WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stage Door Canteen / Do Ya Still do Cool Stuff with Your Parents?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
When RD's dad passed it really set me back.
My first thoughts were RD would give everything he had for just 20 more minutes with his pop.

It certainly changed my relationship with my dad. It opened my eyes.
I want to keep getting the precious 20 minutes while I can.

Do ya still do cool stuff with your folks?

My mom passed away long ago but,
I'm lucky enough that my dad is still living.
One of a dwindling core of WW 2 veterans left.

He flew bombers during WW2 and never talked about it.
All we knew was their was this bad, horrific incident he and his crew encountered, and that was that.
But that's another thread. Perhaps for Military.com.

Music was always a part of our home & neighborhood growing up until my folks marriage exploded.

One of the greatest jazz drummers, Jack Sperling was a next door neighbor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Sperling

Dad made sure the homes sound system was state-of-the-art, that's an old school term (like High Fidelity), meaning the best technology available.
When we went from Tube sound systems to solid state, I never thought that was a step forward in quality sound. But that's another thread too.

We even had Blaupunkts way before BMW sold cars here. They were wild looking with all kinds of scales on the dials.

The FM stations back then were usually some stoner who had a surplus military FM transmitter in his living room and he spun his vinyl Jazz collection.

Our houses rocked or jived would be more like it on that section of the block.

So:
I booked a flight and rooms and tickets to take my dad to the grand opening of the Stage Door Canteen at the National WW2 museum in New Orleans Nov 6th. (built on the Old Higgins boat factory site I'm told BTW)
The National WWII Museum's Stage Door Canteen

Jack Sperling, our neighbor, played there, and the Hollywood Canteen during the war, and my dad saw him; [video=youtube;iOuLMJA5hEY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOuLMJA5hEY[/video]

I asked my dad recently "Did you guys bomb the enemy to the beat of Glenn Miller like we listened to the Doors in Viet Nam?" No answer of course.
But dad did accept the trip to see the opening and the big expansion at the National WW 2 museum, and the Stage Door Canteen within.

I'm looking forward to it.

Do ya still do cool stuff with your Parents?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't do enough cool stuff with my mom. :(. I have been thinking about it a lot though lately and I have some tricks up my sleeve. I am planning on taking her and some of her friends to the river through oct.

RD

Riodog

Reaction score
Well TPC, I'll tell you and hope everyone understands.
My Folks were such a major part of my life that I feel blessed with the honor of being able to hold them in my arms when they joined Our Heavenly Father. My Dad, who was also a vet of WWII passed away here at home on January 17, 2001 as I held him. He was 89 and had lived with me since 1988. My Mom passed away here at home on June 12, 2009. She was 93 at had also lived with me since 1988. I was holding her also.

I guess you could say that we did every thing togather and I wouldn't change it if I had it to do over again. Make the most of your Parents while they are still here.
Now if you'll excuse me the screen is getting blurry.
Rio

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
EVERY chance I get :D..............it's ONLY 1300 miles from Parker to Coeur d' Alene Idaho :thumbsup

Attachments

• DSC00507.jpg
    DSC00507.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 417
  • Untitled-26.jpg
    Untitled-26.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 379
  • September 2008 069.jpg
    September 2008 069.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 389
  • sept 2008 015.jpg
    sept 2008 015.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 393
  • Pop ski racer.jpg
    Pop ski racer.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 396
  • DSCF1696.jpg
    DSCF1696.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC01902.jpg
    DSC01902.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC01644.jpg
    DSC01644.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 410

djhartley2003

Reaction score
I do a lot of cool things with my folks. I think the coolest thing is watching them with my boys. TJ just turned 4 and Connor will be 1 at the end of the month. The sad part is I don't think there is going to much more time with my mom. She has kidney cancer and it has spread. The doctors have had her on an experimental drug that was working but she was admitted to the hospital last night because she was having a hard time breathing. They drained 1 liter of fluid from her lungs that turned out to be blood and there not sure where it is coming from. My dad told me tonight that the doctor said it doesn't look good. I think the hardest part will be explaining it to my 4 year old. All he ever wants to do is go to his grandparent and have a sleep over.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't do enough cool stuff with my mom. :(. I have been thinking about it a lot though lately and I have some tricks up my sleeve. I am planning on taking her and some of her friends to the river through oct.

