WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

Singleton

Reaction score
Speed is different then Tesla and someone correct me if I am wrong on this but with speed you can not get a refund on your deposit with Tesla you could get your money back at anytime

I can only speak on the CyberTruck. I will only move forward with the tri-motor (500 mile range, 14k towing). Will be apx 100k when I get it (2026 is my target).

Deposit was $100 and refundable.
No request to pay accessories.
Was originally told production to start fall 22, now fall 23. Deposits started December 2019. Over 1M deposit holders.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
As far back as I can remember, there have been RG fans and RG haters in the motorsports enthusiast networks. This seems just an extension of the ongoing debate.

I've experienced two things that prevent me from being a hater, but I'm not a Fanboy.
  • I see him take extra time with kids and try and connect and give them an opportunity to have a moment. I like that regardless of whatever he may or may not do.
  • While racing the Parker 425, I was driving as fast as possible on a pole-lined road with nowhere to get off course when I heard the scream of a Trophy truck over the cry of my 4.0 Jeepspeed. To my horror, I looked in the rearview mirror to find RG. He never hit, tapped, or bumped us. He gave us enough time to find a safe place to move off the single track, and he tore off. I will never forget that moment and appreciate he did not crash us, cause us harm, or put us slower guys at risk.
I would really love to see the Speed organization build a race program for its owners. I think it would be an epic program that would force the other OEMs to reconsider how it supports racing. Imagine how awesome Team Speed could be for people that dream of racing offroad.

I have been thinking of getting back into racing, and OEM support will likely sway which brand I invest in, more than which factory vehicle is the fastest.

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
Most haven't followed since the beginning or haven't taken the time to understand what was originally sold.
What we have now that has been developed is definitely leaps and bounds above what the original concept was.
Peeps that always trash RG on delivery dates for a 2020 delivery or early 2021 don't realize that was based on the XX platform that they were just going to stretch and add a turbo motor, not a full ground up build. After they decided to go full bore with it is when those dates got pushed out.
At that point a lot changed and if you were an early master number you're definitely getting a damn good deal!
Speaking of from the beginning, @ZSTIV do you still have that Robby Gordon Fan Club t-shirt and orange sweats from 2003? 😁

1675817585744.jpeg

Fishd00d

Reaction score
So RG just said they are completly redoing the transmission case, the #18 lost a trans already and they took the #19's and swapped it in. All production units will get a new case and the ones in Havasu will be warranted out and get a new transmission once they get some.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
So RG just said they are completly redoing the transmission case, the #18 lost a trans already and they took the #19's and swapped it in. All production units will get a new case and the ones in Havasu will be warranted out and get a new transmission once they get some.
So what your saying is a stop riding could be coming lol

Singleton

Reaction score
How was this not identified during all the testing they were doing?
Or did someone change designs in production to trim costs?

ZSTIV

Reaction score
Just like this wasn’t caught by Polaris?
Shit happens, glad they’re addressing it now…
F93D830A-2C0F-4B24-B852-50453EBA0CD5.png
DF6EEC05-EF5F-42B9-ABEE-66DFCE2CF9FD.png
DCF18B7D-FC61-4826-8DA2-41796BC745FE.png

Fishd00d

Reaction score
So what your saying is a stop riding could be coming lol
I don't think you can stop something that didn't start.....but it sounds like they are going to deliver the cars they have next week still and just change the trans when they get them. So it'll be interesting to see if those ones in the cars last til then.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
They did identify the problem, that's why they already have new thicker transmission case's and different gears already in production and ready to ship.

ZSTIV

Reaction score
T
Sounds like people aren't going to be taking the cars home after the event. Saw this on facebook. I don't know which car he has.

View attachment 1197290
Thats opposite of what was just said on the live I believe. Also who is this guy? Friends and family? It’s the first customers that signed up lol seems butt hurt to me

702sandman

Reaction score
I guess I'll dip my bloody toe in this shark infested water...

I don't speak for Robby or Speed UTV, so I won't go into detail, that is on them. Believe me when I say that this is getting handled in real time. We know exactly what failed and why. The failure was not due to any design or engineering flaws. Those who are patient will be rewarded with a great car.

