WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

StarLink - Really worth the hype

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Ok, so I jumped on Starlink and signed up as soon as it was announced. Just got the hardware shipment in December and just set it up today.

I gotta say, if you are suffering with HughesNet, you'll be dumping it as soon as you can get StarLink.

Speed test with StarLink on my iPhone connected to the StarLink router: 280Mbps download, 11.7Mbps upload, Ping is 23ms.

That last metric, Ping, with HughesNet is in the high hundreds, if not above 1,000. StarLink is much more responsive and way more like having residential internet.

A note though. What you get sent is what I would call the "RV kit". Essentially its the sat antenna on a short pole and a four legged stand to put it on. But that results in a setup thats about 2 feet tall. The long cable (like 50') then runs to the starlink router (cable is detachable from the router) and that itself has a power cord (also detachable) that you plug into the wall.

Setup is done via the Starlink App on your phone. The app has you scan the sky and it gathers all the satellites it knows about and gives you feedback on whether the spot can see a good enough number of sats or you should consider another location. Then once the system boots up the app sees it, and asks you to setup the wifi name and password, and thats all you get to configure. After that it just starts working.

If you want house mounting options, you have to order those accessories separately, but one of the issues with that is you have to wait until AFTER your kit ships to be able to even place the order for accessories. Other than that, their accessory kits are pretty complete, some even include drill bits. One, for masonry walls, even includes a hammer drill and the hammer drill bit. So that makes the accessory kit sometimes pricey, especially for a one time use.

Starlink equipment is $499. Service is $99 per month. To quote Ferris Bueller: " It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

4Waters

Reaction score
We are paying 80 a month for 70mbps download and 5mbps upload through spectrum, been pondering starlink as it's only 20 dollars more.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I've had mine since May, amazing how much better it is than my old 20mbps DSL.

Setup is super easy and it's a flat $99 a month, no additional taxes fees etc.

If you have ground fiber it's not gonna be worth it for you unless you have data caps. Starlink has no data cap currently

Kbach

Reaction score
Same here....spectrum can suck it. Seems like if you complain it gets better for a week then goes back to shit. Thought about starlink but not sure about availability/timeline in Simi. One of our vendors builds a lot of the parts for starlink...wish I could just grab one while I'm over there and have Elon flip the switch so it works when I plug it in 😂

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Hell the box has next to no instructions other than a card with three pictures.

Setup was very painless and do it yourself but obviously for a home install you will need to drill a hole in a wall to pass the cable through but they have kits for the wall pass through.

Plus starlink emails you the instructions for getting the app. App was good too. Not only does it give you status, but you can run speed tests from it, and see how many devices are connected to the box.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Setup was very painless and do it yourself but obviously for a home install you will need to drill a hole in a wall to pass the cable through but they have kits for the wall pass through.

Plus starlink emails you the instructions for getting the app. App was good too. Not only does it give you status, but you can run speed tests from it, and see how many devices are connected to the box.
You can also go to 192.168.100.1 to access stats from inside the network 👍

Taboma

Reaction score

Is this cable you mentioned special, so any house pre-wiring to a preferred antenna location becomes obsolete ? Are you the limited to 50' ?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I am hoping for the ability to move sites by the time mine gets here.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
My sister just got it at her airpark in az. She was getting line of site internet at 12-15 mb and starlink is doing 350

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Is this cable you mentioned special, so any house pre-wiring to a preferred antenna location becomes obsolete ? Are you the limited to 50' ?

Yes its special to the Starlink, so basically you'd remove the existing house wiring and re-run it with the starlink cable. Starlink sells longer than 50', I think they have 100 or 150.

Starlink sells an ethernet adapter for a wired connection but I dont know it it would permit a switch on the remote end or an alternate wifi router.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yes its special to the Starlink, so basically you'd remove the existing house wiring and re-run it with the starlink cable. Starlink sells longer than 50', I think they have 100 or 150.

Starlink sells an ethernet adapter for a wired connection but I dont know it it would permit a switch on the remote end or an alternate wifi router.
Doing some reading on a few more geeky forums, where they seem to think it's basically a Cat 6 cable using a couple of the conductors to power the antenna. Some member have cut off the large end in order to fish through walls, then re-spliced successfully.
To do a really clean install on my house I'd have to fish walls which won't happen with that large ferrule on the connector end.
Then I'd need another dish for the future (When adequate sat coverage allows) in order to take it to Havasu as we currently do with our Directv Genie.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So I ran a speedtest on my iPhone connected to Starlink out in Havasu as I mentioned previously, and once I got back home, connected to my home internet service (200Mbps/10Mbps cable internet). Starlink was FASTER or better in every metric.

Starlink: 280Mbps down, 11.7Mbps up. 23ms ping.

Charter landline cable internet: 222Mbps down, 10.6Mbps up. 13ms ping.

Starlink can keep taking my money if they continue to smoke HughesNet at our Havasu place in every possible way.

Maybe next time I'll run a speedtest on HughesNet again just to remind myself why I'm going to be cancelling HughesNet.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Just had the guy come out to our Alabama house, soeeds of 150-200, I guess I can live with that