WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sport chassis or f450?

goshen82

Reaction score
My dad just bought a mystic 38 cc and we have been using one of our work trucks to pull it down to Newport since our f250s won’t pull it. We are thinking sport chassis but have heard that the 2wd ones don’t do well on the launch ramp. We are going to tow it to loto and Florida to boat so we were thinking sport chassis but don’t want to have issues pulling the boat out. Anyone use a sport chassis and have trouble. Pic of boat for reference on what we are pulling.

Attachments

• C52FA575-5A93-44B2-8241-7C03826E9689.jpeg
    C52FA575-5A93-44B2-8241-7C03826E9689.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 519

hallett21

Reaction score
Are you going 2wd either way? 4x4 sport chassis?

For the kind of mileage you’re talking I would say get the sport chassis. Heavier truck that will do better in wind etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I believe Steve has done a ton of research on this and recently bought a sport chassis @nganga

Maybe he’ll chime in with his thoughts.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
i had a 4x4 F450 and a 2wd Sportchassis. towed my 38 Cigarette and Formula 400ss
Towed all over the country,
Zero comparison the Sportchassis is the hot ticket.
Better mileage
better range
rides better
turns better
you can ride in it all day and be comfortable
2wd and never had a issue at any place
also in the long run the sport chassis was way cheaper to run, it doesn't depreciate like the F450
The only thing that i found that the ford was better at was going thru drive thrus
IMG_2610.JPG

goshen82

Reaction score
No if we go f450 it will be 4x4 and I know they make a 4x4 sport chassis they Are harder to find and don’t really want to buy brand new. The truck is always going to stay with boat so just trying to see if we a 2wd sport chassis will work or if I will have problems at ramp. I’m using a f450 work truck right now to tow to Newport and it’s 2wd but the wheels don’t touch water when we launch there.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
No if we go f450 it will be 4x4 and I know they make a 4x4 sport chassis they Are harder to find and don’t really want to buy brand new. The truck is always going to stay with boat so just trying to see if we a 2wd sport chassis will work or if I will have problems at ramp. I’m using a f450 work truck right now to tow to Newport and it’s 2wd but the wheels don’t touch water when we launch there.
At Dana Point no problem
1602119535475.jpeg

skater40

Reaction score
The new 450s have more hp and torque and will easily pull and launch that boat.I have had a freight liner and I will never go back to one. The F450 is so much more comfortable and the storage in the truck and bed with a remote bed cover is way better as is the mileage towing than the freight liner.

pkbullet

Reaction score
I only have experience with the 450, but really like the truck. The new ones have the 10 speed tranny and should get better mileage with the 4.30 gear. Obviously I am towing less boat, but it is overkill for mine. I am going to buy a 340 Nortech and will continue to use this truck.
CBBD91D7-AC84-4D7D-ACAA-2B82466C411B.jpeg
14DC4210-BEA6-4AC8-8C90-37439639B816.jpeg

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I only have experience with the 450, but really like the truck. The new ones have the 10 speed tranny and should get better mileage with the 4.30 gear. Obviously I am towing less boat, but it is overkill for mine. I am going to buy a 340 Nortech and will continue to use this truck. View attachment 930195 View attachment 930197

Not a big fan of camper shells but that's BaddAss! 👍👍👍

hallett21

Reaction score
The new 450s have more hp and torque and will easily pull and launch that boat.I have had a freight liner and I will never go back to one. The F450 is so much more comfortable and the storage in the truck and bed with a remote bed cover is way better as is the mileage towing than the freight liner.

How’d the new boat turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
My dad just bought a mystic 38 cc and we have been using one of our work trucks to pull it down to Newport since our f250s won’t pull it. We are thinking sport chassis but have heard that the 2wd ones don’t do well on the launch ramp. We are going to tow it to loto and Florida to boat so we were thinking sport chassis but don’t want to have issues pulling the boat out. Anyone use a sport chassis and have trouble. Pic of boat for reference on what we are pulling.

