WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Starlink guru?

X-rated

Reaction score
Ordered mobile version a month ago, came in a box a couple weeks ago, set it up ran the cable and viola, instant 120 mps internet!! Does slow down to 50-60 from time to time but still WAY better than my previous service. My reason for the mobile system is I plan to take it to Arizona with us to our winter home for 3-4 months.The info that comes with it says you cant take it out of the country of origin, in my case Canada, for more than 2 months. In which case this thing almost becomes useless for me. Is there some way a VPN setup could fool it? Any advice would be appreciated, and I’m definitely not a computer wizard either.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm of no help, but interested in what you're doing. I have thought about the Starlink stuff, because my riverpad has no internet, and we have taken our satellite TV box back and forth. I figure that may work for TV and internet for both places. Like you though, not much of a techie:(

X-rated

Reaction score
I have my 30 year old son in law who I consider to be my tech support trying to figger it out. Don’t want to ask too many questions of Starlink, just looking for a work around

EPL

Reaction score
I'm of no help, but interested in what you're doing. I have thought about the Starlink stuff, because my riverpad has no internet, and we have taken our satellite TV box back and forth. I figure that may work for TV and internet for both places. Like you though, not much of a techie:(
Starlink works great by the river !

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Ordered mobile version a month ago, came in a box a couple weeks ago, set it up ran the cable and viola, instant 120 mps internet!! Does slow down to 50-60 from time to time but still WAY better than my previous service. My reason for the mobile system is I plan to take it to Arizona with us to our winter home for 3-4 months.The info that comes with it says you cant take it out of the country of origin, in my case Canada, for more than 2 months. In which case this thing almost becomes useless for me. Is there some way a VPN setup could fool it? Any advice would be appreciated, and I’m definitely not a computer wizard either.

You can’t fool that you’re in a different location. With sat triangulation they could pinpoint you down to a few inches on a map.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Go check the FB group "Starlink hacks". the way it communicates they may know where you are but I don't really know. My son is still friends with some of the starlink employees that might help if you can't find anything else.

stingray11

Reaction score
How much was it and then what's the monthly charge. If you don't mind me asking.

EPL

Reaction score
How much was it and then what's the monthly charge. If you don't mind me asking.
The cost for the kit is $599.00 and the fee for an RV model is $135.00 a month ! If you aren't going to us it for a month or so you can turn it off !

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Is there an app for turning off service when not in use or do you have to call?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Just pay for the mobile Rv service of it. It’s 10 more a month
199E22E1-9FE9-4CCD-B1C7-6A08281B7270.jpeg

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
anyone know the coverage area of the residential router??

X-rated

Reaction score
I’m in Canada and paid $745 CAD which at todays exchange is $548. The monthly is $140 CAD = $103 USD.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You can’t fool that you’re in a different location. With sat triangulation they could pinpoint you down to a few inches on a map.

Also it has to know your location because whatever handful of satellites are overhead for that minute or so at a time need to aim their signals to you. The aim to within a 20km grid, the further you get away from that grid polygon the worse the signal gets.

Also in the other direction your dish needs to aim it's signal at the moving satellite thousands of times a second as it crosses the sky. If your dish is aiming the signal somewhere that a satellite isn't the signal will either be very poor, or not work at all.

All of this is done with phase array antennas inside the dish and satellite, no moving parts to aim the signal, it's done through signal timing across an array of dozens of micro antennas.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
anyone know the coverage area of the residential router??

I can’t imagine the router coverage is gonna be much different than any other router…it’s using the same tech as everything else downstream from the router.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I can’t imagine the router coverage is gonna be much different than any other router…it’s using the same tech as everything else downstream from the router.

It may be worse than a router with actual external antennas as it just has internal antennas.

I only used their supplied router to get the unit initialized then switched over to a linksys with the good external antennas.

Taboma

Reaction score
Also it has to know your location because whatever handful of satellites are overhead for that minute or so at a time need to aim their signals to you. The aim to within a 20km grid, the further you get away from that grid polygon the worse the signal gets.

Also in the other direction your dish needs to aim it's signal at the moving satellite thousands of times a second as it crosses the sky. If your dish is aiming the signal somewhere that a satellite isn't the signal will either be very poor, or not work at all.

All of this is done with phase array antennas inside the dish and satellite, no moving parts to aim the signal, it's done through signal timing across an array of dozens of micro antennas.
Doesn't the antenna dish have to be generally facing the right direction ? I was checking out a guy's antenna on a parked RV at Havasu, and noticed one day it was facing SE and the next day, different time more west. I thought the antenna simply automatically rotated, now you're stating it doesn't visibly move at all -- I know you have one so should know.
When you're RVing it, how do you know to get it pointed in the general direction ?

wallnutz

Reaction score
Doesn't the antenna dish have to be generally facing the right direction ? I was checking out a guy's antenna on a parked RV at Havasu, and noticed one day it was facing SE and the next day, different time more west. I thought the antenna simply automatically rotated, now you're stating it doesn't visibly move at all -- I know you have one so should know.
When you're RVing it, how do you know to get it pointed in the general direction ?
Point it North and it will automatically adjust. The new ones that work while traveling are just pointed straight up it looks like.

