WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Starlink String of 50 Satellites visible tonight and tomorrow in LHC/Vegas

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Might still be a little bit of dusk on the horizon, but if you are out away from town you can probably see them. Times are +/- 10 minutes.

These are the sats from the Vandenberg Launch on Monday.
starlink.jpg

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So these are the birds in the low orbit before being moved to their parking orbits or are they where they are supposed to be now? You'd think these wouldnt be that visible, this is the low vis generation of sats.

Speaking of Starlink, hey Musk, where's my damn service in the Springs??? I put myself on the list as soon as I was able and got the $500 charge for equipment but I havent seen the equipment show up or any other notifications.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
So these are the birds in the low orbit before being moved to their parking orbits or are they where they are supposed to be now? You'd think these wouldnt be that visible, this is the low vis generation of sats.

Speaking of Starlink, hey Musk, where's my damn service in the Springs??? I put myself on the list as soon as I was able and got the $500 charge for equipment but I havent seen the equipment show up or any other notifications.

Has anyone in LHC gotten service yet? I just learn a month or so ago that as of currently there are no Sat to Sat comms, the 1500 up so far don't have interconnection capability, which means you have to be within range of a ground station.

The 51 launched monday have the sat to sat communication lasers, and every one launched from here on out will as well. This means you will be able to be anywhere in the world soon. This is also why the current generation of service is "geo-fenced".

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Has anyone in LHC gotten service yet? I just learn a month or so ago that as of currently there are no Sat to Sat comms, the 1500 up so far don't have interconnection capability, which means you have to be within range of a ground station.

The 51 launched monday have the sat to sat communication lasers, and every one launched from here on out will as well. This means you will be able to be anywhere in the world soon. This is also why the current generation of service is "geo-fenced".

I’m 25 miles east of Kingman. Been on the awaiting list since last April. Nothing yet. Can’t wait to get mine.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

I saw on FB that Paul65k has it on havasu. I am still waiting and I had an inside guy.

Reaction score
Just caught the Inspiration4 flyby on the east coast @9:00 est. Super low and bright. Hope you left coasters get a view!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Not sure what I saw, just one very bright lite, started straight up and traveled Northeast, but not a series of lights. Watched from 7:20 till 7:45.:(

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
A little disappointing compared to what I saw earlier in the summer. It looked like headlights on the freeway back then, this just looked like the one bright light as described, I guess I’ll try again tomorrow night.

golakers

Reaction score
I got to see the last 2 Starlink satellite launches by chance on an early am run. It’s an unreal sight!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Not sure what I saw, just one very bright lite, started straight up and traveled Northeast, but not a series of lights. Watched from 7:20 till 7:45.:(

That was definitely a sat, it may have been the Dragon capsule but I wasn't able to check the map, the starlinks crossed 90 degrees to it's path at about 35 degrees above the horizon at the exact same time.

They were much dimmer, and with the moon would be hard to see unless you were away from the light pollution.

We went out to the desert and saw them, the 7:33 time was spot on, but with the full moon you really had to be looking, once you caught the first one it was easy to see the rest following.

Tomorrow should be better as they will be at a higher inclination and into darker sky.

wash11

Reaction score
I’m 25 miles east of Kingman. Been on the awaiting list since last April. Nothing yet. Can’t wait to get mine.
Same here. Our Verizon service has been terrible since Covid hit. It will be nice having real internet again.

wash11

Reaction score
I cant wait to give HughesNet the finger and throw their goddamn dish in the lake!
We have Hughesnet as a backup when Verizon goes down (which is pretty often in our area). I am still amazed at how terrible it is when I use it!

Universal Elements

Reaction score
We have Hughesnet as a backup when Verizon goes down (which is pretty often in our area). I am still amazed at how terrible it is when I use it!

i couldn’t get Hughesnet in our area because there were no available slots open. So, I go Viasat. First 3 months were $120 then it jumped to $185. It was not that fast and was not too reliable. I paid $325 to deactivate it after 6 months because it was a 2 year contract. I have Verizon too but through their sister company called Visible. With 3 separate lines, I run everything in the house. My tower is not too far away. It does slow down a little when the truckers are using it at DW & Blake Ranch.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

That’s what we saw.
Same thing we saw. Wonder if it was the Inspiration that @5150 mentioned above.
Hope tonight stays clear and get another chance to see Starlink.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That was definitely a sat, it may have been the Dragon capsule but I wasn't able to check the map, the starlinks crossed 90 degrees to it's path at about 35 degrees above the horizon at the exact same time.