@rivrrts429 is correct. I had the exact same questions and issues. I asked this over on OSO, there tends to be a bigger percentage of bigger, heavier boats on that site. I was given personal experiences of quite a few that had problems on ramps. I pretty much had my mind made up to go with a Sport Chassis, just couldn't decide on 2 or 4WD.

I also have an issue that my wife will be in charge of launch/retrieve duties and I don't want to put her in a bad spot with a truck/trailer sliding backwards on a snotty ramp.

I wrote off a F450 pretty quick due to the tow weight of my boat/trailer. I'll be at 21-22,000 pounds, tilted. regardless of what Ford (or anyone else) says, that's a very large, very heavy sail. I wanted a bigger and heavier tow rig with proportionally bigger/better brakes. If everything goes right, an F450 would surely do. But when and if things go sideways, I want a truck sized chassis.

Couple things to consider. 4WD's (P4XL) are air brake chassis and the 2WD are not. Which leads down another rabbit hole of CDL's.

They drive very comfortable, I drove to Skater last November, hauling my trailer back there. It weighs 11-12K. I really didn't feel it behind me, other than flattening out the ride some. I got ~8 MPG, which is cool with me. I gotta make another trip back there in probably December to pick the boat up.

I shopped around the entire country, P4XL's with low mileage are hard to find. Sport Chassis only builds a couple a year. I wound up buying a low mileage 2015 from Extreme Sport Chassis in Redlands, Ca. Great buying experience, Scott, the owner is super chill.

Mine is a Cummins' 350 with an Allison 6 speed. Perfect.

Besides all that, they look bad-azz.

sportchassis3.jpg

goshen82

Reaction score
Thanks for all the response definitely a lot to think about.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
@rivrrts429 is correct. I had the exact same questions and issues. I asked this over on OSO, there tends to be a bigger percentage of bigger, heavier boats on that site. I was given personal experiences of quite a few that had problems on ramps. I pretty much had my mind made up to go with a Sport Chassis, just couldn't decide on 2 or 4WD.

I also have an issue that my wife will be in charge of launch/retrieve duties and I don't want to put her in a bad spot with a truck/trailer sliding backwards on a snotty ramp.

I wrote off a F450 pretty quick due to the tow weight of my boat/trailer. I'll be at 21-22,000 pounds, tilted. regardless of what Ford (or anyone else) says, that's a very large, very heavy sail. I wanted a bigger and heavier tow rig with proportionally bigger/better brakes. If everything goes right, an F450 would surely do. But when and if things go sideways, I want a truck sized chassis.

Couple things to consider. 4WD's (P4XL) are air brake chassis and the 2WD are not. Which leads down another rabbit hole of CDL's.

They drive very comfortable, I drove to Skater last November, hauling my trailer back there. It weighs 11-12K. I really didn't feel it behind me, other than flattening out the ride some. I got ~8 MPG, which is cool with me. I gotta make another trip back there in probably December to pick the boat up.

I shopped around the entire country, P4XL's with low mileage are hard to find. Sport Chassis only builds a couple a year. I wound up buying a low mileage 2015 from Extreme Sport Chassis in Redlands, Ca. Great buying experience, Scott, the owner is super chill.

Mine is a Cummins' 350 with an Allison 6 speed. Perfect.

Besides all that, they look bad-azz.

View attachment 930242

That's an awesome truck. Is is going to get a wrap or paint to match your boat?

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
That's an awesome truck. Is is going to get a wrap or paint to match your boat?

Thank you.

I was thinking paint but the thought of having to repaint it again to sell isn’t very appealing.

So I’m thinking I’ll wrap it to match the boat.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
2wd F650 literally idles my boat up a launch ramp. Release the air brake and let my foot off the brake pedal and it just walked right up. Granted I’m not towing nearly as much as that CC will be. But plenty of people towing Big boats with 2wd F650s and Sportchassis. Biggest positive in my book: F650 (not sure about Sportchassis) holds 200 gallons of fuel = long range and no worries about finding a gas station big enough for your rig.

