WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speeding Ticket In California (75mph in a 70mph) Worth Fighting?

DaBank

Reaction score
Wife got a ticket on the 15 freeway for 75 in a 70 on the way to Mesquite NV, I was not with her but she was on a down hill section so she was probably speeding. Court is in Barstow on the 1st and she has not been sent any fine amount/traffic school information to pay and not attend court and no one answers Barstow court number.
She received what she "thought" was a copy of her speeding ticket awhile back and I just looked at it today and it is a ticket to me for tinted windows, she said the cop never mention anything about tint. So now I have a court date also on the 1st. The tint is correctable but my question should I call and get both court dates reschedule and then fight the speeding ticket for 5mph over ourselves or hire one of these ticket lawyers that say they will get the ticket dismissed for $99/$149?
We have always paid tickets and went to traffic school, but it has been 10 years since we had a ticket and it seems that people use these ticket lawyers now.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
Request a trial by declaration. Fill it out and send it in. If the citing officer doesn't complete his it will be dismissed. If not then you can always request a court date later. Best part is it doesn't cost you anything.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Look up the ticket doctor. 100 bucks and they take care of everything... takes about a year but they get it dismissed. Zero points.

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
How'd you get a ticket if you weren't there?

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I wrote lower tickets when the drivers were nice, but on the back of the cite have the real speeds and any statements so if taken to court, the judge can see i was just trying to give the motorist a break. I wasn't there, but a 5 mph cite over the speed limit sounds ridiculous.

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
Request a trial by declaration. Fill it out and send it in. If the citing officer doesn't complete his it will be dismissed. If not then you can always request a court date later. Best part is it doesn't cost you anything.
Do this but I would get an extension first, that way you'd be more into summertime and maybe catch the cop on vacation.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Nevada loves writing tickets near state lines. I have always felt that it’s like the Walmart greeter. And taking advantage of the downhill speeds. Not sure if fighting it is the right solution, however imo I think the fine be less if she showed up on court date. And hopefully a form of traffic school could offered (don’t know how Nevada runs things, but I do know they have pretty much zero tolerance).
The window tint ticket is kinda weird showing up at a different time with your name on it. Definitely look into that because tint laws outside of CA are different.

I was up the 15 last week in Utah and this caught me by surprise.

Adjustments.jpg

I think everyone was doing 95. I was comfortable at 85 [emoji1781][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I've fought every ticket i had from drag racing, speeding and red lights and beat every one
Speeding one I just showed up in court and the cop didn't. Judge told me to slow down and sent me on my way

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Wife got a ticket on the 15 freeway for 75 in a 70 on the way to Mesquite NV, I was not with her but she was on a down hill section so she was probably speeding. Court is in Barstow on the 1st and she has not been sent any fine amount/traffic school information to pay and not attend court and no one answers Barstow court number.
She received what she "thought" was a copy of her speeding ticket awhile back and I just looked at it today and it is a ticket to me for tinted windows, she said the cop never mention anything about tint. So now I have a court date also on the 1st. The tint is correctable but my question should I call and get both court dates reschedule and then fight the speeding ticket for 5mph over ourselves or hire one of these ticket lawyers that say they will get the ticket dismissed for $99/$149?
We have always paid tickets and went to traffic school, but it has been 10 years since we had a ticket and it seems that people use these ticket lawyers now.

The ticket was written to you for tint but you weren’t the one pulled over? Or you never had any interaction with the cops?

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
This is exactly what I do every ticket with a 90% success rate! No way will I ever just toss them more of my money without a fight🤜
I did this on a suggestion by LOF and it worked out perfectly

lavey jr

Reaction score

This! Plus the other mention of getting an extension.

I extended my court date as many times as possible and then wrote my fight in a good essay. Cop didn’t do his side and my ticket was dismissed.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Wow, 5 over and they popped her?! That for sure is a zero tolerance😒
or was the chp being generous and "only" writing it at 5 over?
My thoughts exactly. When I got my speeding ticket a long time ago I was courteous and explained I was being dumb and showing off for my GF. The officer wrote it down as 5 over rather than the actual speed... I think at a certain point it may be more serious like reckless driving but I don’t know. I’m sure the LEOs on here will know.

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
5 over ticket some cop had a bad day. Seen someone fight one in court For 5 over years ago it went. Like this.

your honor I was only going 70 with flow of traffic.
judge you know speed limit is 65
Speeder yes I do.
judge well 70 is faster than 65 guilty by your own admission pay the clerk.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
Usually there is a small box that has the actual speed. And then a larger box that has the cited speed. At least on my last few speeding tickets. NV and AZ. They cite you for basic speeding so you will pay with no points on your license.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm assuming the issuing department was CHP? If so they are required to show to court dates and is very unlikely the officer will miss. The written declaration would likely be your best bet for free. I am pretty curious if I know the officer that wrote it as I know a couple CHP that are assigned to that area.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
If you fight it and lose, you lose traffic school ability. Which on a speeding ticket will impact your insurance rate esp in CA. What’s your reason for fighting it? I fought a 95 in a 70 and won. But I had gps “max speed” records for my trip to prove it.

