WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

STacy went and Test Drove some Fords yesterday..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
She drove the "Flex" and loved it.. but it's a bit small. The dealership didn't have any new Expeditions. She also drove an F150 Platinum & a F250 fully loaded..

For right now the F150 Platinum is in the lead, but 56 Grand? Holy smokes that's a lot of money for an 18 thousand dollar truck.. LOL

We're getting them narrowed down Dan, and will be in touch soon.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I love the Flex.

If it came with a V8 the Superduty could get retired.

Yeah, $56K for a 1/2 ton is a bit much.

Absolutely.. If it could tow the same as say a "Durango" we'd be more interested. I don't need to tow 10K.. But the occasional boat is nice.

RD

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I think the twin-turbo V6 has the beans of a V8...but the rest of the platform isn't up to towing duties. Looks like 4,500 lb. max rating.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think the twin-turbo V6 has the beans of a V8...but the rest of the platform isn't up to towing duties. Looks like 4,500 lb. max rating.

If they upped that to like 6K I think that'd be sufficient for my needs.

RD

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
That Platinum is a lot of truck, you can save about $5k and get a real nice Lariat with all the bells and whistles.

The Eco-Boost Flex is ridiculous fast, and one nice ride. The beefed up chassis and towing capacity has been brought up several times. Maybe Ford will listen and build one in the future.

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
I love the Flex.

If it came with a V8 the Superduty could get retired.

Yeah, $56K for a 1/2 ton is a bit much.

BTW, I went to grab you a jacket last week and we're out of stock. 4 weeks for an order, guess the jacket guy is real slow now and waits for big orders before manufacturing. You want one of the black button downs? Short Sleeve or Long? Thought you might get more use out of one of those with the nice weather.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
BTW, I went to grab you a jacket last week and we're out of stock. 4 weeks for an order, guess the jacket guy is real slow now and waits for big orders before manufacturing. You want one of the black button downs? Short Sleeve or Long? Thought you might get more use out of one of those with the nice weather.

Hhhhhrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm....

Lol

RD

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
Here's a truck I just delivered to long time customer. This is a 2wd Platinum with a leveling kit and 20" wheels put on by Outlaw Offroad. Came out pretty nice huh? He literally picked it up, stopped by his home to pick up the family and took it straight to Havasu.

Attachments

• Edge Sport 002.jpg
    Edge Sport 002.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 272
  • Edge Sport 003.jpg
    Edge Sport 003.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 267

BadBlown572

A/B Team Liaison
Reaction score
56k for a half ton. no thanks.

Thats my thought. I love the Fords (non diesel), but $58k for a gas truck is absolutely crazy. I just priced out a new 2010 Duramax 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 FULLY LOADED and it came out to $52k. Sounds like a much better investment to me!

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
Whats the diff between Platinum and Lariat?

Are they gonna do a Superduty Platinum?

Did they finally put Sync in the Superduty? Fockers :skull But I say that in the nicest way :D

No SD Platinum, but they will have th Lariat Ultimate or the King Ranch. I have a Lariat Ultimate on order for stock, I'll let you know when it get here and you can check it out. And yes, since 2009 we have the SYNC system in the Super Duty's. :thumbsup I always thought that was BS that a $18k Focus had it, but the $50k trucks didn't.

PLATINUM:

All LARIAT content, plus:
Exterior
• Body color door handles with chrome
strap
• Body color front and rear bumpers
• Bright bodyside accent moldings
• Chrome tip exhaust
• Chrome front tow hooks (4x4 only)
• Platinum fender badge
• Power deployable running boards
• Power fold side mirrors with power,
heat, memory, turn signal and driver's
side self-dimming function with chrome
skull caps
• Rain sensing windshield wiper system
• Satin finish grille surround with chrome
mesh insert
• Satin finish tailgate appliqué
Interior
• 2nd row heated seats��
• Aluminum appliqué on center panel and
console
• Ambient Lighting��
• Front Seats, 10-way power, heated and
cooled, leather captain's chairs with
memory driver seat, flow-through
console and floor shifter
• Leather center console lid and shifter
knob
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel with
memory power tilt
• Power sliding rear window with privacy
tint and defrost��
• Rear View Camera
• Reverse Sensing System
• Sony 6-Disc in-dash CD changer��
• Unique woodgrain interior trim accents
• Universal garage door opener

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
Thats my thought. I love the Fords (non diesel), but $58k for a gas truck is absolutely crazy. I just priced out a new 2010 Duramax 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 FULLY LOADED and it came out to $52k. Sounds like a much better investment to me!

I'm sure you hear that about the price of boats as well. ;)

It is a lot of money, but it is a lot of truck. The technology, safety, and capability of today's trucks are incredible. We do sell quite a few of the Platinum models, just gotta show the value!

