WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

STA-BIL "marine" gas treatment

22Howard

Reaction score
Has anybody used the "Marine" STA-BIL gas treatment? How is it different from the regular "red" stuff?

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Always used the red with no issues, sorry never tried the marine stuff, to much money for the same stuff IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The only stuff to use is Star Tron in the blue bottle IMHO.
It's the only stuff I hear of not serious causing side-effects issues for people.
Don't store your boat with a full tank of fuel for several reasons.
One being less treatment and also you'll top of the gas with lots of fresh gas when ya run it next.
I would't take the word of anyone selling you something.

10172590.jpg

Walmart had it cheap but I think they ran the price up when it became known and popular.
I buy it at Yamaha for half the price of Wal Mart

Free advise is worth what ya paid for it.

Last edited:

GregG

Reaction score
They only stuff to use is Star Tron in the blue bottle. Walmart had it.

I also use Star Tron. I left one of my boats sitting for over a year with the stuff and a 1/4 tank of 87. Filled it up with 93 and ran it last week with zero issues.

dave29

Reaction score
I use POR15 fuel stabilizer. Been using it in my cars, bikes and boats for 8 years. 1oz per 3 gallons. Lasts 2 years. Never had a problem.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I've used it (Sta-bil Marine) this summer and let my boat sit for a month or so between my trips. I put another 40 gallons or so in the boat like I always do and IMHO the throttle felt better on my warm up lap. I was kind of impressed at how much better it felt so I use the sta-bil marine now.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I use the red stuff in just about everything. In addition to water toys we have to winterize all of our lawn equipment, I also winterize my Harley. I use red STA-BIL in all of My stuff and have never had any issues.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Blue sta-bil is supposed to be better for ethanol. When it first came out it said for ethanol, now it says Marine. I've used the blue for a couple of years, seems to work fine, only problem, after about 6 months the unused portion in the bottle turns brown and I wont use it.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I ask all my customers to use Sea Foam. After many years of trying all the others it has worked out best and does a much better job of keeping the fuel system clean and gas stabilized for layover.

FLATS ONLY

Reaction score
Old Stabil does not work with ethanol fuel. New stuff does work but I only use the mercury stuff. I know it works and mercury had to come up with something good because warranty fuel issues were killing them.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I have used the red Stabil in the boat, 4 wheelers, chain saws and weed wackers for quite a few years now without any problems. I was also using Lucas injector cleaner on a regular basis but know I can't find the website link to order it anymore. I found that we have a lot less fuel related problems when we use Lucas on all of our power equipment at the fires stations.

Director...
Reaction score
End of season gas from my boat ...powers my buddies at ProBoat's forklift...:thumbup:

2Driver

Reaction score
How many different chemicals are approved to put in your fuel? I'm guessing 90% of them are all the same stuff. It would help to know which chemicals work best in certain conditions not which brands.

Right or wrong I've used the basic stabil for no other reason than its on the shelf. My October gas gets run out in May every year, never a single problem but that is with EFI. It would be nice to know more about this from a chemical perspective and not a marketing perspective.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I have used the red stabil for years without any problems.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I just started using it in the motorhome. The ethanol fuels now clogged the carb in the generator so it wouldn't start, mechanic said using the marine stabil would solve the problem from happening again.

DrHW

Reaction score
Star Tron here and it has worked great for three years.

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
I use the Lucas ethanol fuel additive in anything being stored. I put it in my toyhauler and the next season i noticed the generator started much easier.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I just looked into this today and the following is from Wal-Mart's website.

STA-BIL Marine Formula Ethanol Fuel Treatment and Stabilizer is the best ethanol problem fighter. This is more than four times the fuel system cleaner than the regular STA-BIL and double the corrosion fighter. STA-BIL Marine prevents corrosion from moisture and ethanol-induced water attraction. If you are using ethanol blended fuel in your marine application, Gold Eagle recommends STA-BIL Marine with every fill up, not just for storage.

I will start using the marine version in my boat now.

Also noticed that the 32 ounce bottle of the Marine version is about $21 and the regular version 32 ounce bottle is about $9. These prices are at Wal-Mart and are much higher at autoparts stores.

Has anybody used the "Marine" STA-BIL gas treatment? How is it different from the regular "red" stuff?

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I was using the Red stuff until I found the Marine Sta-Bil last year.
Stuff works great. Carb stays nice and clean :)

Wadernation

Reaction score
I was using the Red stuff until I found the Marine Sta-Bil last year.
Stuff works great. Carb stays nice and clean :)

good to know. Just started using it this last year and was hoping the boat being stored all winter would have zero issues.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I started using the marine blue stuff a few years ago, but now it's called marine 360, and even a little higher in price.

Don't really know if 360 is any better, but haven't had any problems.:thumbsup

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
good to know. Just started using it this last year and was hoping the boat being stored all winter would have zero issues.

Should be good to go!

I always fill my tanks then add the stabilizer and run the engine to get the stabilizer into the carb before shutting down.

Less condensation with the tanks full :thumbsup

rush1

Reaction score
Sta Bil works by floating on top of the gas in the tank and sealing off the oxygen from getting to the fuel , Fuel cant go bad or oxidize without oxygen getting to it . If you shake your boat with it in the tank it turns to bubbles for a while until it stops moving and well them reseal the air from getting to the fuel . Alway make sure you put enough in the tank or it wont do anything .

Wadernation

Reaction score
Sta Bil works by floating on top of the gas in the tank and sealing off the oxygen from getting to the fuel , Fuel cant go bad or oxidize without oxygen getting to it . If you shake your boat with it in the tank it turns to bubbles for a while until it stops moving and well them reseal the air from getting to the fuel . Alway make sure you put enough in the tank or it wont do anything .

no shit? good to know. Since i tote my cans to the river to top the boat off..i just add the sta-bil in each can with the gas. that way its ready to go..even if stored for awhile in the garage.

rush1

Reaction score
Moho geny carb float bowl.....

ysegetug.jpg

Onan requires you run that generator for an hour a month under load to keep that from happening, also I'd only use a quality name brand fuel, mines diesel and I'll only buy fuel that sells a lot of fuel so I don't get any bad fuel. There's no additive made to keep the fuel from evaporating from the float bowl and that's what causes your problem. Looks like that's off of a Onan micro lite generator

JuevosRancheros

Reaction score
FuelMedRX_1gallon copy.jpg

I experienced mixed results with Sta-bil in my dirtbikes and CT 70s. Learned about this stuff from a crusty old Yamaha factory mechanic and have been very pleased. I buy it at local Yamaha dealer, but have seen it in a couple Walmart locations. There are three sizes available, single use, measured bottle, and gallon. They have another product called Engine Med Rx. They are not the same.