WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Starbucks - getting raked over the coals

rvir4us

Anyone got some jack d?
Reaction score
Bad manager yes but what were the cops supposed to do? They received a call for service and dealt with the situation in a responsible and lawful way. They were polite but firm and explained why they were there, what was going to happen if they did not follow their orders. All the men had to do was follow the orders of the Starbucks employees and when the police showed up follow their orders as well. Sick of this bullshit

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I love it when they eat their own:D:p

rivrbrat

Reaction score
When LE showed up had the manager ask them to have the 2 guys leave because they were black they would not have complied because of the obvious racial bias.
So why should Law enforcement allow themselves to be tools of subtle racial bias?

rivrbrat

Reaction score
Bad manager yes but what were the cops supposed to do? They received a call for service and dealt with the situation in a responsible and lawful way. They were polite but firm and explained why they were there, what was going to happen if they did not follow their orders. All the men had to do was follow the orders of the Starbucks employees and when the police showed up follow their orders as well. Sick of this bullshit

The cops should have told the manager as long as there is no disturbance of the peace we aren't doing anything. (Not going to be used to further your racial bias)

rvir4us

Anyone got some jack d?
Reaction score
The manager had the right to kick them out lawfully(hence the trespassing). Look up the penal code when it comes to trespassing. the Cops have no discretion anymore.

chvynhra

Reaction score
The cops should have told the manager as long as there is no disturbance of the peace we aren't doing anything. (Not going to be used to further your racial bias)

So the cops should ignore the trespassing law?

4Waters

Reaction score
well-well-here-we-go-again-10179440.png

rivrbrat

Reaction score
The manager had the right to kick them out lawfully(hence the trespassing). Look up the penal code when it comes to trespassing. the Cops have no discretion anymore.

Of course they have discretion. If le showed up and there were 20 whites and 20 blacks & no one was causing a disturbance and the manager said he wanted all of the blacks out because there are black would/should the cops do it?

rvir4us

Anyone got some jack d?
Reaction score
When the manager of a private business says leave and you don’t, your trespassing. PERIOD. You can make any up any scenario you want, the facts are/were and will always be...
Starbucks manager said leave, they refused, cops were called and they enforced the law. PERIOD

rivrbrat

Reaction score
When the manager of a private business says leave and you don’t, your trespassing. PERIOD. You can make any up any scenario you want, the facts are/were and will always be...
Starbucks manager said leave, they refused, cops were called and they enforced the law. PERIOD

Law enforcement selectively enforces the the law on daily basis whats your point?

rvir4us

Anyone got some jack d?
Reaction score
When the trespassers refused the lawful order to leave the establishment I guess they left themselves up to the “discretion” of the responding officers. The cops did the right thing plain and simple.

rivrbrat

Reaction score
Most of you need to read and familiarize yourself with the penal code.

I get it I get it........Someone can steel my boat by trick or fraud and not go to jail, but if catch him in It I can have him arrested for trespassing.
When the trespassers refused the lawful order to leave the establishment I guess they left themselves up to the “discretion” of the responding officers. The cops did the right thing plain and simple.

They up held the letter of the law. Right thing to do not by a long shot.........

spectras only

Reaction score
Anyone going to Starbucks for the sole purpose of using the bathroom to meet up with someone, not using Starbucks' service, has no right to complain. It's not a public washroom to use. Many places [ gas stations , eateries etc... ] washrooms are locked and key handed out to patrons only. Last I checked, Starbucks is privately owned. BTW, I don't like fivebucks coffee myself.:p

nameisbond

Reaction score
Most bathrooms here in restaurants like Starbucks are locked and for customer use only. Its Starbucks right to have you order there to hang out and wait for the other party. If I was Starbucks Id ask them to order or leave too. The police also met resistance in they had no proof of being customers nor had the desire to become one. Id arrest them too for not following simple instructions.

Doc

2022 32 Doug Wright
Reaction score
Using the restroom and waiting for friends is trespassing?

Well they didn't purchase anything so yes it could be considered trespassing depending on what their policy is.

Mind if I walk over to your place use your bathroom and take a shit and wait on the sofa after for a ride? :D

They manager probably jumped to conclusions, plenty of people walk into an establishment and use restroom before they purchase something. One way another those fellas just got a nice check coming their way lol..

nowski

Reaction score
Every time I buy a cup of coffee at Starbuck$ I feel as though I just got raked over the coals...

stoker22405

Reaction score
When LE showed up had the manager ask them to have the 2 guys leave because they were black they would not have complied because of the obvious racial bias.
So why should Law enforcement allow themselves to be tools of subtle racial bias?

You are funny....

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
If you own any store you can call all the shots.You paid to serve the paying costumer.The officers did enforce the law and stop the bitchen.

jpf091959

Reaction score
That is just BullShi#t as far a I can tell. I bet I wouldn't be arrested if I was just having a seat.

