WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

***STATE OF THE UNION CURRENT ECONOMY****

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
So I've been watching whats going on right now....those that wanna work have jobs.... those that don't...don't...those that wanna take care of them selves do... those that don't get aid...

but also noticed this...

now this is just where I live but, all my neighbors are involved….every one has house cleaners, pool service, bug service, land scapers, window washers, auto detailers, one little thing goes wrong, repair trucks show up... no buddy does anything...furniture gets replaced just to change color....everybodys always doing upgrades and remodels..

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So I've been watching whats going on right now....those that wanna work have jobs.... those that don't...don't...those that wanna take care of them selves do... those that don't get aid...

but also noticed this...

now this is just where I live but, all my neighbors are involved….every one has house cleaners, pool service, bug service, land scapers, window washers, auto detailers, one little thing goes wrong, repair trucks show up... no buddy does anything...furniture gets replaced just to change color....everybodys always doing upgrades and remodels..

It’s all good until people start loosing their jobs Steve.

People want everything as a service, they don’t want to lift a finger for anything they don’t want to deal with.

Just the direction society is moving towards.

Cdog

Reaction score
It’s the cycle. Hopefully we can maintain this for many years. Theirs a huge backlog for those of us that came to age in the 2000’s. Now we will see the older millennials start to family form and the demand will increase.

All good things...

Cdog

Reaction score
My 12 year old has 12 +hr days between school , volleyball & USA swim team. They’re not all the same. Girl just won a district game in Volleyball and begged to go to the last hour of swim.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I do all my own stuff too except for the pool at the new Havasu house. Luckily, our yard in OC is not too big, so it is only an hour every other week.

My parents live in Newport Beach. Expensive house. They are both in their 80's and my dad finally got a gardener for the 'big stuff'.

Their next-door neighbors are a hoot. They are in their 40's (family money) and don't lift a finger for anything. Gardeners, weekly car detailing, full-time housekeeper, weekly bookkeeper, interior plant person, people to put their trash out weekly, monthly touch-up painter. They take extended vacations and the car detailer comes weekly even if the cars haven't been out of the garage for weeks. But the best is when they put their Christmas tree out to the curb every year with the lights still on it! Apparently it is too 'messy' to remove them.

4Waters

Reaction score
I have a pool guy but I do everything else on the house, cars, yards........ I try not to pay for things that I can do. For the record I can't deal with the pool, I've tried and just can't.

boatpi

Reaction score
Much of this is regional and Las Vegas is smoking and will be for many years.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Wife and I do everything we own a ranch when you own a ranch you ranch wifey orders gravel goes out and gets our tractor and spreads it we have a big garden Wife gets the Rototiller drags it over there and rototilled it she Needs hay cubes she gets in the old truck and drives 45 minutes they loader she comes home and unload them in the barn can’t remember the last thing we did that we paid someone to do besides new flooring

DLC

Reaction score
Look at all the people they keep busy, jobs jobs jobs!

why save for a rainy day when you can spend now and enjoy your day!

i do most of the stuff around the house myself, but our pool guy is just chems.....

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
You know when things are good when you see the “I clean your BBQ grill” and “I pick up dog poop” vehicles running around.

Guess I grew up differently, I do wayyyyyyy too much stuff myself

I see those and think..."How fuckin lazy can people be?" At least pick up your dogs shit for fucks sakes

LazyLavey

Reaction score
there's definitely something to say about sitting back and admiring your own work, no matter how menial it is... i.e. mowing the yard, fixing some plumbing, detailing or repairing the car, etc..

But... sometimes it feels just as good to watch somebody else doing it for me!

I guess if you got disposable coin

lenmann

Reaction score
North of 70% of the US Economy is service based. Manufacturing and Agriculture productivity continues to rise through automation/technology and as such jobs in those sectors continue to decline. We all need to keep buying services to keep people working and the economy growing.

