WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Spring Cleaning ! ! !

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Why was I hanging on to yearbooks dating back almost 40 years ?!?!?!?
How about a set of Encyclopedias and Dictionary's from 1963 ??? 🀣
Plenty more to purge, but . . . .

I found these little gems in a plastic sleeve . . .

Mom & Pops receipt for a room they were renting in 1954 !!!! . . . $37.50 / MONTH !!!!
A copy of their marriage license with the LA County Clerk . . . . $2.00 !!!
And a pic. of my Mom all gussied up ! πŸ˜†

Good Stuff ! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

IMG_1004.jpeg

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score

I found this these little gems in a plastic sleeve . . .

Mom & Pops receipt for a room they were renting in 1954 !!!! . . . $37.50 / MONTH !!!!

Good Stuff ! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

View attachment 1236849
Some cool family history there, I struggle with all the stuff I've collected over the years - stuff from family, stuff my Mom saved me from grade school, picture albums, trinkets from my youth, yearbooks, all that junk that has memories, but I haven't pulled it out to look at it in 20-30yrs. And I may not for 20 more. Kind of hope someday my Grandkids may want to see it, but probably not..... What do you guys do with all that stuff!!

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Some cool family history there, I struggle with all the stuff I've collected over the years - stuff from family, stuff my Mom saved me from grade school, picture albums, trinkets from my youth, yearbooks, all that junk that has memories, but I haven't pulled it out to look at it in 20-30yrs. And I may not for 20 more. Kind of hope someday my Grandkids may want to see it, but probably not..... What do you guys do with all that stuff!!
Was kind of my dilemma too.
But then I thought about it . . . I'm not married, no kids, . . . no plans for either. Haven't talked to either of my sisters in 10+ years.
So I'm just a solo cholo.
I've been ditching everything, except for small light weight items that don't take up space . . . unlike the 'formal china set with service for 10' . LOL.

The next project is to buy a scanner and digitize all the photos from all the albums . . . last count was 24 !!!
I never look at them, and they aren't getting any better in their current state.

My Mom kept everything . . . I even found my 'Kindergarten Graduation' certificate !!! πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

cofooter

Reaction score
Was kind of my dilemma too.
But then I thought about it . . . I'm not married, no kids, . . . no plans for either. Haven't talked to either of my sisters in 10+ years.
So I'm just a solo cholo.
I've been ditching everything, except for small light weight items that don't take up space . . . unlike the 'formal china set with service for 10' . LOL.

The next project is to buy a scanner and digitize all the photos from all the albums . . . last count was 24 !!!
I never look at them, and they aren't getting any better in their current state.

My Mom kept everything . . . I even found my 'Kindergarten Graduation' certificate !!! πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ€£
Scanner is a great idea

Taboma

Reaction score

Good Stuff ! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

View attachment 1236849
"Gussied Up" --- ahhh hell, my Grandmother (Mom's mom) wouldn't go out for tacos or a burger unless she presented herself in this manner.
I'd go stay with my Aunt and Uncle in Long Beach, my uncle Jack, who was a retired painter, would be dressed in his suit jacket, tie and coat just to drive he and I in his newer 1951 Chevy to the barber shop. His manner of dress was the rule, far more than the exception in those times.

My dad got a ticket from the Long Beach police for 'Indecent Exposure' on the beach adjacent to the Long Beach Pike in the early 1930's, because he didn't have his breasts covered. :oops:

In early 1970's Frankfurt Germany, the X-WWII German Soldiers I worked with in the Army Facilities Electric Shop, wore suits and ties to work morning and evenings and carried their lunches in brief cases as they rode public transportation both ways. They'd change in the shop's locker room and shower and change before heading home. I will add, that working with German WWII vets who'd all served time as American POWs was an enlightening experience.

Fast forward to today, I haven't owned a suit or dinner jacket or a even a tie since they all burned in 07' 😁

PS: The things I miss the most that I/we, lost in the fire, are those exact "Memory Keepers and refreshers" you're now digging through.
Having no pictorial reference to my first 59 years, including all those HS year books, 24 years of this my 3rd marriage, my parents, their parents, truly sucks --- protect those things, some day they will be highly coveted as those visions stored in your head begin to fade.

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Been cleaning up some myself this morning. Im waiting on an overnight part to get here so I can get a boat back on the water for this weekend. I cleared out about 8 boxes of crap and found a whole box worth of "shop rags" that should come in handy!
16856346794842598560733698010449.jpg

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Been cleaning up some myself this morning. Im waiting on an overnight part to get here so I can get a boat back on the water for this weekend. I cleared out about 8 boxes of crap and found a whole box worth of "shop rags" that should come in handy! View attachment 1237121
I feel a little better after seeing that pic. . . . . I'm guessing I have 200+ tshirts I haven't looked at in YEARS !

Backlash

Reaction score
Scan as many of the pictures and other documents before they deteriorate any further. If for some reason you need to recreate the original, simply print it off from the scanned copy. Then transfer all those images to an external hard drive so you can keep that someplace safe. It's what I've been slowly working through too......borderline therapeutic. πŸ‘

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Scan as many of the pictures and other documents before they deteriorate any further. If for some reason you need to recreate the original, simply print it off from the scanned copy. Then transfer all those images to an external hard drive so you can keep that someplace safe. It's what I've been slowly working through too......borderline therapeutic. πŸ‘
Thanks for that . . . yeah, I've been reading photo scanner reviews . . . looks like anything under $400 comes with plenty of free glitches and software problems.
Looks like I'm gonna have to pony-up and get a decent one . . . can't put a price on memories. πŸ™

cofooter

Reaction score
Thanks for that . . . yeah, I've been reading photo scanner reviews . . . looks like anything under $400 comes with plenty of free glitches and software problems.
Looks like I'm gonna have to pony-up and get a decent one . . . can't put a price on memories. πŸ™
Let us know what you end up getting and if you like it?

HBCraig

Reaction score

Good Stuff ! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

View attachment 1236849
Very cool
My Dad still has a full set of his old encyclopedias

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
I have a permanent set up in my lower level for digitizing family print photos during rainy days, etc. Some go back over a hundred years. Scanning is great for documents, but a high resolution photos of older prints gives me great results.
20230603_140407.jpg
20230603_140428.jpg

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Old pix to digital......
I was just sitting at the kitchen table with my phone doing that yesterday !

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I have a permanent set up in my lower level for digitizing family print photos during rainy days, etc. Some go back over a hundred years. Scanning is great for documents, but a high resolution photos of older prints gives me great results.
View attachment 1237843 View attachment 1237844
Awesome Set Up !
Mind me asking what camera are you using???
I have a Sony a7iii . . . but it's only 24 megapixels . . . I do have some good glass though.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Nothing exotic. Cannon DSLR, stand and lights from Amazon. Remote shutter trigger is a must. Don't bust my ass on the lens dust....:)
20230603_213038.jpg

20230603_213122.jpg
20230603_213030.jpg

Attachments

• 20230603_213122.jpg
    20230603_213122.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
New phone cameras are amazing, just hard to hold still. I believe any method to save memories for family is acceptable.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Thanks @OLDRAAT πŸ™ . . . I think you just saved me a bunch of money, time, & headaches.
From my initial research, a decent scanner looks to start at around $500+
. . . but these are pretty cheap on Amazon ! . . . πŸ˜†

download.jpg