CobraDave

Reaction score
It’s interesting to read all of the opinions from different walks of life. This seems like such a minor crime which happens a 100 times a day. I wonder why people are getting sucked into this one. Looking at the article, the writer immediately jumps on the racist bandwagon. I love the term unconscious racism. Makes me laugh. I don’t fully know the circumstances other than racism was involved [emoji849]. I can’t imagine why a business would not want someone in THEIR establishment and folks would somehow think they are allowed or are entitled to be there. Millennial way of thought I guess. Get the fuck out! What’s the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Boo hoo. They were asked to leave... Starbucks. Slow news day?

At least they were asked to leave. Although I was not asked, it was more a grab by the back of the neck and pushed out of the Goat Hill Tavern. You don't see me complain. Their house, their rules. But to be fair, I have been asked [and complied] to leave from The Beach Ball, The Harp Inn and Mutt Lynch's.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Boo hoo. They were asked to leave... Starbucks. Slow news day?

At least they were asked to leave. Although I was not asked, it was more a grab by the back of the neck and pushed out of the Goat Hill Tavern. You don't see me complain. Their house, their rules. But to be fair, I have been asked [and complied] to leave from The Beach Ball, The Harp Inn and Mutt Lynch's.

Hahaha nice

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Looks like someone is going to be rich or free coffee , lattes for life ;)

Tank

Reaction score
I don’t really get how anyone can read that the police, or Starbucks for that matter did anything wrong. Stories very simple.

1) 2 guys walk into Starbucks and ask to use restroom. Starbucks policy is restrooms are for customers only. Mgr refuses to let them use the restroom per store policy.

2) guys sit down and don’t order anything. Taking up a table

3) employee ask them to leave if they aren’t going to order anything - customers only.

Now, they had that opportunity to go ahead and walk outside or buy a coffee. But they didn’t. They refused to leave.

4) mgr calls police to have them leave. Most states (California included) have trespass laws that deal with publicly accessible private property and business’ have the right to ask, tell and then have the police ask and tell you to leave and if you don’t, they have the right to have you arrested for trespassing.

5) cops show up. Mgr to cops, these guys aren’t buying anything, they’re taking up a table, I’ve asked them to leave but they won’t. Can you tell them to leave.

(Now, at this point I “presume” since it would take a victim of the trespass to actually place the trespassers under arrest via a private persons arrest that the officers asked the mgr., if they refuse will you sign for a trespass attest stating you want them arrested? Mgr most likely said yes. If he said no the officers have no leg to stand on. So let’s just say the mgr said yes since there is no article that talks about the mgr not wanting them arrested if they refused).

6) cops contact the two guys - “hey, if you’re not willing to buy a product and you’re not a customer the tables are for customers only and you need I leave”
guys, “we’re waiting for someone”.
Cop, “ok, but if you’re not a customer you can’t wait in here and take up a table.”
Guys, “well, we’re not leaving”
cops, “ok but if you refuse to leave you’ll be trespassing and you’ll be placed under arrest.”
Guys, “fine, do what you have I do”
cops, “ok so you won’t leave?”
Guys, “nope”.
Cops, “ok stand up.” Click click. Off to the pokey.

Arrested per business request. End of story.

I’ve read a couple articles that detailed what happen. Take the race of ANYONE completely out of the picture. Race does not matter in this instance and to say it does is just fuckin rhetoric ignorance. Like the cops were supposed to show up and say, “oh they’re black, this mgr must be racist”. To even think that is fuckin racist in itself! The irony is palpable. As a cop you have I walk into every situation with color blinders, social status blinders, political blinders, all blinders on, get the facts of the case and act accordingly without bias. This ain’t the fuckin FBI LOL.

Now, the law used to state (again in California) that the police had no descression but to accept a private persons arrest but that law changed about 10 years ago and now cops can in fact refuse a private persons arrest but just as it has to be articulated why you ARE accepting the arrest the same has to be articulated as to why you WOULDNT accept the arrest.

Regarding the D.A. Dropping the charges because of lack of evidence....let me explain that to anyone that’s confused. This means the original Starbucks mgr who requested the arrest was grabbed ahold of by Starbucks corporation immediately at which time Starbucks Corp contacted the Police Dept and D.A. And requested to drop charges - no victim / no crime. Charges dropped lack of evidence. Happens all the time!

The other thing that happens all the time? These types of calls, DAILY, EVERYWHERE!

This has nothing to do with race except the media and a few ambulance chasing lawyers stating such. It’s too bad theres those on the general public that can’t read through this bullshit and see it or what it is...bullshit. Don’t be a pawn of sensationalized media.

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I don’t really get how anyone can read that the police, or Starbucks for that matter did anything wrong. Stories very simple.

1) 2 guys walk into Starbucks and ask to use restroom. Starbucks policy is restrooms are for customers only. Mgr refuses to let them use the restroom per store policy.

2) guys sit down and don’t order anything. Taking up a table

3) employee ask them to leave if they aren’t going to order anything - customers only.

Now, they had that opportunity to go ahead and walk outside or buy a coffee. But they didn’t. They refused to leave.

4) mgr calls police to have them leave. Most states (California included) have trespass laws that deal with publicly accessible private property and business’ have the right to ask, tell and then have the police ask and tell you to leave and if you don’t, they have the right to have you arrested for trespassing.