DaBank

Reaction score
This was a California CHP.
I am the registered owner so I recieved the tint ticket in the mail. My wife opened the tint ticket a month ago and thought they sent her a copy of her ticket.
I looked at the ticket this morning and said this is a ticket for me!!
She was driving my 2009 Gmc truck and had it on 75mph cruise control and was going down hill at the time.....I only say this because this truck will gain speed on cruise control down hill like 5mph. He asked her how fast she was going and she said 70 and he said closer to 80 and wrote the ticket at 75, he never asked her about tinted windows or even what relationship she was to the owner of the truck.

I am only asking if it is worth fighting so she does not have to spend time with traffic school and pay a fine, seems to me that would be at least $300 so if the the ticket guys could get it dismissed for $150 seems like a good.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Ticket doctor in Barstow could be a hit and miss. The judge is tuff when he wants to be. Most CHP show up in Barstow. This guy works miracles and has a great rep with the Barstow courts.

1847132F-5E09-4690-963E-A0EDAEFA01F5.jpeg

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I am only asking if it is worth fighting so she does not have to spend time with traffic school and pay a fine, seems to me that would be at least $300 so if the the ticket guys could get it dismissed for $150 seems like a good.

Tickets are ALWAYS worth fighting. Try what Roaddawg said first, and she can still request a trial if she gets a guilty verdict... and it’ll be dismissed if he doesn’t respond (he will though).

CHP will usually show up, as they are required to.., and the Barstow court is 25 steps from the Barstow CHP office. I’m there once a week, every week, and the current judge is somewhat of a hammer.

You may get lucky and have a non appearance by the officer (for a couple different reasons). She’d win in that case regardless of hiring an attorney or not.

Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions. It’s always good to know ALL the options available to you.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I remember making a CHP office laugh over a speeding ticket and he just gave me a warning. I was hauling ass on the freeway in my 1983 RX-7. I never saw the CHP and he pulled me over and asked me why I was speeding. I said my girlfriend wants to get pregnant tonight and I want to be there when it happens. He had a slight chuckle and told me to slow down if I want to make it home to her.

buck35

Reaction score
Wasn't there a thread about taking responsibility for ones actions this morning.GMAFB.🤣

River Runnin

Reaction score
Are you sure she didn't lay on the Horn and flip him the bird?? ;)

If not! .... It sounds like a power crazed revenue'n cop! ... A Fuk'n Moron at best!

neilbachman

Reaction score
The cop wrote what is called an owner responsibility ticket since your the owner and need to correct the tint. The cop technically got 2 citations from 1 stop by citing your wife for speeding and you the tint. You can let your imagination run as to why the CHP did this.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
If you fight it and lose, you lose traffic school ability. Which on a speeding ticket will impact your insurance rate esp in CA. What’s your reason for fighting it? I fought a 95 in a 70 and won. But I had gps “max speed” records for my trip to prove it.
Although the courts want you to believe this, the judge i dealt with always allowed traffic school after being found guilty.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
This was a California CHP.
I am the registered owner so I recieved the tint ticket in the mail. My wife opened the tint ticket a month ago and thought they sent her a copy of her ticket.
I looked at the ticket this morning and said this is a ticket for me!!
She was driving my 2009 Gmc truck and had it on 75mph cruise control and was going down hill at the time.....I only say this because this truck will gain speed on cruise control down hill like 5mph. He asked her how fast she was going and she said 70 and he said closer to 80 and wrote the ticket at 75, he never asked her about tinted windows or even what relationship she was to the owner of the truck.

Was it in the the "Safety Corridor" South of Barstow? If so, that could explain the 5mph over citation.

Most CHP cops are going to better prepared in traffic court over the average city/county cop. I would imagine the Barstow court is well aware of the speed issues and associated carnage on the 15. If you (your wife) contests this citation in court, you probably would not prevail. Other options mentioned can be good tactics: Trial by written declaration can be successful if the cop doesn't respond to it. The delay tactic can work if the cop happens to be on vacation when you finally request a trial date. Delaying can also work if the cop did not write any notes about the incident and he/she can't remember the incident months later. In my opinion, the best bet is an attorney who specializes in traffic tickets. First and foremost they are lawyers and know that local system and in many cases, they know many of the local cops. At bare minimum they can usually negotiate a settlement that will minimize the damage to you..

Good luck to you.

