WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Hook ‘em up🚁

C85E4066-AE74-4FE4-9F89-97C1ADB8F546.jpeg

jesco

Reaction score
Racer has to pay, its about 6K I believe.
OUCH!!! Thats what I figured, but was thinking $3k to $4k... hahaha. And thanks for all the intel and updates last week. All the KOH email updates were going to my junk folder on my phone and being our first time racing this event, we were a little lost at times. 🏁🏁🏁

DWC

Reaction score
A bunch... I wonder who is picking up the tab??? Is this part of the race, or does each guy have to pay $XXXX.xx to have their car lifted?
Fixed it. 😳

On a side note, seems like there would be a market for a “sea tow” type business for SXS’s in Havasu. Subscription based tow/extraction off-road deal.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
OUCH!!! Thats what I figured, but was thinking $3k to $4k... hahaha. And thanks for all the intel and updates last week. All the KOH email updates were going to my junk folder on my phone and being our first time racing this event, we were a little lost at times. 🏁🏁🏁
Racer has to pay, its about 6K I believe.
Blackhawk flight time is $10k/hr ish plus travel so it’s cheaper when they are already onsite. They called in the Blackhawk from Redlands this am. It has to go back and pickup the rigger after dropping off the cargo unless they have a second support helo helping

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

JBZ

Reaction score

Fishd00d

Reaction score
No more booth for me, im home now. RG is back in a 4400 car tomorrow!

Singleton

Reaction score

Should be interesting to watch.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score

Should be awesome in JP’s car!!

I think the last time he raced 4400 was in the torchmate TTB car??

topdog521

Reaction score
sorry, im not buying this. Gears wear out sure, but it takes a long time for that to happen. How many miles on this tranny before the "gear" broke? If gears are wearing out at say 2000 miles that is a major failure on Speeds part to have the tranny gone through for replacements before catastrophic failure. If this "race" car had 10k miles on it ill reverse my statement and say good life was met.

what vehicles do you own that "gears" wear out. Modern cars and trucks go 100K miles easy with proper maintenace and use. Race cars with full tilt power usually will make it a whole race.

I look at it this way. We could go 3-5 season on a 2D with 550 hp on a 2800# buggy before the ring and pinion would wear enough for replacement. If these trannys are llike that. get ready for big bills. Otherwise rzr, can am have failures too but not 100% of the vehciles have that failure. its usually do to driver error and or too much hp *tuned
You drove like a bitch if you got 3-5 seasons on a 2D in a 2800lb car. Sorry but I used to go through a 2D once a year in 430hp prerunner. That was babying it and built by the best in the bis.

#fakenews

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230210_205945_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230210_205945_Facebook.jpg
    628.6 KB · Views: 107

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
You drove like a bitch if you got 3-5 seasons on a 2D in a 2800lb car. Sorry but I used to go through a 2D once a year in 430hp prerunner. That was babying it and built by the best in the bis.

#fakenews
I did take it easy that’s for sure. At 7500 for rebuild I didn’t feel like dumping that every year

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Taking it easy in a 2D saying they last 5 years and trying to compare to KOH is apples and zebras.

Chill it out.
Anyone can kill a 2d in 2.0 seconds but that is because they don’t know how to drive. You fall into that category? Or you have so much money to burn it doesn’t bother you. I’m guessing the first one. Cuz anyone with money would automatically upgrade from a 2d to at least an s4 or fortin H pattern.

The speed car being a rubber band car. It shouldn’t break gear sets at all. All the shock and load is taken on the axles and the clutch assembly. A direct drive transmission doesn’t have any give.

My question to speed is the gear set is either undersized with little support in the case. Or the casting was bad and missed in a QC check. Unfortunately this isn’t a one off situation. I’m glad they have a 2.0 version coming asap. But that mean even more delays, a common theme with speed.

DLC

Reaction score
I sure miss Speed threads 1 & 2…..

I don’t have to check this thread every day

more like ever 2-3 days…..

Reactions: DWC

topdog521

Reaction score
Anyone can kill a 2d in 2.0 seconds but that is because they don’t know how to drive. You fall into that category? Or you have so much money to burn it doesn’t bother you. I’m guessing the first one. Cuz anyone with money would automatically upgrade from a 2d to at least an s4 or fortin H pattern.

The speed car being a rubber band car. It shouldn’t break gear sets at all. All the shock and load is taken on the axles and the clutch assembly. A direct drive transmission doesn’t have any give.

My question to speed is the gear set is either undersized with little support in the case. Or the casting was bad and missed in a QC check. Unfortunately this isn’t a one off situation. I’m glad they have a 2.0 version coming asap. But that mean even more delays, a common theme with speed.