They were much dimmer, and with the moon would be hard to see unless you were away from the light pollution.

We went out to the desert and saw them, the 7:33 time was spot on, but with the full moon you really had to be looking, once you caught the first one it was easy to see the rest following.

Tomorrow should be better as they will be at a higher inclination and into darker sky.
Horizon to our East?

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Might still be a little bit of dusk on the horizon, but if you are out away from town you can probably see them. Times are +/- 10 minutes.

These are the sats from the Vandenberg Launch on Monday.
View attachment 1050190
How long did it take you to get the starlink? I ordered it a few months ago and haven’t heard anything.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I got on the early "info" list probably 2 years ago, and then ordered within an hour of them sending the notification that it was available in my area. It showed up about 2 months later. Howardflat ordered the same day as well, but never got his. The only thing i can think is I either got priority because of how long i was on the list, OR because there is only 1 isp option for my service address, DSL.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
we looked last night for the starlink, didn't see it but we did see the space station haul ass going west to east

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Starlink will be dropping beta testing soon… the. You can just order it.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
we looked last night for the starlink, didn't see it but we did see the space station haul ass going west to east

Ok, so that's what it was. It was BRIGHT.

Starlinks crossed it 90 degrees about 30 degrees elevation above the horizon at the same time.

I think tonight they are gonna be more like 80 degrees above the horizon, so almost directly overhead.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Ok, so that's what it was. It was BRIGHT.

Starlinks crossed it 90 degrees about 30 degrees elevation above the horizon at the same time.

I think tonight they are gonna be more like 80 degrees above the horizon, so almost directly overhead.
it was very bright and fast... I think starlink was too low on the horizon for us, behind the local mountains

2Driver

Reaction score
The single bright light moving fast last night was the space station fly over. Came over Cave Creek / Carefree around 7:30. flying mostly SW 2 NE ish. We went out to a mt top over the lake to see it

We did not see the starlink. Note that the times in the app are MT time

39476BCD-89E6-47C3-8745-FE8A9E8E13EB.jpeg

66E8CE37-B675-49A2-AFBE-08470A830374.jpeg

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm not sure Havasu is going to clear for tonight, but maybe.🤞

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
We got to see it a few trips back...it was actually really cool since havasu has so little light pollution.

Taboma

Reaction score
We got to see it a few trips back...it was actually really cool since havasu has so little light pollution.
So little light pollution compared to where --- Downtown LA ? Sure 20+ years ago Havasu had beautiful dark skies with plants and stars galore. Now the light pollution from the city is horrible. "Oh yeah man, but look dude, I got all these really cool led's lighting up my yard and every bush and rock". ;)

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
So little light pollution compared to where --- Downtown LA ? Sure 20+ years ago Havasu had beautiful dark skies with plants and stars galore. Now the light pollution from the city is horrible. "Oh yeah man, but look dude, I got all these really cool led's lighting up my yard and every bush and rock". ;)
I don’t think it’s the landscape lighting near as much as everybody that leaves their damn porch lights on all damn night.😝

Taboma

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s the landscape lighting near as much as everybody that leaves their damn porch lights on all damn night.😝

Cheap LED non-shielded fixtures with dusk to dawn photo-cells are a huge contributor to light pollution. Fixtures designed as "Dark Sky" compliant, such as they use (Or are supposed to) in cities like Flagstaff and Tucson are designed with shields to illuminate the ground or path, but cut off light shining up.
I think as dark sky pollution has increased right along with the population and advent of cheap Chinese LED Home Depot and Lowes lighting fixtures, generations are forgetting what a beautiful show goes on right above out heads each night.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Most of the light pollution for the average person trying to see the stars comes from overhead street lights. Havasu has very little of those. It's definitely better than most places in that respect.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Cheap LED non-shielded fixtures with dusk to dawn photo-cells are a huge contributor to light pollution. Fixtures designed as "Dark Sky" compliant, such as they use (Or are supposed to) in cities like Flagstaff and Tucson are designed with shields to illuminate the ground or path, but cut off light shining up.
I think as dark sky pollution has increased right along with the population and advent of cheap Chinese LED Home Depot and Lowes lighting fixtures, generations are forgetting what a beautiful show goes on right above out heads each night.
We have a Havasu neighbor with one of those that is at just the right angle to blind us. 😡
It used to be motion activated but he switched it to D to D.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Most of the light pollution for the average person trying to see the stars comes from overhead street lights. Havasu has very little of those. It's definitely better than most places in that respect.
Even without the street lights it’s gotten worse and worse out here in Havasu. Many homeowners have bright floodlights on their entire property the whole time they’re there and when they’re gone. A few of the places light up the street better than if there were street lights. I’m not a big fan of more government intrusion into our lives but I wouldn’t mind seeing some kind of a lighting ordinance enforced in Havasu. There are probably standards, but I don’t think it’s enforced.🙁