5) cops show up. Mgr to cops, these guys aren’t buying anything, they’re taking up a table, I’ve asked them to leave but they won’t. Can you tell them to leave.

(Now, at this point I “presume” since it would take a victim of the trespass to actually place the trespassers under arrest via a private persons arrest that the officers asked the mgr., if they refuse will you sign for a trespass attest stating you want them arrested? Mgr most likely said yes. If he said no the officers have no leg to stand on. So let’s just say the mgr said yes since there is no article that talks about the mgr not wanting them arrested if they refused).

6) cops contact the two guys - “hey, if you’re not willing to buy a product and you’re not a customer the tables are for customers only and you need I leave”
guys, “we’re waiting for someone”.
Cop, “ok, but if you’re not a customer you can’t wait in here and take up a table.”
Guys, “well, we’re not leaving”
cops, “ok but if you refuse to leave you’ll be trespassing and you’ll be placed under arrest.”
Guys, “fine, do what you have I do”
cops, “ok so you won’t leave?”
Guys, “nope”.
Cops, “ok stand up.” Click click. Off to the pokey.

Arrested per business request. End of story.

I’ve read a couple articles that detailed what happen. Take the race of ANYONE completely out of the picture. Race does not matter in this instance and to say it does is just fuckin rhetoric ignorance. Like the cops were supposed to show up and say, “oh they’re black, this mgr must be racist”. To even think that is fuckin racist in itself! The irony is palpable. As a cop you have I walk into every situation with color blinders, social status blinders, political blinders, all blinders on, get the facts of the case and act accordingly without bias. This ain’t the fuckin FBI LOL.

Now, the law used to state (again in California) that the police had no descression but to accept a private persons arrest but that law changed about 10 years ago and now cops can in fact refuse a private persons arrest but just as it has to be articulated why you ARE accepting the arrest the same has to be articulated as to why you WOULDNT accept the arrest.

Regarding the D.A. Dropping the charges because of lack of evidence....let me explain that to anyone that’s confused. This means the original Starbucks mgr who requested the arrest was grabbed ahold of by Starbucks corporation immediately at which time Starbucks Corp contacted the Police Dept and D.A. And requested to drop charges - no victim / no crime. Charges dropped lack of evidence. Happens all the time!

The other thing that happens all the time? These types of calls, DAILY, EVERYWHERE!

This has nothing to do with race except the media and a few ambulance chasing lawyers stating such. It’s too bad theres those on the general public that can’t read through this bullshit and see it or what it is...bullshit. Don’t be a pawn of sensationalized media.

The problems only a few would understand this

Tank

Reaction score
The problems only a few would understand this

It seems to be that way more and more. Social media and constant political bickering has really dummed down society.

I think it’s pretty funny though that this is super cut and dry completely legal and not based on race and there was nothing Starbucks or the police did wrong AT ALL but there’s going to be lawsuits and a shit storm. Yet, a cop walks into an Oakland coffee shop a few months back and they refuse to serve him and ask him to leave for the simple fact he’s a cop. Complete, unapologetic and forthright bias. But that’s ok right? Right.

Meh, cant win. Lol

Taboma

Reaction score
This whole "racism card" brings up a situation whereby it allows the opportunity for minorities (especially it would seem, blacks) to set up a situation with a scenario such as this. Run the gauntlet, play the game out, get hooked up then scream racism from the rooftops and score a big payday. Who's to say they were waiting for anybody ?? The continued evolution of this, is most unpleasant to imagine. :( I'd also imagine the majority of blacks find this behavior repulsive given it's negative nature.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
This whole "racism card" brings up a situation whereby it allows the opportunity for minorities (especially it would seem, blacks) to set up a situation with a scenario such as this. Run the gauntlet, play the game out, get hooked up then scream racism from the rooftops and score a big payday. Who's to say they were waiting for anybody ?? The continued evolution of this, is most unpleasant to imagine. :( I'd also imagine the majority of blacks find this behavior repulsive given it's negative nature.
This is stuff the majority of blacks live for.The good black americans (I do have black friends)are always overshadowed by these fuckers.Loading return ship.....;):p

rrrr

Reaction score
Of course they have discretion. If le showed up and there were 20 whites and 20 blacks & no one was causing a disturbance and the manager said he wanted all of the blacks out because there are black would/should the cops do it?

It's stupidity like this that inflames racial conversations beyond all reason.

Justfishing

Reaction score
Should this have been labeled a civil matter? I mean cops do it all the time.
That is my thought. I will say I have not seen the story because it's behind a firewall. But if they are not paying customers then the manager can ask them to leave . At that point the police need to enforce treas passing law.

If those asked to leave feel the law was violated then they can seek redress in court.

To much of what happens today is people want instant justice and playing judge and jury. If a cop gives you a command follow it and file a grievance if you feel he was wrong. If a business owner asks you to leave then leave. Get a lawyer if there was an actionable offense

Last edited:

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Your a goofball and will never get it.If you looked in that mirror you just might realize that