WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Starlink - Any RV users (or residential)?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Reading this continues to make me consider it for the RV...wondering what the consensus is around here for RV use? (I don't need it at home - have Cox GigaBlast high-speed my company pays for)...

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
There’s tons of quality RV Vlogs with quality reviews. Nothing negative really from what I’ve seen but it seems that at this point it can only get better. I think after they send a few hundred thousand more satellites into the orbit it’s only going to get better. Pretty damn cool what the possibilities are. I’m thinking about getting it for my RV.

This is a decent review...

Singleton

Reaction score
Only thing keeping me from ordering is the initial hardware costs

wash11

Reaction score
Starlink is a game changer for us. Living so remote, our only choice is hotspot from our Verizon phones (limited data plans without spending a ton of money, network or local tower outages) or Hughesnet (which is painful like dial up, really only good for doing emails).

Starlink allowed my kids to move out here and work high paying virtual jobs. Speeds are always crazy fast and to date we have not had one outage. Best $110 per month we spend on anything.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
Starlink is a game changer for us. Living so remote, our only choice is hotspot from our Verizon phones (limited data plans without spending a ton of money, network or local tower outages) or Hughesnet (which is painful like dial up, really only good for doing emails).

Starlink allowed my kids to move out here and work high paying virtual jobs. Speeds are always crazy fast and to date we have not had one outage. Best $110 per month we spend on anything.
Same here. We have had it for about 4 months and absolutely love it.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Only thing keeping me from ordering is the initial hardware costs
It's a pill to swallow for sure. It's being installed on my in-laws trawler in Seattle. Interested to see how it goes for them, it was pretty much their only option that made sense.

buck35

Reaction score
It's a pill to swallow for sure. It's being installed on my in-laws trawler in Seattle. Interested to see how it goes for them, it was pretty much their only option that made sense.
What kind of coverage area now? Is it time to get on a list in ncw.?

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I just got the email that it’s available for me in our rural part of Murrieta. We are currently using a Firstnet/AT&T 5G hotspot. Im expecting better internet. Ours isn’t horrible but it really slows down when everyone in the house is on it. I think it’s been over 2 year wait since we first signed up.

702sandman

Reaction score
We used one yesterday for our 650 mile race in northern Nevada ,,, we strapped it to a spare tire in the bed of one of the chase trucks and we had full Wi-Fi signal the entire day in the remote areas

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I Just received notice Its finally avail in my area as well... I'll probably do the RV too..
FDTV and ATT
Sounds like it has limitations due to obstacles blocking the sat just as dish and DTV...

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
So I’ve been around NHRA Drag Racing for decades. I just learned that the teams don’t have enough band width when the fans show up. Lots of teams are going to Starlink.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I Just received notice Its finally avail in my area as well... I'll probably do the RV too..
FDTV and ATT
Sounds like it has limitations due to obstacles blocking the sat just as dish and DTV...
You only need the one dish. I have an extra cable to take mine in the rv with me.

Ol Man

Reaction score
Recent review with good info about residential vs RV:

Singleton

Reaction score
Recent review with good info about residential vs RV:

Thanks for posting. that makes me question what to do.
I want service at home, but when traveling in RV what to take it with me. The de-prioritization is a concern, especially based on the testing results he showed.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
We have ours for the river house and it works great. Made it a portable account and brought it to Powell and had no issues. Even when running back down lake to Wahweap we had internet. Pretty cool :)

Edit - Switched it back to non-portable when we got back to the river

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I just ordered it for our RV…. quite often we are in less than stellar coverage areas when camping so this will help a lot since I need to be able to use my phone for work.
CBE9C889-6621-4B5A-A137-BD9B97D6E49C.jpeg
F367F454-FCB6-4943-A361-CABFA696BF31.jpeg

Ol Man

Reaction score
Space X seems to be launching a lot of Starlink satellites, so I assume speeds will increase over time.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. that makes me question what to do.
I want service at home, but when traveling in RV what to take it with me. The de-prioritization is a concern, especially based on the testing results he showed.
I took mine of the house and went RV'ing with it and had no problems anywhere I went. I was all over the 4 corners area for 3 weeks.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I took mine of the house and went RV'ing with it and had no problems anywhere I went. I was all over the 4 corners area for 3 weeks.
I received Starlink last month but returned it. Was gonna do the home to RV thing.

The thought was to route the cable through the attic to the box in the house and have another cable for the RV for ease of connect/reconnect.