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Even without the street lights it’s gotten worse and worse out here in Havasu. Many homeowners have bright floodlights on their entire property the whole time they’re there and when they’re gone. A few of the places light up the street better than if there were street lights. I’m not a big fan of more government intrusion into our lives but I wouldn’t mind seeing some kind of a lighting ordinance enforced in Havasu. There are probably standards, but I don’t think it’s enforced.🙁
There are standards and they are not enforced. I have been trying to get a neighbor around the corners lights removed but no luck so far.

Taboma

Reaction score
We have a Havasu neighbor with one of those that is at just the right angle to blind us. 😡
It used to be motion activated but he switched it to D to D.

Yup, had several discussions with my newer "Rolling in dollars" millennial Havasu neighbor over his piss poor and very rude light fixture purchases and installs. I've even proved to him dumb-ass post lights he installed to illuminate his stairs, actually were so blinding they were a hazard and you could see better with them off.
Of course, no diffuser or shield, so from every known angle you'd get an eyeball full of blinding glare from one or more Light Emitting Diodes themselves, even from 50' away.
Then there was the obnoxious LED motion light he installed, that with every Havasu breeze, strobed on and off all night long. Didn't matter he wasn't even in town, the lights were all on every night. Didn't matter than as a security light they were about as effective as a car alarm that goes off with any vibration that everybody simply ignores. Apparently for some reason, certainly one I find mysterious, the motion light stopped working suddenly as did the post lights. 🤔 😁
Post lights were replaced with very nice fixtures that actually enhance using the stairs in the dark and well, the motion light is gone entirely. 👏

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Yup, had several discussions with my newer "Rolling in dollars" millennial Havasu neighbor over his piss poor and very rude light fixture purchases and installs. I've even proved to him dumb-ass post lights he installed to illuminate his stairs, actually were so blinding they were a hazard and you could see better with them off.
Of course, no diffuser or shield, so from every known angle you'd get an eyeball full of blinding glare from one or more Light Emitting Diodes themselves, even from 50' away.
Then there was the obnoxious LED motion light he installed, that with every Havasu breeze, strobed on and off all night long. Didn't matter he wasn't even in town, the lights were all on every night. Didn't matter than as a security light they were about as effective as a car alarm that goes off with any vibration that everybody simply ignores. Apparently for some reason, certainly one I find mysterious, the motion light stopped working suddenly as did the post lights. 🤔 😁
Post lights were replaced with very nice fixtures that actually enhance using the stairs in the dark and well, the motion light is gone entirely. 👏
Lol, by chance our impolite neighbor is a retired Sparky. When the city contacted him about his lamp he was quite aware of the ordinances and stated his lamp was under the citys lumens limit.
It's not like we asked him to remove or extinguish it but adjust or put a shield on it. For goodness sakes, it illuminates the side yard he doesn't hardly walk through.🤷‍♂️😏
Rude bastard.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I think the law says something about watts of light not lumens. So new 25 watts led will blind you but not unlawful.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I’m not gonna say who, but a long time ago before everyone had doorbell and security system cameras everywhere I know a Havasu resident that would unscrew lightbulbs. At least it lasted till they came out for another visit.🙄😇😊

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I’m not gonna say who, but a long time ago before everyone had doorbell and security system cameras everywhere I know a Havasu resident that would unscrew lightbulbs. At least it lasted till they came out for another visit.🙄😇😊
Ever try a laser at the motion sensor? asking for a friend.

Taboma

Reaction score
I think the law says something about watts of light not lumens. So new 25 watts led will blind you but not unlawful.

In essence, in various sections it uses Foot Candles, Lumens and equates a basic wattage figure, both for incandescent and Fluorescent, as an example of those lumens.
Of course it's a lot to wade through, because there's residential zoning ordinances, development, commercial and outdoor sports, with various requirements and exemptions.
In Ziggy's behalf, I did read that for developments, any fixtures in excess of 375 Lumens, which they list as an equivalent of 25 watt incandescent, or 7 watts fluorescent, illuminating the outside of a building, cut-off shielding is required to prevent the light from spilling over on an adjacent property. The problem is, with LEDs, almost no illumination can be measured, but the diode itself can still be a pin-prick of blinding light, not unlike a laser beam (Just not as powerful of course).