RD
It's as simple as visiting them often enough not to feel forgotten or lonely.......

CALJAMR

Sin City Jamr
Reaction score
It's as simple as visiting them often enough not to feel forgotten or lonely.......

Very well said. I still have both of my parents. I brought over burgers to BBQ up on Monday. We were stufted and my dad always says i'm never eating again. He's said that's for the past 42 years as far as i know. After eating we were watching some racing in the living room and i look over and i see both of them sleeping on their rocking chairs. Both had their mouths open and were in a food coma. I took that moment to just look at them and reflect upon how lucky i am to have them still around :D

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
fortunately for me, i work with my pops. we usually have the same days off and my mom is a substitute teacher, so we have a lot of time together. we try to have a BBQ maybe once a week ... once every two weeks. they only live about 7 miles away, so having them close is important to me.

we were over there on sunday to BBQ and just watching them with my brothers newborn brought a smile to my face. they were so happy. they will end up helping us watch the kid as well ... free daycare:thumbsup

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
When RD's dad passed it really set me back.
My first thoughts were RD would give everything he had for just 20 more minutes with his pop.

It certainly changed my relationship with my dad. It opened my eyes.
I want to keep getting the precious 20 minutes while I can.

Do ya still do cool stuff with your folks?

My mom passed away long ago but,
I'm lucky enough that my dad is still living.
One of a dwindling core of WW 2 veterans left.

He flew bombers during WW2 and never talked about it.
All we knew was their was this bad, horrific incident he and his crew encountered, and that was that.
But that's another thread. Perhaps for Military.com.

Music was always a part of our home & neighborhood growing up until my folks marriage exploded.

One of the greatest jazz drummers, Jack Sperling was a next door neighbor.
Jack Sperling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dad made sure the homes sound system was state-of-the-art, that's an old school term (like High Fidelity), meaning the best technology available.
When we went from Tube sound systems to solid state, I never thought that was a step forward in quality sound. But that's another thread too.

We even had Blaupunkts way before BMW sold cars here. They were wild looking with all kinds of scales on the dials.

The FM stations back then were usually some stoner who had a surplus military FM transmitter in his living room and he spun his vinyl Jazz collection.

Our houses rocked or jived would be more like it on that section of the block.

So:
I booked a flight and rooms and tickets to take my dad to the grand opening of the Stage Door Canteen at the National WW2 museum in New Orleans Nov 6th. (built on the Old Higgins boat factory site I'm told BTW)
The National WWII Museum's Stage Door Canteen

Jack Sperling, our neighbor, played there, and the Hollywood Canteen during the war, and my dad saw him; YouTube - Hollywood Canteen, WW2

I asked my dad recently "Did you guys bomb the enemy to the beat of Glenn Miller like we listened to the Doors in Viet Nam?" No answer of course.
But dad did accept the trip to see the opening and the big expansion at the National WW 2 museum, and the Stage Door Canteen within.

I'm looking forward to it.

Do ya still do cool stuff with your Parents?

I have Glenn Miller's cookie jar in my kitchen. Once I got it, I was afraid to use it.

Joker

Reaction score
Just the opposite here. My mom died when she was 59 or 6 years ago. We did stuff with my Mom & Dad quite a bit prior to that. At that point, my daughter was 8, and they loved being around her as well.
Since then, my dad only calls when he needs something, once every two to three months and will not have anything to do with our daughter except for birthdays and holidays. Ask him to do grandparents day at her school and the answer is no.
Our daughter is almost 15 now and wants nothing to do with him and to be honest, I really don't either.
I just don't get it and probably never will.

Cigalert

Banned
Reaction score
I envy anyone who can have an adult conversation with their parents and even more so I envy the people that get to do what they love doing with a life long friend and mentor.