Keep in mind the $56k range is before any discounts and rebates. I'll be putting an F150 as a "Deal of the Week" in the future, but if anyone wants a quote before that, feel free to contact me.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

No offense but your idea of "fully loaded" driving those farm trucks.. and my idea of "fully loaded" driving a Navigator are two very different things.. LOL

The super duties can pull no doubt.. But the little F150 platinum is good to like 10K (fine by me) and is like a Navi inside... The big turbo diesels (Both chevy & Ford) haven't quite mastered the creature comfort department yet. (Which why would they? Their work trucks, not street trucks)

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
No offense but your idea of "fully loaded" driving those farm trucks.. and my idea of "fully loaded" driving a Navigator are two very different things.. LOL

The super duties can pull no doubt.. But the little F150 platinum is good to like 10K (fine by me) and is like a Navi inside... The big turbo diesels (Both chevy & Ford) haven't quite mastered the creature comfort department yet. (Which why would they? Their work trucks, not street trucks)

RD

Please don't hook anything 10K pounds to a 300hp F150 ;):skull

I think the new ford interiors are great (best in marketplace). There motor packages in the gas trucks still leave alot to be desired(worst in marketplace).

My dads loaded 06 F350 4x4 Lariat is pretty nice inside and stickered at 54K(leather,sunroof,etc...)

When/If they come out with a 400hp 5.4L for the F150 I think it will be a tough truck to beat. That price point for a loaded truck is hard to swallow but I imagine Hernando will shave quite a bit off MSRP:cool:.

Out of curiosity what does a eco boost Flex go for?? (I like the flex's alot but would be worried what this motor package adds to the sticker)

Yellowboat

Reaction score
if you plan on towing more then 5k lbs you need a 3/4 ton, not a 1/2 ton. just my $,02. I don't care what the tow rating is.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
if you plan on towing more then 5k lbs you need a 3/4 ton, not a 1/2 ton. just my $,02. I don't care what the tow rating is.

I wouldn't go that far......

I wouldn't call 5K alot of weight behind a modern day 1/2 ton.

Brakes,trannys and power is quite a bit better today then 10 years ago. Some of those old 454/460 powered 3/4 tons are less truck than most new 1/2 tons.

I would say anything over 8K pounds is pushing the limits though.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
you know its funny, all the trucks I've owned from the 80s I can't kill. even the trannys are fine for 200k+ of heavy use. the trucks from the 90-0Xs( mid 90s for ford) don't seem to make it past 150k with out major work done to them.

Lack of power has never really been a prob, its always been trannys, and cooling systems thats go bad.

I'm not saying I would not tow over 5k lbs ever, but if you plan on doing it often, you are going to destroy a half ton.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
you know its funny, all the trucks I've owned from the 80s I can't kill. even the trannys are fine for 200k+ of heavy use. the trucks from the 90-0Xs( mid 90s for ford) don't seem to make it past 150k with out major work done to them.

Lack of power has never really been a prob, its always been trannys, and cooling systems thats go bad.

I'm not saying I would not tow over 5k lbs ever, but if you plan on doing it often, you are going to destroy a half ton.

I agree...Some of those old trucks didn't have enough power to hurt themselves...lol

My new 09 chevy has a 6L80 tranny (6 speed based on 4L80/700R4) that is alot stronger than the previous generation 4l60. My 07 chevy pulled my 8500 lb toy hauler ok but I would be lying if I said that it wouldnt be shot prior to 50-60K miles.

Good news is they have a 5 year 100K mile warranty. I'm gonna leave that SOB alone and try and break it at 95K:skull

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
Please don't hook anything 10K pounds to a 300hp F150 ;):skull

I think the new ford interiors are great (best in marketplace). There motor packages in the gas trucks still leave alot to be desired(worst in marketplace).

My dads loaded 06 F350 4x4 Lariat is pretty nice inside and stickered at 54K(leather,sunroof,etc...)

When/If they come out with a 400hp 5.4L for the F150 I think it will be a tough truck to beat. That price point for a loaded truck is hard to swallow but I imagine Hernando will shave quite a bit off MSRP:cool:.

Out of curiosity what does a eco boost Flex go for?? (I like the flex's alot but would be worried what this motor package adds to the sticker)

The Eco-Boost engine option requires an All-Wheel Drive configuration due to the high torque output. So, if you were to compare apples to apples, an SEL All-Wheel Drive Flex with the standard engine (3.5L V6 265 hp and 248 lb-ft torque) has a base MSRP of $33,600. The Eco-Boost Upgrade brings it up to $36,195. For $2,595 you get 355 hp, 350 lb-ft torque, the SAME fuel economy as the standard engine, and a car that flat out hauls ass.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The Eco-Boost engine option requires an All-Wheel Drive configuration due to the high torque output. So, if you were to compare apples to apples, an SEL All-Wheel Drive Flex with the standard engine (3.5L V6 265 hp and 248 lb-ft torque) has a base MSRP of $33,600. The Eco-Boost Upgrade brings it up to $36,195. For $2,595 you get 355 hp, 350 lb-ft torque, the SAME fuel economy as the standard engine, and a car that flat out hauls ass.

Not bad considering what you get for the $$.....

I'm not in the market right now but how far can you typicallly come off sticker once the newness wears off. I'm actually pretty surprised at the cost considering you have to have a Taurus sho to get that motor and there 40K+ right?

I imagine there pretty fun to drive...what does a AWD Flex weigh?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I think you'd be surprised with the 6 speeds now.. 5K isn't bad at all with a Navigator.