But the cable is permanently attached to the dish which won't work for disconnecting to move to the RV

It worked real well in the house..... I was a bit disappointed

How did you handle the cable routing?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I received Starlink last month but returned it. Was gonna do the home to RV thing.

The thought was to route the cable through the attic to the box in the house and have another cable for the RV for ease of connect/reconnect.

But the cable is permanently attached to the dish which won't work for disconnecting to move to the RV

It worked real well in the house..... I was a bit disappointed

How did you handle the cable routing?
The cable come right out of the dish. Remove the legs and it will slide out. I have cable in the house and a 150 ft one permanent mounted in the RV

PRORACER7474

Reaction score
we dragrace and once the fans get there it is impossable to get good service , have been using Starlink all year it works perfect even used it on the Calif side of the river and it was amazing

WhatExit?

Reaction score
We’re in the Tombstone area and many RVs have Starlink receivers and after talking to some I’m sold on it as the cell service here is weak and Wi-Fi sucks.

Can Starlink be shared with others in your group?

EPL

Reaction score
We’re in the Tombstone area and many RVs have Starlink receivers and after talking to some I’m sold on it as the cell service here is weak and Wi-Fi sucks.

If their close to you !

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score

It’s just like your home WiFi. Anyone within range of the WiFi (with the password) can connect to it.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Does the rv one work anywhere? The website says the home version is not yet available where I am in FL. I am assuming the rv version won't work here either.

Icky

Reaction score
You can add a mesh node from star link, although I haven't tried it.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I ordered it for the house this morning because of this link, I hope it works as well as advertised. I’ve had a couple of the satellite services because of where we live which are barely better than dial up.

intense

Reaction score
I ordered it for the house this morning because of this link, I hope it works as well as advertised. I’ve had a couple of the satellite services because of where we live which are barely better than dial up.
You will love it then

EPL

Reaction score
I have had a few different satellite services because of where we live also ,Starlink is a game changer !!

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I’m gonna order it too - for the trailer - it’ll be huge when on our trips

Reactions: EPL

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Ok next question: What’s best Firestick or Cube to use with Starlink so I can watch Netflix, Prime, Paramount+ etc. on the RV tv?

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Ok next question: What’s best Firestick or Cube to use with Starlink so I can watch Netflix, Prime, Paramount+ etc. on the RV tv?
We have AppleTVs for all of ours. Works great for us to multi-airplay to all locations.

Vib

Reaction score
We use starling and chrome cast for the RV at the rv park and it's amazing. I'd say 1/3 of our guests now use starlink.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If you're on the fence and don't need it right now, I'd hold off for the RV version for a little bit. We just connected some equipment for their new "mini" dishes for the RV's. Supposedly half the size and even faster.

The amount of development, R&D and production expansion they are doing in Hawthorne is incredible.

wash11

Reaction score
We're coming up on a year with Starlink. No issues, always fast- even works really well with heavy cloud cover or stormy weather (which I don't understand how it does it, Hughesnet went down if there was more than 2 clouds in the sky at once). I've even forgotten how much of an issue our internet used to be. If you're on the fence- don't be.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Thor just singed a huge deal with Starlink to be the first in their industry to add Starlink to 4 of their 17 RV brand lineup to start. Should be a big deal if it works out well. I Did not know Thor owns 17 brand names in the RV lineups...

EPL

Reaction score
If you're on the fence and don't need it right now, I'd hold off for the RV version for a little bit. We just connected some equipment for their new "mini" dishes for the RV's. Supposedly half the size and even faster.

The amount of development, R&D and production expansion they are doing in Hawthorne is incredible.
Have your heard any update when the smaller "mini" dishes will be available ??

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
This is pretty cool, actual footage shows how they put swarms of these things into orbit.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Have your heard any update when the smaller "mini" dishes will be available ??
I don't know about this, but a friend is building a Newmar MoHo right now and they are installing a version of Starlink that tracks while moving. Didn't know that was a thing yet, but would eliminate need for any other type of dish.

Singleton

Reaction score
I don't know about this, but a friend is building a Newmar MoHo right now and they are installing a version of Starlink that tracks while moving. Didn't know that was a thing yet, but would eliminate need for any other type of dish.
Yes, this is real. The cost of the in-motion dish is 2500.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
My Tucson store has always had crappy internet service and I've tried everything available in that location.

One of my guys is setting up Starlink down there now and the difference is huge.

98594.jpeg
98596.jpeg