DaBank

Reaction score
The ticket says speed limit 70mph, safe speed 70mph and wrote ticket for 75mph. Ticket was given on the down hill drop into Baker.
The tint on the truck has been on it since new in 2008 and they are tinted to match the factory rear side windows so they are light/medium.
He never said anything to her about the tint or asked her to roll up the window to even check for film since this was at 8pm. I had to actually go look at the truck because I did not even think they where tinted.
Just a weird situation.
Normaly I would just pay because we could get a ticket everyday for something so it was just our turn.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Cal plates ? The vehicle goes by state laws say Nevada you can’t get a ticket in California for tint if it’s registered in Nevada , Callie tried that on me .

Dettom

Reaction score
This^^

DaBank

Reaction score
Cal plates ? The vehicle goes by state laws say Nevada you can’t get a ticket in California for tint if it’s registered in Nevada , Callie tried that on me .
California plates, California driver pulled over in California by California Highway Patrol. Was heading to Mesquite Nevada to visit family after a surgery.
It was a Friday night so I am thinking he was just not giving any breaks to speeders, but on the 15 on a Friday night she had to be one of the slower drivers.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I wrote lower tickets when the drivers were nice, but on the back of the cite have the real speeds and any statements so if taken to court, the judge can see i was just trying to give the motorist a break. I wasn't there, but a 5 mph cite over the speed limit sounds ridiculous.
Too funny. I passed an unmarked sheriff in a Suburban on a two lane road 55 limit. Off course I was quite a bit over that.
He walked around my Bimmer and I ended up with a no front plate citation.
Well, my line of work I deal with CHP. So, I asked one of our local officers if they can sign off on tickets. He said, what for, tinted windows. I said no front plate.
Long story short I never put a front plate on that car. 15 years and 220,000 miles later and it’s still running. Sold to a coworker.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
California plates, California driver pulled over in California by California Highway Patrol. Was heading to Mesquite Nevada to visit family after a surgery.
It was a Friday night so I am thinking he was just not giving any breaks to speeders, but on the 15 on a Friday night she had to be one of the slower drivers.
That sucks , I’m the guy @ 90 in the truck lane on Friday, it’s nascar and 3/4 don’t know how to drive both ways . I took PTO next week so Friday night TnB fast lane home to wifey 😎✊🏻

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
The only time I’ve fought a ticket I had to appear and plead not guilty, then they set another date for the CHP officer and I to appear so had to make two trips and time off work. Has this changed? Anyway, second court date the CHP officer that wrote the ticket showed up but the Newport Beach PD officer who pulled me over was a no show so dismissed. NBPD pulled me over because he kept slowing down and speeding up on the 215 Riverside/Corona area and with a large group of vehicles that were staying just behind him. I finally kept going when he slowed down again and he didn’t like that.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
If that old man the ticket doctor is still around and kicking please give that a try. That dude pulled me out of a serious tailspin in the early 90's with great success in San Diego which is where I think it started.
Could be an L,A, thing. Obviously a racket but who the fock cares. winning is grinning.
Looked a little deeper. They are an App now and Nation wide. Imagine that.
2 choices. Trial by declaration or pay the mob.

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Nevada loves writing tickets near state lines. I have always felt that it’s like the Walmart greeter. And taking advantage of the downhill speeds. Not sure if fighting it is the right solution, however imo I think the fine be less if she showed up on court date. And hopefully a form of traffic school could offered (don’t know how Nevada runs things, but I do know they have pretty much zero tolerance).
The window tint ticket is kinda weird showing up at a different time with your name on it. Definitely look into that because tint laws outside of CA are different.

View attachment 987057

Cops in Utah must have lightened up.

A little off subject ~ but the 80 speed limit sign brought it to mind.

Now my wife has gotten out of more than her fair share of tickets, including 2 photo tickets within 2 minutes of each other years ago going to Phoenix.

This time heading to Heber, UT for a reunion a few years back. She’d been doing over 90 mph earlier but was still surprised she got lit up. I said, your so good at getting out of tickets, let’s see how you do with a guy sitting in the car with you.

Cop comes up, asks where she’s going and how fast she was going. She says 83, he says I clocked you at 88, she says no way. I said we’re heading to Park City, she said something about wondering where our turn off was.

He goes back to run her info. & she says to me, why’d you tell him Park City, he’ll think I can afford a ticket. Cop is gone a long time so you figure it’s because he’s writing the ticket.

He comes back, says here’s your warning & here’s directions to where you’re going. Sorry it took so long, computer was slow. Then he said, watch your speed, this isn’t California and we don’t give you 10 over. Told her to be careful because the bigger tires throw off your speed about 5 mph. His radar 88 minus the 5 mph equaled the 83 she said. Idk, I just know she got out of another one. She was mad that she was now in the system for the day & would surely get a ticket if pulled over a 2nd time.