RD

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
Not bad considering what you get for the $$.....

I'm not in the market right now but how far can you typically come off sticker once the newness wears off. I'm actually pretty surprised at the cost considering you have to have a Taurus sho to get that motor and there 40K+ right?

I imagine there pretty fun to drive...what does a AWD Flex weigh?

The Taurus SHO comes fully loaded with Navigation,22" wheels, rear camera, etc. A fair comparison would be to a Flex Limited with the Eco-Boost. It has a base MSRP of $ 42,065. That comes loaded.

On a Flex, depending on the options (more options=more profit= bigger discounts) figure around $3,000-$3,500 discount from me. In addition you can get $2,500 in rebates or 0% for 5 years right now. When you're ready, let me know and I'll give you exact figures on exactly what you want.

Weights vary depending on options, but an AWD SEL Flex I have here weighs 4694 lbs.

Hernando

Blue Oval Slinger
Reaction score
I think you'd be surprised with the 6 speeds now.. 5K isn't bad at all with a Navigator.

RD

I had an 04 F150 (R.I.P.) with the 5.4L ( 300hp and 350 lb-ft) and the 4 speed auto. It pulled my boat (close to 7k lbs) with no problems. I'd have to put my foot into it climbing the Cajon pass or Chiraco Summit to keep my speed, but it handled it. I just picked up a new F150 with the 5.4L (320 hp and 390 lb-ft) and a 6-speed trans. I'm looking forward to seeing how she tows.

D

Deleted Account

LOL, my wifes new ordered Flex shows up in a couple weeks. We will tow with the Dodge.;) I'm just waiting to ride in the back and eat ice cream out of the center console with the twins....:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
LOL, my wifes new ordered Flex shows up in a couple weeks. We will tow with the Dodge.;) I'm just waiting to ride in the back and eat ice cream out of the center console with the twins....:D

The one thing I was impressed with.. That thing has more room in the center row then most Luxury vehicles. I can't believe how much room there was in that car.

The cooler is a nice touch too.. :D

RD

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The one thing I was impressed with.. That thing has more room in the center row then most Luxury vehicles. I can't believe how much room there was in that car.

RD

The Flex is a deceptively large car. When you look at it on it's own, it's proportional and doesn't look very big...almost like an extra-large Mini Clubman. But when you park it next to other vehicles, it's pretty big.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

RD

Get her the eco boost flex....

You have the navi and tundra to tow with. Why on earth would you get 2 of the exact same SUV's? lol:D:bash:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Get her the eco boost flex....

You have the navi and tundra to tow with. Why on earth would you get 2 of the exact same SUV's? lol:D:bash:

I liked mine. She liked it too so she got one of her own?

RD

Wakker

Sober
Reaction score
I'd be pretty nervous about spending 60 grand on a new SuperDuty with a first year, first gen motor in it. Remember all the issues when the 6.0 diesels first came out? I foresee the 6.7 being "ironed out" for 2013...

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I liked mine. She liked it too so she got one of her own?

RD

I hear ya.....

I could never personally own the same kind of cars. Just seems silly to make 2 paymenst on cars that do the same thing.

I will always have a truck/suv and some kind of sporty ride thats fun to drive.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I hear ya.....

I could never personally own the same kind of cars. Just seems silly to make 2 paymenst on cars that do the same thing.

I got past the sporty shit in my youth.. Now I'm all about big, smooth & comfortable.

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I got past the sporty shit in my youth.. Now I'm all about big, smooth & comfortable.

RD

lol....Sounds like you just described yourself:D:skull

If it dosent weigh 3000lbs and have 500+ hp I kind of have a problem getting excited about vehicles these days...;)

BajaMike

Reaction score
She drove the "Flex" and loved it.. but it's a bit small. The dealership didn't have any new Expeditions. She also drove an F150 Platinum & a F250 fully loaded..

For right now the F150 Platinum is in the lead, but 56 Grand? Holy smokes that's a lot of money for an 18 thousand dollar truck.. LOL

We're getting them narrowed down Dan, and will be in touch soon.

RD

America is making some great cars and trucks (we always made the best trucks).

I've been working in Austin, TX for the last 6 months....I had a 2010 Chevy Malibu for a month, very nice car.

2008_chevrolet_malibu1.jpg

Now I have a nice, black Dodge Charger, not a Hemi....but a nice car.

2008_Dodge_Charger_SRT8.jpg

I would love to own either one.....for now I pay Enterprise Rental car $750 a month to rent them...can't beat that.

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
I hear ya.....

lol....Sounds like you just described yourself:D:skull

If it dosent weigh 3000lbs and have 500+ hp I kind of have a problem getting excited about vehicles these days...;)

How does the mini van fit into this picture? :skull

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
How does the mini van fit into this picture? :skull

It dosent.....lol

Still has 300hp and will whoop 80% of the cars on the street. Doid I mention it hauls the kid and gets 30+ mpg;):D

As soon as I'm trade in even value wise its going away. Problem is there isn't much I really like right now.

Ford needs to bring the Falcon here. 4 door rwd and 400hp could make me swing to the blue oval.