River Runnin

Reaction score
It Moves! tracks, auto locks on!

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Do they have dome antennas for Rvs. so it can be used on the road ?

Taboma

Reaction score
Point it North and it will automatically adjust. The new ones that work while traveling are just pointed straight up it looks like.
The ones I've seen on parked RVs seem to be pointing different directions at various times and days. Not pointing straight up --- although I realize this system is still undergoing changes as more birds are set free. So I wasn't sure if somebody had to walk out and move it, or it moved itself. Racey is saying it doesn't move at all, unless home dishes are different ??
I don't have one, but I'm considering it now that I can no longer get San Diego local channels in Havasu on my Directv Sat system.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
There are 3 types of dishes. The flat array is for mobile use. My gen 2/Rv style non in motion will rotate to the desired position once powered up.

wallnutz

Reaction score
The ones I've seen on parked RVs seem to be pointing different directions at various times and days. Not pointing straight up --- although I realize this system is still undergoing changes as more birds are set free. So I wasn't sure if somebody had to walk out and move it, or it moved itself. Racey is saying it doesn't move at all, unless home dishes are different ??
I don't have one, but I'm considering it now that I can no longer get San Diego local channels in Havasu on my Directv Sat system.
Mine moves by itself in a straight line N to S. But not very much. When I set it up at the house after a day it usually doesn't move again.

wallnutz

Reaction score
There are 3 types of dishes. The flat array is for mobile use. My gen 2/Rv style non in motion will rotate to the desired position once powered up.
That's what mine does after I set it up pointing to the N.

EPL

Reaction score
I use it on my Houseboat and RV and have never pointed it in any special direction and it has worked great !!

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
They are all one style !
Not the case any more. There are three options.

Stationary residential. Traditional antenna and Will only work at your registered location.

Portable residential. Traditional antenna but can be used anywhere. This add on to your service can be turned on or off each month.

In motion. In motion dish that can be used at any location and while in motion. Mounts flat. Service can be turned on or off monthly.

Taboma

Reaction score

Stationary residential. Traditional antenna and Will only work at your registered location.

Portable residential. Traditional antenna but can be used anywhere. This add on to your service can be turned on or off each month.

In motion. In motion dish that can be used at any location and while in motion. Mounts flat. Service can be turned on or off monthly.
Now I need to get some pro-installer out here to see what my "Real World" mounting options are and most of all how to get their special cables installed without any wall or ceiling repair required --- my house was pre-wired with enough of everything, everywhere --- except Elon's special Starlink Cabling. 😖

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Now I need to get some pro-installer out here to see what my "Real World" mounting options are and most of all how to get their special cables installed without any wall or ceiling repair required --- my house was pre-wired with enough of everything, everywhere --- except Elon's special Starlink Cabling. 😖
Yeah, that cable is super frustrating. If you have any gable ends the easiest thing is to put it on a wall mount and do your penetration there (or through a vent if you don’t want a penetration). You can leave the ‘router’ up there and do an Ethernet adapter that ties into your existing cat5/6 cabling.

EPL

Reaction score

The in motion flat one is for the ballers on here , cost is $2,500 !!

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score

I have the portable residential and I am being told you can not turn service on/off. That option is only for the Rv set up.?

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I have the portable residential and I am being told you can not turn service on/off. That option is only for the Rv set up.?
Correct, you can turn on/off portability on the standard residential service but not the service itself.

If you purchase the $2500 in motion Starlink you can pause service as desired.

EPL

Reaction score
Correct, you can turn on/off portability on the standard residential service but not the service itself.

If you purchase the $2500 in motion Starlink you can pause service as desired.
From what I understand yes you can pause the service when not using it !

greg shirley

Reaction score
I paid a 99 dollar deposit to set up new star link service at our river house at the end of Sept. Still haven't received equipment yet. They said approximately 6 weeks out. Tried opening a ticket through their website still nothing. So far for me, not impressed. Anyone have same experience?

lenmann

Reaction score
I paid a 99 dollar deposit to set up new star link service at our river house at the end of Sept. Still haven't received equipment yet. They said approximately 6 weeks out. Tried opening a ticket through their website still nothing. So far for me, not impressed. Anyone have same experience?
Yup. Waited over a year for my residential service and hardware. I ordered an additional RV service and hardware in September and it took about six weeks to receive.

Reactions: EPL

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Yup. Waited over a year for my residential service and hardware. I ordered an additional RV service and hardware in September and it took about six weeks to receive.
Well let’s be fair. The service didn’t exist a year ago. So you were waiting for them to launch stuff into space lol.

I ordered my unit last month and got it in 3 weeks.

ConcreteDr

Reaction score
I have had it for a few months at our place it’s unreal for speed and cost compared to the previous ways we got tv and internet we can run all the Camras and all our tv apps we have at home here at the river for a fraction of the cost and 8x the speed
a buddy has just left for Cabo with one on his boat I’m looking forward to a report back on how it works underway it works at rest in a marina but not sure about 10 knots in weather I’ll report back!

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
If you order it as portable you’ll get it ASAP. Otherwise it is based on availability in your area. They do that to make sure their service isn’t oversubscribed. I waited over a year for my hardware. It’s worth it once you get it.