Joker

Reaction score
I envy anyone who can have an adult conversation with their parents and even more so I envy the people that get to do what they love doing with a life long friend and mentor.

X2, wish I could, but it won't ever happen with the one that's left. If my Mom were still here, it would be a completely different story.

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Mom still loves the river and her pontoon, budweiser too :champagne:

Attachments

• 5612_136259610849_780025849_3266862_2450986_n.jpg
    5612_136259610849_780025849_3266862_2450986_n.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 227

Motor Boater

Reaction score
My Grandpa is 90, my dad is 60, I'm 30 and my son is 2 weeks old. We have 4 Generations alive right now. My dad played golf with his dad on Sunday 2 weeks and I played golf with my dad last sunday. We all still hang out and are luckly enough to be in good health to sill do things with each other. My Grandpa at 90 will sneak up on you on the golf course if you dont watch out. I try to see my mom and dad every chance I get. We do a lot of cooking, drinking and listening to music when we are together. Good times.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I see my Dad everyday and my Mom a few times a week. They are the coolest people I know and we all seem to get it, our time together is precious.

JBTJIM

Reaction score
I see my folks all the time. I work with them both at our family business. They're both semi-retired but mom comes into the shop two days a week for about 5 or 6 hours and pops comes in usually fours days a week for about 5 or 6 hours a day. We still go to the river together (not as much as we used to) and we go over their house to visit often so they can see their two grandsons. My pops is a hot rod nut and participates in a lot of car shows. I try and go with him to some car shows when I have the time.

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
I see and cook dinner for my Mom twice a week. Lot's of over cool stuff though the year. But even at 72, her favorite is still trips to the river. Try to take her every Oct-Nov and again for her B-Day each March. As any trip could be her last, we really try to have a good time, every time.

HBCraig

Reaction score
My Mom died a few months ago and she is missed by all of us everyday. My Dad still watches my youngest a couple of days a week and we have regular bbq's. We go to the river with Dad all the time and riding in the winter. He is very active but I think he makes himself active to get Mom off of his mind. He is the kind of guy that wont ever show his feelings and is very strong. I have only seen him cry twice; when his Mom died and when my Mom died. He will be missed as much as my Mom is. My kids love him to death and hang out with him all the time.

My best memories are with my parents. Hands down.

XtrmWakeborder

Bean Counter
Reaction score
Man, i'm glad to see you back TPC!:thumbsup

I do cool stuff with my pops all the time. He's can be a big dumb jerk sometimes, but he's probably my best friend. It's easy when we like all of the same stuff. We go to car shows all the time, and this weekend we hit a UCLA game, and went to the river. Just the two of us met some friends over there and had a great time. It bums me out to see him age, because I can't imagine losing him. I try to spend as much time with him as possible, even if it's a few minutes after work.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
My dad died in 1979 but thank goodness we had been close for several years prior to that. Long story but dad had 3 girls, was a marine and totally in charge. with my sisters 5-6 years older, parents divorced, it was just us for a few years and we got to talk and actually become friends. That was nice. Now mom was ton of fun all our lives. She loved the house in Bullhead and always wanted to go. If we didn't go there it was the beach. She passed in 2003. Miss her everyday.

milkmoney

Reaction score
my parents live 1000 miles away.. call home every sunday or every other sunday..they have some health issues, that i wont go into(long story)..try to see them 2 times a year . but havent seen them since their 50 wedding anniversary which was a year and half ago.. had a wonderful childhood and had alot of fun times for sure with my folks. they were there when i first learned to waterski in 1976. went with my team to england as shaparones(sp?)..etc , etc, etc..always there for me in the good and bad times.. would like to move them closer, but it would be alittle hard on them for such a big move..i always say that the hardest thing i have encountered in life is watching my parents grow old..

for those of who have lost yours, my deepest thoughts to you and cant even imagine what that could be like.

for those of you that still have them around. like everybody says enjoy what you can...

Last edited:

l84theriv

Reaction score
In the summer i hang actually i mean party with my parents. We bought a place in Havasu together when i was eighteen. Damn now to think bout it that was almost 14 years ago.lol. And in the winter its rhino rides together almost every weekend. I love them very much.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I live 2 miles from my parents and from where I grew up. My kids will go to the same schools I went.

