WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Starting Generator trips GFCI

Tahoe540

Reaction score
2014 Weekend Warrior with a 5500 Onan generator.
Went to start it to get ready for a camping trip and it turned over fine. When it started to run it just died and there was no power anywhere in the trailer. After some troubleshooting I figured out the main GFCI outlet was tripping. I couldn't reset it and finally figured out I had to plug in shore power to reset the GFCI outlet. Everything works fine on Shore power. As soon as you hit the start button all the power shuts off because the GFCI trips.
I have been using this trailer with no issues. Been 2 weeks since our last trip with no changes or fixes being done.
Thanks for any help

Xring01

Reaction score
No expert at all, but the GFCI switch, could be the problem. Remember they are typically made my low cost countries, like China. That shit typically doesnt last long.

A key reason I bring this up... I happened to get my ass kicked by one years ago. Yep, it whooooppppeeeeddddd my ass... I felt pretty stupid when I finally figured out the problem... that stupid GFCI

Steve-o

Reaction score
I just had the opposite problem. Generator it worked ok but on shore power it would trip. LONG story short, the GFCI had gone bad and when I installed a new one, the line vs load connections were reversed from the original outlet. So, make sure when you connect a new one that the incoming power wire goes on the line connection and the power out goes on the load connection. Good luck.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
GFCI's are cheap and easy. Replace that first and see if it fixes it.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
2014 Weekend Warrior with a 5500 Onan generator.
Went to start it to get ready for a camping trip and it turned over fine. When it started to run it just died and there was no power anywhere in the trailer. After some troubleshooting I figured out the main GFCI outlet was tripping. I couldn't reset it and finally figured out I had to plug in shore power to reset the GFCI outlet. Everything works fine on Shore power. As soon as you hit the start button all the power shuts off because the GFCI trips.
I have been using this trailer with no issues. Been 2 weeks since our last trip with no changes or fixes being done.
Thanks for any help

I have a WW. I recommend 2 things. First replace the GFI just to rule that out. #2 you need to check all of the wires that go into the bus bar and make sure they are tight. I had a ground come out and it caused electrical issues like your talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

outboard_256

Reaction score
Get a volt meter out and start taking measurements, when on generator and when on shore power. You should be able to identify the issue the trace it down. Never been a fan of randomly replacing parts till its fixed. A lot of time you are fixing symptoms and not fixing problems.

Tahoe540

Reaction score
Finally figured out my batteries were not charging. Just got back from a week of camping and found I had no water in the batteries or propane in my tanks LOL. I also have solar so my batteries have always been charged. I did change the GFCI outlet though.