WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stand By Generator Cost

Taboma

Reaction score
Auto start is set, but power went off when temp was -2. The weekly run is set for midday. They tried a reset and manual start, but no luck. The unit just fails to start and throws a excessive crank code. It will have to wait since we live 8hrs away.

Wrong assumption on my part. Those are certainly "Shit Happens" at the worst times adverse conditions. Of course, when you need it most too. 🥵

squeezer

Reaction score
Shame on you, forcing your wife out in such treacherous conditions, and now being forced to endure the ridicule of her peers for driving an anti-environmental poster child to boot !!!!!!!! 😖 Come on Man, show a little "Bleeding Heart" for shit's sake 😂

Forcing... ? Nobody forces my wife to do anything!

”My wife drove off with my truck and my daughter... I sure do miss her!”

B0A3EE8B-733A-489D-A2A8-E73E37E0627C.jpeg

pkbullet

Reaction score
Bet the coolant or block heater went out. Is the unit set up to give a low temp alarm while in standby?
I have no idea, new problem to figure out. I can't send a tech, my front gate is power and the drive way is solid ice supposedly. I'm sure they are backed up anyway.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If you truly want to be backed up I would reconsider the natural gas. We install a lot of back-up generators for commercial applications. In my 23 years we have only done one very small natural gas.

After the Northridge quake our power was out over a week and it goes out occasionally for other reasons, gas stations too. Natural gas kept flowing every time. I keep 100 gallons of gasoline on hand.
A tri fuel inverter generator would be ideal.
A propane tank with a months supply in it would be my first choice but that's not happening in this zero property line neck of the country.
We have that at my dads place in No Cali. works great.

Taboma

Reaction score
Forcing... ? Nobody forces my wife to do anything!

”My wife drove off with my truck and my daughter... I sure do miss her!”

View attachment 973278

After your wife and daughter safely return, let me know how that Raptor handles those conditions, not asking for a friend, asking for myself, yours being almost identical to my own. 😁 I've had it off road plenty up at our ranch, but never in the snow yet.

McKay

Reaction score
For permanent installs we always recommend a remote annunciator panel somewhere you walk by often. Will indicate if there are any issues with your gen. Non-start (for weekly exercise) low fuel, low coolant, low coolant temp (when not running) etc. Just about anything that could be or go wrong and it will throw a blinking light and or an alarm if you want.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Just listen to all the news today in Texas. Rolling blackout's because they have have moved a lot of their grid to "Green Energy" now those wind turbines are frozen and not spinning and the natural gas supply can't keep up.

Yes, natural gas is very convienent until it's not available. I personally would only install diesel, (And I have at my house). But that's probably just because that is what I am use to and have great contacts and customer support.

But, they are a lot more expensive than the prices being quoted in this thread. But they are a much more robust system. Some cheap systems I have seen are just air cooled V-twin 500cc or less engines.

Ive not seen a gas cutoff yet, in years of fire and earthquakes, so sure it can happen, but the chances are very low.

Id say the chances of having a liquid fuel related problem are higher from what I've seen.

Diesels are awesome no doubt, but out of lane cost wise for most people.

copterzach

Reaction score
In the process of having one install 22 KW gen 500 gal propane tank. Estimate was just under 10,000

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

We have an Kohler 28 or 30 kw. Can’t remember. It ran last night from 2am till about 9:30am. We have a 500 gallon propane tank. I haven’t checked the level, but it was full last week. I have a separate 500 gallon tank for the house. Heaters, stove top and tankless water heaters. I had a buddy install it. I think all in tank, plumbing (I did), small cement pad (I did), switch and generator was around $13,000.

We also loose power a few times during the summer. And god forbid a hurricane comes, we should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdog

Reaction score
I had a call with my racing bud in Frisco just now. Power is in rolling black outs with 1-2 hours of power in rotation. Back in 2017 when he bought his 44 ft race trailer I advised him to buy two HF Predator 3500's instead of an expensive and loud Onan and they're paying off now. We rigged up a 50 amp parallel kit for the trailer and run them non stop.

He's the only yuppie on the block with a cord of wood and a generator running his internet. LOL! My Ninja!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
We have an Kohler 28 or 30 kw. Can’t remember. It ran last night from 2am till about 9:30am. We have a 500 gallon propane tank. I haven’t checked the level, but it was full last week. I have a separate 500 gallon tank for the house. Heaters, stove top and tankless water heaters. I had a buddy install it. I think all in tank, plumbing (I did), small cement pad (I did), switch and generator was around $13,000.

We also loose power a few times during the summer. And god forbid a hurricane comes, we should be ok.

Nice system. How much was the fuel tank/ lawn sausage?

a 500 gallon tank filled 80% full is 400 gallons.