With that said, I have Polaris, Can-Am, and Wildcat XX transmissions and diffs piled in the shop right now, all with varying degrees of failures. So for everyone that wants to say their favorite brand is better and stronger than one another, swing by Weddle sometime and check out the pile of broken parts I have from all of them.
That’s the problem Sean, we are not here saying our cars are way better than the speed car….he is the one that’s saying the speed car is far superior to all the other brands. I will be the first to say I know my brand Polaris has issues here and there but I’m not on Here talking shit that my Polaris is far superior to his new speed car. my Friend that drove the speed car a couple months ago with Robbie told me this transmission issue was going to happen, especially with regular customers that don’t understand how to shift etc. hopefully he gets it sorted

702sandman

Reaction score

Joker

Reaction score
It's apparent you have no actual information of your own, only what you read on the rumor mill, and internet AKA "FAKE NEWS"

The parts were always going to made in multiple countries, including China, then they were to be "assembled" in the US, much like Polaris or even our big 3 car makers.
They have since assembled some cars completely in China, but that his moving to Vietnam now. I really don't care that they are assembled in Vietnam.

As far as waiting, yes it's been a long time, but lets be real about that, how long do people think it really takes to design, engineer, prototype, and then manufacture something completely from scratch? Something that has approximately 28000 parts.
Hell, Polaris took years on the ProR, Can-Am has been working for years on a new car, and those are not brand new companies. Automakers prototype and test cars for years as well before they are released.
I honestly can’t believe you’re questioning @Bullhead bully about production. He’s got more experience than 99% of people on here when it comes down to manufacturing and getting product to the general population.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I hope everyone on both sides of the fence watches that last update on IG in its entirety..

It would be pretty hard to talk down on it if ya did.. still delivering the cars, still taking people out in the dirt, don’t worry about anything.. your warranty starts when we get your new transmissions in..

He explains what broke and how.. explains they have taken their clothes off in front of everyone but the transparency doesn’t bother them.. they get people are making fun of them, but they are trying to build the best thing they can build..

As a customer I can say I am more than satisfied l. As a person that has started several successful businesses and several failures.. I can sympathize with the amount of pressure he is under and impressed with how well he is handling it. Is he making a few mistakes? Maybe.. but very few know what it’s like to be under that amount of pressure and under that much scrutiny 24/7.

Easy to sit back and talk from your couch when you collect a paycheck every week.. Whole different deal when your entire life is on the line and everyone in the world is watching.

Overall I am still very happy with my purchases.

RD

ZSTIV

Reaction score
I hope everyone on both sides of the fence watches that last update on IG in its entirety..

It would be pretty hard to talk down on it if ya did.. still delivering the cars, still taking people out in the dirt, don’t worry about anything.. your warranty starts when we get your new transmissions in..

He explains what broke and how.. explains they have taken their clothes off in front of everyone but the transparency doesn’t bother them.. they get people are making fun of them, but they are trying to build the best thing they can build..

As a customer I can say I am more than satisfied l. As a person that has started several successful businesses and several failures.. I can sympathize with the amount of pressure he is under and impressed with how well he is handling it. Is he making a few mistakes? Maybe.. but very few know what it’s like to be under that amount of pressure and under that much scrutiny 24/7.

Easy to sit back and talk from your couch when you collect a paycheck every week.. Whole different deal when your entire life is on the line and everyone in the world is watching.

Overall I am still very happy with my purchases.

RD
Well said RD!
I agree whole heartedly 👍🏻

pixrthis

Reaction score
This is very a simple answer….let off the gas when your front tires come off the ground. This happens all the time when people don’t lift. This is better than breaking the front diff or the output shaft in the tranny.
Lift when the front tires come off the ground? Have you driven in the dirt? If you answer yes then we drive differently which is cool.

