WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stand Up Paddle boards ?

badgas

Reaction score
My daughter is bringing her SUP up to Havasu from San Diego. We want to have another at the house. Anyone here use one ? Any local shops that sell them ?
Any preference between inflatabe, glass foam etc ?

Thanks for the help

Reactions: DWC

2Driver

Reaction score
If you don’t mind storing and carrying, glass all the way, and I wouldn’t get anything under 10.5’ either way imo.

Ladsm

Reaction score
We have a blow up SUP we keep on the boat with a pump and if we find a good cove we pull it out. We bought ours on Amazon, the longer and wider the better and the higher the inflation pressure the more stiff and easier it is to standup.

HitIt

Reaction score
Since you will just be cruising on the lake occasionally an inflatable will be fine if you dont want to store it. Most inflatables have a ton of volume and are easy to stand up on since they are geared towards beginners. I know that Costco has them occasionally and with summer coming up you might have some luck finding one.

RodnJen

Reaction score
There are a couple of good threads on here, with really good info, if you do a search.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I dont have any model input as we bought ours at Costco and so did the remainder to the ocean boat family. I spent a long afternoon swedging cable to lock them all together, signed a $30 monthly rack spot in Dana.....Yeah they've been used twice in 2 years. They suck to transport. 12' ers and nearly 3' wide.

Get something inflatable so you can toss it in the rafters after the oh wow wears off.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
We purchased 2 of the inflatable ones from Costco a couple years ago, they work well and it adds another toy to play on while at the lake.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Here is what is good about the inflatable....... it generally won’t damage a boat hull. The fiberglass or hard shell, can easily mark a hull.

I point this out because I see many teenagers and others, playing on paddle boards in sandbar situations. They all can turn into projectiles when you fall off, but at least there is more protection from property damage on the inflatables.

I am editing in this alternative.

The bottom of this inflatable dinghy converts to a paddle board, with detachable fin. This could be an option if you are looking for a more versatile toy.

Last edited:

Skater368

Upon My Request This is all Folks Skater368/nganga
Reaction score
I've got a 12'6' Hobie glass board. Its really fast and cuts with a sharp bow. Most inflatables have a rounded bow that doesn't cut. I rode a buddies board, can't remember the brand but it was super-lite and narrow. It was black carbon fiber. These race boards are extremely fast and make a huge difference in the whole experience.

Don't underestimate the importance of a quality paddle as well.

JayBreww

Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boat 405

Reaction score
I've got two in the garage out there. I swore to my self the next time decide to move them will be to sell them. One is a 11' 6" the other is 10'6". They are a motherfucker to move, and store by yourself. I'd go the inflatable route 100%. I think I paid around $ 1000 for the 11'6" and $700 for the 10'6". The 11'6" is an ISLE. good board I like it alot. I just hate lugging it around to use it. I'll make a deal if anyone wants one.
Its the previous version to this one.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Rusty at Ultra boats had some beautiful glass ones. Not sure if they are still for sale. Looked too nice to use.
We have the 10.6' inflatables that have the kayak seat. Best bang for the buck to get on the water for a couple hundred bucks
Ducks like them too
20160422_1144591_zps0ilnjmtt by 185 EZ, on Flickr

DWC

Reaction score
We have 2 rigid and one inflatables. For the occasional ride I’d go Inflatable They’re fun and easier to tote around and store If you’re going to use it a lot go old school. Much easier to ride. We have an OLD 14’-ish board that anyone can ride with no issue Smaller means tougher..