20KW is about 3 gallons an hour - thats about 133 hours or 5.5 full days of running.

squeezer

Reaction score
After your wife and daughter safely return, let me know how that Raptor handles those conditions, not asking for a friend, asking for myself, yours being almost identical to my own. 😁 I've had it off road plenty up at our ranch, but never in the snow yet.

handles the snow just fine. You do need to be in 4A however... The ass is pretty light for that size tire in snow.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
As I sit here in Texas with 11 degree temp knowing I should have a decent bonus coming, anyone have insight on how much all in a 22kw standby generator would be ? I'm tired of this crap. I think a 22kw would be big enough for my house, gas heat, gas range, electric oven, one 5 ton AC.

Any thoughts would be appriciated.

Depending on where you are in texas...I'm a generac dealer. We install them on some of our "rural" or AG jobs where I do Ground mount solar systems... Generator as the backup. That size roughly is what we normally sell. Issue becomes what your total house load is. We usually set them up to shed the AC if needed. We just did one that was something like 12kw solar, 10kw battery, and a 20kw ish generator. Guy is running on his generator right now...or he wouldn't have power (he's down by houston on a 100ac "ranch.") If you are in the Austin/SA/Houston corridor shoot me a PM if you get serious...I'll cut you a deal on it.

I have a feeling we will get a ton of calls about backup power after this shit show...

copterzach

Reaction score
Nice system. How much was the fuel tank/ lawn sausage?

a 500 gallon tank filled 80% full is 400 gallons.

20KW is about 3 gallons an hour - thats about 133 hours or 5.5 full days of running.

Propane was $2.90 a gallon. I hope it doesn’t have to run 5 days straight

RichL

Reaction score

Was going to ask you that question. My daughter uses it and the last order back in late November was at $2.93/gal with the price lock.

RichL

Reaction score
Regardless of the vehicle the right set of tires makes all the difference in the world in the snow. I have a long history with the BFG TA All-Terrains and moved away the last rime around due to lower mileage wear. Went to Michelin's all terrain tire. Good tire on the dry, but slippery in the wet and pretty close to worthless in any significant snow. Went back to the BFG's in the end of December after I nearly slid off a slippery snow covered road with my granddaughter in the truck. Traction is so much better again. Take it for what it's worth.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That's the problem they shut my power off in the middle of the valley with underground utilities but a mile away overhead is on right next to brush, actually only 2/3 of the east end is off, the entire east end of the valley is fed from the same distribution yard so that means the main feed/transmission lines coming in over the brush is still on. Hell my parents are on the east side as well with overhead and they are on while I am off.

You are experiencing the pinnacle of power delivery technology in the 21st century. Why are you complaining?

petie6464

Reaction score

🤔 That's some pricey back up power! I went with old diesel technology and a huge tank with waste oil and gasoline mix, runs like a charm.

I sold a 20kw unit to a guy in SD, put it a 20' conex box with a 500 fuel tank, says he can get about 20 days running 24/7

Probably not the answer in a suburban setting but you do what ya need to do.

Taboma

Reaction score
Regardless of the vehicle the right set of tires makes all the difference in the world in the snow. I have a long history with the BFG TA All-Terrains and moved away the last rime around due to lower mileage wear. Went to Michelin's all terrain tire. Good tire on the dry, but slippery in the wet and pretty close to worthless in any significant snow. Went back to the BFG's in the end of December after I nearly slid off a slippery snow covered road with my granddaughter in the truck. Traction is so much better again. Take it for what it's worth.

One key consideration with the Raptor and swapping tire brands is the load rating and required tire pressure. Those BFG TA KO's on the Raptor are designed for it and a smoother ride at Load Range "C" and 38 lbs, to support the Raptor weight ratings. Once you start changing and end up with a "D or E" rating, tire pressure usually rises significantly to achieve the same rated weight capacity, especially with desert heat as a consideration.

These BFGs work awesome up at my ranch in the dirt, and can be aired down quite a ways (According to my neighbor in Raptor R&D) should I need to. They've also worked excellent in the rain, but I've never had them in snow.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
One key consideration with the Raptor and swapping tire brands is the load rating and required tire pressure. Those BFG TA KO's on the Raptor are designed for it and a smoother ride at Load Range "C" and 38 lbs, to support the Raptor weight ratings. Once you start changing and end up with a "D or E" rating, tire pressure usually rises significantly to achieve the same rated weight capacity, especially with desert heat as a consideration.

These BFGs work awesome up at my ranch in the dirt, and can be aired down quite a ways (According to my neighbor in Raptor R&D) should I need to. They've also worked excellent in the rain, but I've never had them in snow.

Thats what they said about the Firestone tires on the Explorers 🤣

farmo83

Reaction score
Depending on where you are in texas...I'm a generac dealer. We install them on some of our "rural" or AG jobs where I do Ground mount solar systems... Generator as the backup. That size roughly is what we normally sell. Issue becomes what your total house load is. We usually set them up to shed the AC if needed. We just did one that was something like 12kw solar, 10kw battery, and a 20kw ish generator. Guy is running on his generator right now...or he wouldn't have power (he's down by houston on a 100ac "ranch.") If you are in the Austin/SA/Houston corridor shoot me a PM if you get serious...I'll cut you a deal on it.

I have a feeling we will get a ton of calls about backup power after this shit show...
I live in spring. Suburb of houston.