Singleton

Reaction score
They did identify the problem, that's why they already have new thicker transmission case's and different gears already in production and ready to ship.
That is good to hear. I read it like they just identified that issue, similar to the oil barb fitting.
The warranty not starting until the new transmission is installed in your car was interesting to hear. I actually wonder how they got that approved by their warranty underwriters (that is not normal), but the right thing to do.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I honestly can’t believe you’re questioning @Bullhead bully about production. He’s got more experience than 99% of people on here when it comes down to manufacturing and getting product to the general population.
Thats not what I'm questioning, I was questioning his lack of facts in regards to what the car has evolved into now, and the subsequent changes in the timeline.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Lift when the front tires come off the ground? Have you driven in the dirt? If you answer yes then we drive differently which is cool.
This should be common practice, not lifting when your wheels leave the ground puts an ungodly amount of shock on your transmission when they recontact the ground.

pixrthis

Reaction score
This should be common practice, not lifting when your wheels leave the ground puts an ungodly amount of shock on your transmission when they recontact the ground.
Are you talking about lifting when tires are 3”’s off the ground or a foot? I don’t lift when the car is skimming across the top of bumpy terrain

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
I would suggest anyone curious regarding Bullhead Bully do a search of video BB running early morning River north LHC thru Needles and beyond @100 + till he turns around & Runs it again. Not once but year after year. This guy lifts only to turn around.
Also,surprised BB & RG not friends. RG having settled on LHC would be wise to have several sit downs with Bully.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I would suggest anyone curious regarding Bullhead Bully do a search of video BB running early morning River north LHC thru Needles and beyond @100 + till he turns around & Runs it again. Not once but year after year. This guy lifts only to turn around.
Also,surprised BB & RG not friends. RG having settled on LHC would be wise to have several sit downs with Bully.

Trying to understand your logic.

Driving a performance boat on the river at 100+ mph to Laughlin and back without incident is the qualification for knowing how Speed UTV manufacturers their SXS and runs their business? SMH

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Also,RG if you reading these RDP threads? Why are you not looking into your shipments of cars from China,Vietnam,wherever arrive @PORT Hueneme ,Ca. ?

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Trying to understand your logic.

Driving a performance boat on the river at 100+ mph to Laughlin and back without incident is the qualification for knowing how Speed UTV manufacturers their SXS and runs their business? SMH
Sorry you do not get the point there are people around here RG might want to know.
Regret you of all people mis understood. I’m doing my best to stay out of this thread and get back to what RDP meant to be about.

Reactions: DWC

Albacore

Reaction score
It's apparent you have no actual information of your own, only what you read on the rumor mill, and internet AKA "FAKE NEWS"

The parts were always going to made in multiple countries, including China, then they were to be "assembled" in the US, much like Polaris or even our big 3 car makers.
They have since assembled some cars completely in China, but that his moving to Vietnam now. I really don't care that they are assembled in Vietnam.

As far as waiting, yes it's been a long time, but lets be real about that, how long do people think it really takes to design, engineer, prototype, and then manufacture something completely from scratch? Something that has approximately 28000 parts.
Hell, Polaris took years on the ProR, Can-Am has been working for years on a new car, and those are not brand new companies. Automakers prototype and test cars for years as well before they are
As far back as I can remember, there have been RG fans and RG haters in the motorsports enthusiast networks. This seems just an extension of the ongoing debate.

I've experienced two things that prevent me from being a hater, but I'm not a Fanboy.
  • I see him take extra time with kids and try and connect and give them an opportunity to have a moment. I like that regardless of whatever he may or may not do.
  • While racing the Parker 425, I was driving as fast as possible on a pole-lined road with nowhere to get off course when I heard the scream of a Trophy truck over the cry of my 4.0 Jeepspeed. To my horror, I looked in the rearview mirror to find RG. He never hit, tapped, or bumped us. He gave us enough time to find a safe place to move off the single track, and he tore off. I will never forget that moment and appreciate he did not crash us, cause us harm, or put us slower guys at risk.
I would really love to see the Speed organization build a race program for its owners. I think it would be an epic program that would force the other OEMs to reconsider how it supports racing. Imagine how awesome Team Speed could be for people that dream of racing offroad.

I have been thinking of getting back into racing, and OEM support will likely sway which brand I invest in, more than which factory vehicle is the fastest.
He has already said he is building a race program and I thought for about $100,000 you get a hand built car and all the goodies of course they’re not concentrating on that right now as they have other items on their plate but he said that more than a few times in many of the prior videos. He also had said that less than 1% of their sales or people that were interested were actually going to be race teams. The general public is where their interests are and where most of their money will come from. Although you know how it goes what wins on Sunday sales on Monday.

kimbalee

Reaction score
I have no dog in this fight but we are out here at KOH and were doing some scouting towards the dunes behind Turkey Claw after the speed car was apparently towed back to the Ranch - had no idea Speed was even there but there it was all shiny and pretty - brand new speed utv tailgate lying in the dirt. We stopped I picked it up and was about to put it in the jeep and we got swooped on by 2 guys wearing Speed shirts in a green (Arctic Cat I think). They said to me "oh good u found it. Thanks" and they snatched it from me & took off towards Dave's place.