Really? That's what you got? You don't know how to drive? I would say again you drive like a bitch to get 5 years out of a 2D or its parked in the garage for 5 years to get that.

Stop exaggerating the strengths of a 2D vs anything else because it's arguably the weakest trans in an offroad car and for sure the weakest trans you can put in front of a V8.

I've seen bus boxes and power glides outlast 2Ds in similar applications.

S4 isn't much of an upgrade if you know what you're talking about. Mendes in general are bottom of the barrel. Additionally the mounting points are way different and require a ton of fabrication especially on a rear engine car. Fortin you're talking twice the cost at least in addition to the mounting points.

Stop comparing a weak ass transaxle designed for a budget in which you see as the holy grail. I've smoked literally 6 2Ds, 0 rubber band trannys, and 3 turbo 400s over the course of 18 years.

Call it shit driving. I call it racing. I've raced or preran all of the above trannys.

Again, apples and zebras.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Really? That's what you got? You don't know how to drive? I would say again you drive like a bitch to get 5 years out of a 2D or its parked in the garage for 5 years to get that.

Stop exaggerating the strengths of a 2D vs anything else because it's arguably the weakest trans in an offroad car and for sure the weakest trans you can put in front of a V8.

S4 isn't much of an upgrade if you know what you're talking about. Mendes in general are bottom of the barrel. Additionally the mounting points are way different and require a ton of fabrication especially on a rear engine car. Fortin you're talking twice the cost at least in addition to the mounting points.

Stop comparing a weak ass transaxle designed for a budget in which you see as the holy grail. I've smoked literally 6 2Ds, 0 rubber band trannys, and 3 turbo 400s over the course of 18 years.

Call it shit driving. I call it racing. I've raced or preran all of the above trannys.

I’m not seeing your point. My point is gears shouldnt really break. What is your point?

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score

You sure shot out of the cannon pretty quick for being so new around here.......

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My son works for them, HP helicopters, he is an A&P for that Blackhawk. Normally that would be him in the red flight suit but he is off this week and home in Alabama for 10 days (they fly him back and forth, 10 on 10 off)

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
Fixed it. 😳

On a side note, seems like there would be a market for a “sea tow” type business for SXS’s in Havasu. Subscription based tow/extraction off-road deal.
Let's do it!!! I'm ready to get out of cal. Just not ready to stop working

DWC

Reaction score
Let's do it!!! I'm ready to get out of cal. Just not ready to stop working
Give me a couple years and I’m in. There will be no shortage of cars stuck around Havasu. We could haul out old RV’s as well. 😬.
I can rescue SXS’s in the winter and drive the Pirates Cove shuttle boat in the summer. The shit we’ll see ..

riverroyal

Reaction score
RDsux havasu rescue.
Speedy recovery

We need a company name

Is there really no recovery biz? Every time we get into a tough spot I start think about the what ifs.
Some spots you can't get trailer
Pulled, towed, winches would be tough also with the typical set ups weekend warriors have

DWC

Reaction score
RDsux havasu rescue.
Speedy recovery

We need a company name

Is there really no recovery biz? Every time we get into a tough spot I start think about the what ifs.
Some spots you can't get trailer
Pulled, towed, winches would be tough also with the typical set ups weekend warriors have
ROOT Recovery. (Ran Out Of Talent). Same here, we’ve been through a few spots where a wrong move would have put someone down a hill that would have been a SOB to retrieve with a SXS.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My son works for them, HP helicopters, he is an A&P for that Blackhawk. Normally that would be him in the red flight suit but he is off this week and home in Alabama for 10 days (they fly him back and forth, 10 on 10 off)
Don’t they do a ton of work for the utility companies placing poles?

Singleton

Reaction score
Don’t they do a ton of work for the utility companies placing poles?

Yes. Along with fire fighting and remote construction activities. Great group of guys. Had a few beers last year around the fire pit with them. This year the class 11 and 1600 car kept me too busy to have beers at the pit every night

@Deckin Around hosts them at his camp for hammers

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
4 or 5 guys pushed that Can Am across the finish line yesterday for the fun of it. :)
Everybody that cannot be at Johnson Valley today and tomorrow should just sit back enjoy the excellent almost commercial free coverage of KOH. Amazing anything crosses the finish line. Right now 3 classes running,tomorrow even better.
Phuck all this negative bullshit.

I'm pretty sure that Can-Am ran out of fuel.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The tricky recovery's are as much fun as the race. You can always learn something observing too. People aren't getting hurt,, it's all good - all fun.