I really like the A-Pillar support too. I was told the clutch in the race cars is not the production clutch and thats what is causing the issues. Sounds like the 18 drove around pretty well all weekend so thats a good sign at least.

Hopefully you guys enjoyed the coverage of the races it was an epic weekend! (besides the weather Sunday afternoon, that SUCKED)

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Using North American Rockwell as a benchmark with the P-51 from drafting table to flight line in 102 days I don't thing RG's estimate for delivery is out of line. He dared to dream and that dream is becoming a reality.

S

Sand Shark

But How do you keep it under wraps when you need sales that your business has a value? Unless you can private fund, you need to show the bank or investors your brand has a net value. I’m sure someone will correct me. Didn’t Robby say in a video they have spent $250 million? There are many start up EV companies doing the exact same thing as Speed did, which Speed just copied what Tesla did. How many remember Kick Starter? Same concept bt on a much, much smaller scale.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
But How do you keep it under wraps when you need sales that your business has a value? Unless you can private fund, you need to show the bank or investors your brand has a net value. I’m sure someone will correct me. Didn’t Robby say in a video they have spent $250 million? There are many start up EV companies doing the exact same thing as Speed did, which Speed just copied what Tesla did. How many remember Kick Starter? Same concept bt on a much, much smaller scale.
Speed is different then Tesla and someone correct me if I am wrong on this but with speed you can not get a refund on your deposit with Tesla you could get your money back at anytime