702sandman

Reaction score
Are you talking about lifting when tires are 3”’s off the ground or a foot? I don’t lift when the car is skimming across the top of bumpy terraini

I apologize for the simple answer. To break it down more I was referring to when the tires come off the ground under load, a good example is when someone would come off a jump and the front tires land first and the driver is still hard on the gas it puts all the load on the front diff or the driveline. When your going over whoops at at even speed your putting the load on all 4 wheels. in Worcs style racing this happened all the time so we had the drivelines cut and chromoly tubing installed in place of the Oem, we then had to update the output shaft to a 300m to avoid braking that, then we had to upgrade the front diff to stronger internals so we could stay on the gas more over hard terrain. the Small 3” stuff you reference can break a drive line in the right circumstances but not likely. id Say just lift if you are ever in a position where the front tires are going to land first. Hope this makes sence.

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
That’s the problem Sean, we are not here saying our cars are way better than the speed car….he is the one that’s saying the speed car is far superior to all the other brands. I will be the first to say I know my brand Polaris has issues here and there but I’m not on Here talking shit that my Polaris is far superior to his new speed car. my Friend that drove the speed car a couple months ago with Robbie told me this transmission issue was going to happen, especially with regular customers that don’t understand how to shift etc. hopefully he gets it sorted
We all know Robby, and his way of "marketing". LOL. I am just trying to keep everyone informed of what I see as an objective insider. I have no loyalties to any one brand (edit: I guess I do with Speed since I had a small hand in developing them, but I will gladly do what I can to improve any other brand that comes across my work bench).

The trans issue discovered last week was a surprise to all of us, but was not due to poor design, nor from shifting them. Since Robby said it in his video last night, I guess I can elaborate:

The housings were not the issue of the failure, the gear broke first, which wedged bits of gear teeth through the other gears and had enough force to push the shafts apart, splitting the cases. Robby saying they are adding material to the cases to strengthen them is really just an added benefit to prevent the cases from splitting like that and ruining the whole trans. Gears will eventually break over time and use, when they do finally let go, it is cheaper to not have to replace the entire case as we can just replace what is broken and repair the gearbox.

The gear breakage sucks. Robby called me immediately after the first one broke last week and we discussed. We had hoped it was a fluke failure based on what that transmission was subjected to. This was not a fault that Speed or Weddle could have known about on the variety of transmissions and diffs we have inspected since they came off the assembly line. The issue only became evident once subjected to that level of use. Real world testing will always find the weak links.

The good news is that it is somewhat of an easy fix, other than having to wait a bit longer for revised parts.

I will stand by that anyone who damages this trans because of shifting, is purely on the driver of the vehicle. It is a great feature of the gearbox, but requires knowledge of how to properly operate.

I'll sign off now, I need to get some more Pro-R and Can-Am prep work done before I head out to Hammertown this evening.

Last edited:

JBZ

Reaction score

jesco

Reaction score
Are you talking about lifting when tires are 3”’s off the ground or a foot? I don’t lift when the car is skimming across the top of bumpy terrain
I apologize for the simple answer. To break it down more I was referring to when the tires come off the ground under load, a good example is when someone would come off a jump and the front tires land first and the driver is still hard on the gas it puts all the load on the front diff or the driveline. When your going over whoops at at even speed your putting the load on all 4 wheels. in Worcs style racing this happened all the time so we had the drivelines cut and chromoly tubing installed in place of the Oem, we then had to update the output shaft to a 300m to avoid braking that, then we had to upgrade the front diff to stronger internals so we could stay on the gas more over hard terrain. the Small 3” stuff you reference can break a drive line in the right circumstances but not likely. id Say just lift if you are ever in a position where the front tires are going to land first. Hope this makes sence.
I think I can help a little here.... when your car does THIS.... lift you foot of the gas. 😅😅😅
00HF3276.JPG