They watch my kids several times a week and love spending time with the grandkids.

Its great cuz they get lots of time with the grandkids and take them fun places.

ITs also great when we need a babysitter. :thumbsup

Pushnwood

Reaction score
EVERY chance I get :D..............it's ONLY 1300 miles from Parker to Coeur d' Alene Idaho :thumbsup

Skyskier, I think my parents know your dad. They were just out there 2-3 weeks ago and sent me some pic's and I recognized the Hallet. This is a pic of your dad & boat, I think. My dad took the picture.

Attachments

• Canada and Idaho 2009 109.jpg
    Canada and Idaho 2009 109.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 78

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Skyskier, I think my parents know your dad. They were just out there 2-3 weeks ago and sent me some pic's and I recognized the Hallet. This is a pic of your dad & boat, I think. My dad took the picture.

:D yes, that IS my Pop, and your Dad was riding in my sister's Howard :thumbsup My cousin Sharron & her husband are traveling with 4 other couples, caravaning in motorhomes. They camped on the Spokane river for a couple of days,....I flew in the night before they left so I didn't get a chance to meet your Mom & Dad. I'm SURE they had a great day on the water :D

Pushnwood

Reaction score
:D yes, that IS my Pop, and your Dad was riding in my sister's Howard :thumbsup My cousin Sharron & her husband are traveling with 4 other couples, caravaning in motorhomes. They camped on the Spokane river for a couple of days,....I flew in the night before they left so I didn't get a chance to meet your Mom & Dad. I'm SURE they had a great day on the water :D

I talked to my Dad Fri. night & they had a perfect day on the water & loves your Dads place. I think they are in Washinton now & will be home the end of the month. It realy is a small world!

Another pic my Dad sent, your Dads place is very nice.

Attachments

• Canada and Idaho 2009 114.jpg
    Canada and Idaho 2009 114.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 63

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I lost my Mom & Dad 10 & 12 years ago. Still talk to them every day.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
yessir ! that IS my Dad,...............apparently I missed a LOT of stuff from here on the boards, I KNOW this is the 1st time I've seen this post from 2009 !.........

nowski

Reaction score
My mom traveled the world ( even backpacked Europe) and led a pretty good life considering she spent the first 5 years of her life in an orphanage.

Before my Mom died I decided to take her to Yosemite, one place she'd never been. Our journey started by camping at the Keogh Hot Springs in Bishop where we watched the Perseid's Meteor Shower. We then went onto Mammoth, hiked to Rainbow falls and Devils Post-pile then rode the tram to the top , showed her some of my favorite runs and Half Dome in the background. Had dinner at one of my favorites Whiskey Creek and spent the night at the place where they leave the light on for you.

The next day we drove the June Lake loop and then proceeded to Yosemite thru the Tioga Pass. We pitched our tent in one of the campgrounds (two night stay) in the valley and proceeded to take in some of the sites including one of the best views in the house Glacier Point. Before leaving the park we drove over to Mariposa Grove.

Our journey continues over to one of my old stomping grounds, Bass Lake. We rented an Addictor mini boat at the Pines Marina and explored the lake. I then drove over to Wishon Point campground and walked the beach in search of a ski tow. I found a guy that would pull me, grabbed my ski and vest and told mom lets go were going skiing. My mom couldn't believe it, how are we going skiing without a boat? I said I offered a guy gas money and that's all she wrote. Mom got to see me ski for the first time and preferred it to the air that we caught in the Addictor. We then drove over to Angel Falls where we spent the night under the stars. Woke up the next morning and went for a nice hike to see the natural water slides and even showed her how it's done, obviously she just watched. Headed over to The Pines for breakfast and got back on the road to head home from a priceless journey to be remembered. We had other journeys over the years like albacore fishing in Mexico but none will compare to that Yosemite Adventure...

My mom passed away at the young age of 90 in 2008. In life, it's not how you start the race but how you finish the race... RIP Mom RIP...