WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Starboard Side Trim Tab Not Moving

SchiadaJohn

Reaction score
Just purchased a Hallett 210, it has the Insta-Trim Tab System and Dana LT 500 Tabs. Issue is the starboard side tab will not move.

After some troubleshooting determined issue is in Pump/Motor. Note: The tab was working when demo'd boat before purchase.

- Port side Tab moves up and down without issue
- HPM makes noise when pressing Starboard switch up and down
- Reservoir is filled to 3/4 full per manual
- Reversed Tab hydraulic lines, problem moved to port side when lines reversed

My thoughts are most likely piece of trash got in pump right after demo or during haul back home (1,200 miles).

My question is, anyone had this issue before?

I can replace the pump but if there is an easier simpler fix willing to give it a try before springing for a new HPM.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Check with Dana they do rebuild those parts. I just sent one of my cylinders to be rebuilt. Sent end of last week and got it back today.

SchiadaJohn

Reaction score
UPDATE: The culprit was the white wire in the factory supplied wiring harness from Instatrim. Voltage was dropping 4-6 volts from dash to pump, just enough to not fire relay/solenoid for starboard side tab. I pulled a new single wire from dash to pump and works like a champ. Factory supplied wires are 14-16 gauge, seems slightly undersized, may step those up a gauge in the spring before next year.

I did learn that Instatrim has a good warehouse of replacement parts available. I now have an extra wire relay/solenoid if anyone needs one, PM me.

Pic from last Saturday, the youngest was itching for some seat time. Weather turned to crap this past week and probably last 70+ day until next spring...:mad:

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 272