Also it’s for sale:
873177B7-4A7A-44BD-B196-0E9DF0713DD3.jpeg

Dr Rob

Reaction score
This is what it looks like with a bed on it. D16 Volvo, 600 horsepower, 2150 torque, locking differentials with inter differential lock. Drives like a big dually with extremely sharp turning capabilities. Auxiliary power unit will separate AC and heat and battery charging capabilities.

goshen82

Reaction score
2wd F650 literally idles my boat up a launch ramp. Release the air brake and let my foot off the brake pedal and it just walked right up. Granted I’m not towing nearly as much as that CC will be. But plenty of people towing Big boats with 2wd F650s and Sportchassis. Biggest positive in my book: F650 (not sure about Sportchassis) holds 200 gallons of fuel = long range and no worries about finding a gas station big enough for your rig.

Also it’s for sale:
View attachment 930383
Send me details on it I may be interested or if you have an ad somewhere shoot me the link

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
At the end of the day, if you have a 2wd and you get a slime covered ramp you’re going to slide. Sport chassis or F whatever. The motor is in the front of the truck and the back of the boat, makes for light drive wheels. Site 6 is indiscriminate.

The question you can ask yourself, are the boat ramps you’re going to visit busy? If your rig is long enough to keep the back wheels dry then you’re good. Covid and the demand on toys has extended the wet slick up the ramp substantially.
My thought is, if you’re spending the cash on that boat and looking for a truck fit to tow it. You shouldn’t be scared of the MPG or cost of the truck. The money was spent on the bad ass boat, may as well spend it on a bad ass 4x4 sport truck too.

Or don’t and we will all laugh at you when you sink it

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
At the end of the day, if you have a 2wd and you get a slime covered ramp you’re going to slide. Sport chassis or F whatever. The motor is in the front of the truck and the back of the boat, makes for light drive wheels. Site 6 is indiscriminate.

The question you can ask yourself, are the boat ramps you’re going to visit busy? If your rig is long enough to keep the back wheels dry then you’re good. Covid and the demand on toys has extended the wet slick up the ramp substantially.
My thought is, if you’re spending the cash on that boat and looking for a truck fit to tow it. You shouldn’t be scared of the MPG or cost of the truck. The money was spent on the bad ass boat, may as well spend it on a bad ass 4x4 sport truck too.

Or don’t and we will all laugh at you when you sink it
Difference is the medium duty trucks weigh a ton more. 12-15k+ pounds depending on configuration. There’s always weight on the rear tires.

Also what makes it tow so nice for long trips, it’s like towing with a tank, you’re not gonna get blown all over the road by wind or passing trucks.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

How much tongue weight would you guess this boat has?

C52FA575-5A93-44B2-8241-7C03826E9689.jpeg

Steve Combs

Reaction score
A little over kill for the daytona , but hooked up to the horse trailer she does the job with zero effort , safety was our primary purpose , you can't go wrong with the sport chassis , as stated above what you spent on the boat fuel economy should be your last concern. Fill her up and hammer down

Attachments

• FullSizeR(6).jpg
    FullSizeR(6).jpg
    304 KB · Views: 318

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
A little over kill for the daytona , but hooked up to the horse trailer she does the job with zero effort , safety was our primary purpose , you can't go wrong with the sport chassis , as stated above what you spent on the boat fuel economy should be your last concern. Fill her up and hammer down

Nice rig there Neighbor.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Food for thought: An F450 and the international are not designed to be comparable. That's why Ford makes the F650/750. That and the IH are direct competitors.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Truck&Boat 2.jpg

Two things! ...
They look a Shitload better than a....pickup! ;) 🤭 .... And ...
You'd never have to worry about towing capacity for your Biggest 5th wheels or toy haulers! 😁

Attachments

• Truck-N-Boat 01.jpg
    Truck-N-Boat 01.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 127

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score

Based on the photo it looks like we may be neighbors. I am near Shea and FLW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Based on the photo it looks like we may be neighbors. I am near Shea and FLW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Negative. He lives two doors down from me. We're Lake Pleasant Pkwy and Happy Valley

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure about the rumor the New F450 has 100 less HP than the F350?
Two guys were arguing it at the bar yesterday.
Damfino.