Also the same trip that she likes to say when she scratched Karl Malone’s ass but I don’t think it’s as funny as she does.

Might add that a friend’s son got pulled over for speed twice in Utah, both times with guns drawn. BLM ~ because he was DWB. Quite different than wife’s experience.

To the OP, your wife’s cop had to be a jerk having a bad day. Wife has also won a few times when the cop was a no show. CHP usually show. Good luck.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
That's what I did on my last ticket. I was on Hwy 58 headed to Havasu. It was a "Trial By Written Declaration".

In my case, I was acquitted (versus being dismissed). Meaning the CHP did respond, and I won the case.

THIS IS IMPORTANT...

In my case, When I did the trial by written declaration, I had to pay the fine up front,

AND THE IMPORTANT PART: I had to request in writing to go to traffic court if I was found guilty. If I hadn't requested, traffic court wouldn't have been an option. Luckily I asked about it. This was in Tehachapi County. I don't know if it is the same in every county.

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score

View attachment 987057

They have 80 mph speed limit on Hwy 80 in Northern Nevada. It is weird because. It is a big difference driving for an extended period at a higher speed than you are used to. Even if it is just 5-10 mph faster, you feel like things happen much faster and you have to pay closer attention to the road and conditions. Especially when you come up on someone driving 65 in an 80.
FB_IMG_1584493361340.jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

DaBank

Reaction score
I got a extension for both of our court dates till the middle of August.
Obviously my ticket is for tinted windows so I will not be fighting that, I just don't want to drive a hour to court two times when I can do everything on one visit.

If I do a Trail by written declaration I want to make sure if she does not win she is still able to go to traffic school, the ticket is from CHP and the court is in Barstow.

The one thing that I still don't understand is why he never said anything to her about the tint?
My ticket was mailed to me and my wife is listed as the driver and me as the registered owner.
He wrote " owners responsibility" in the signature location, why would he not have her sign this ticket also? I just feel like he wanted her to be surprised when my ticket came in the mail?

azsunfun

Reaction score
sign the ticket and you can go, not studying the the like a contract. its all on the ticket, he was off to get the next guy, always show up on ticket date and location.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Get a hold of Kilrtoy on the boards, he'll sign off the ticket for you.

DaBank

Reaction score
sign the ticket and you can go, not studying the the like a contract. its all on the ticket, he was off to get the next guy, always show up on ticket date and location.
She was driving alone and was given a ticket for speeding and she signed her ticket and went on her way.
He never said a word to her about tinted windows or for her to roll up the windows so he could check them.
We then received a ticket in the mail with her as the driver and me as the registered owner for tinted windows and ticket marked "Owners responsibility". The Chp wrote "Owners responsibility" in the signature location.

My question is why did he not inform her he was issuing a second ticket and have her sign it at the same time he had her sign the speeding ticket and give her the orginal ticket on the spot?
Why would he "sign it" and mail the orginal ticket and she receive two different court dates? Why not both citations on one ticket? Seems strange to me?

azsunfun

Reaction score
She was driving alone and was given a ticket for speeding and she signed her ticket and went on her way.
He never said a word to her about tinted windows or for her to roll up the windows so he could check them.
We then received a ticket in the mail with her as the driver and me as the registered owner for tinted windows and ticket marked "Owners responsibility". The Chp wrote "Owners responsibility" in the signature location.

My question is why did he not inform her he was issuing a second ticket and have her sign it at the same he had her sign the speeding ticket and give her the orginal ticket on the spot?
Why would he "sign it" and mail the orginal ticket and receive two different court dates? Seems strange to me?
seperate tickets with no tint test? unless he has pics , legallize tint and call him on it in court! i know pain in ass, taking work off to fight , lots of freinds thought i was wasting tax payer fund fighting tickets, i got to tell you nother like makeing a fool of the system. fun for me if i have too. good luck they srew the citizen any time the can!

DaBank

Reaction score
seperate tickets with no tint test? unless he has pics , legallize tint and call him on it in court! i know pain in ass, taking work off to fight , lots of freinds thought i was wasting tax payer fund fighting tickets, i got to tell you nother like makeing a fool of the system. fun for me if i have too. good luck they srew the citizen any time the can!
I am not fighting the tint ticket, I will just remove it.
I will fight the speeding ticket for 5mph over on the freeway. I just think it is weird he did not give her the ticket or have her sign it.

Tumblewood

Reaction score
Current California Statute: The speedometer shall indicate the vehicle's speed in miles per hour or kilometers (km) per hour and shall be accurate to within plus or minus 5 miles per hour (8 km/hour) at a speed of 50 miles per hour (80 km/hour). So the tic is within legally recognized variation. Fed says *RECOMMEND* 10% at 60mph. Basically an automatic toss if you ask for a trial if they push it.