Sell that lawn mower and weed wacker on CL and hire a gardener.

riverroyal

Reaction score
All the construction unions are tapped out in san diego.
Thats good. Except the flood gates are opening late summer.
I believe this will be the busiest construction year(s) that ive seen in my 30 years here.
Its going to be brutal

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I enjoy tackling some projects around the house and know I’m not an expert at many. Most of the time I look at it this way. Can I go to work and make more money than I will save doing it my self? If the answer is yes I pay to have it done. My time off with family is far too valuable.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I enjoy tackling some projects around the house and know I’m not an expert at many. Most of the time I look at it this way. Can I go to work and make more money than I will save doing it my self? If the answer is yes I pay to have it done. My time off with family is far too valuable.

This!

HitIt

Reaction score
Sell that lawn mower and weed wacker on CL and hire a gardener.

I have been the do everything myself kinda guy for my whole life. Learned it from my dad. Finally got a gardener around 6 months ago after realizing that I would rather work a few extra hours a month to pay for a gardener so that I can spend the extra time with my kiddos. They are only young once. Only time to do the yard work is during the daytime while they are awake and I felt like I was missing out on too much time.

Last week, I said f-it and traded my gardener my Honda mower and Echo weedwacker for 3 months of service. Nice to get it out of the shed!

bk2drvr

Reaction score
It baffles me how so many grown men don't know how to do basic repairs on anything. They are completely at the mercy of others if any little thing breaks. There are a lot of guys that don't even know how to hang a picture on a wall. Young boys/men growing up now spending so much time on the cell phone don't stand a chance of taking any skills into the adulthood. Its a sad situation.

Raffit78

Reaction score
Steve, you nailed it. :) this happened today.

can I get a little credit for assembling it?

Attachments

• 26294B2E-65EE-42C2-AD21-F8C0EAA66F55.jpeg
    26294B2E-65EE-42C2-AD21-F8C0EAA66F55.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 39EDDF58-2F8A-44C3-8B93-B046A06AA9A8.jpeg
    39EDDF58-2F8A-44C3-8B93-B046A06AA9A8.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 96

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
and what about the MOMS......how many remember coming home from school to that god awful smell in the house,,..perm day......or watching mom sitting at the table painting her own finger nails....or the kitchen table covered with fabric and a sewing machine...????mom made everything Scratch,... bisquits, pies, cup cakes, trip to the grocery was just basics... no paper towels,= hand towels...no pepsi,= kool aid...no bottled water...I laugh when the young peeps say the struggle is real,...

Taboma

Reaction score
Wife and I do everything we own a ranch when you own a ranch you ranch wifey orders gravel goes out and gets our tractor and spreads it we have a big garden Wife gets the Rototiller drags it over there and rototilled it she Needs hay cubes she gets in the old truck and drives 45 minutes they loader she comes home and unload them in the barn can’t remember the last thing we did that we paid someone to do besides new flooring

Your wife sounds amazingly self-reliant and seems to have certainly been raised right 👍👍👍
Hmmmm 🤔, well you must do something right, given your skills are essentially redundant :oops: I don't recommended the purchase of a large life insurance plan 😜

2Driver

Reaction score
The bigger question is what do your kids do around the house vs hiring it out.

My kid has the grass, pool and major tree trimming and property clean up on 7 acres. Nothing gets done better and faster than some high school kids with a work ethic. LOL start with the football or wrestling team.

IMG_1329.jpg
IMG_1652.jpg

TCHB

Reaction score
This started a long time ago. My next door neighbor in HB had the ones you mentioned and a cleaner service who picked up the family clothes. John did not have one single tool in his garage and thought I was crazy doing things around the house.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
All the construction unions are tapped out in san diego.
Thats good. Except the flood gates are opening late summer.
I believe this will be the busiest construction year(s) that ive seen in my 30 years here.
Its going to be brutal

Labor is pretty tight in DFW as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NicPaus

Reaction score
Last 3 years have been slammed. 12 hour days 6-7 days a week. I need my river truck washed as I did not plan on going but the upholster text yesterday boat is ready. I have never paid to wash it but would today. Probably be my 10 o'clock tonight job after work.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I enjoy tackling some projects around the house and know I’m not an expert at many. Most of' the time I look at it this way. Can I go to work and make more money than I will save doing it my self? If the answer is yes I pay to have it done. My time off with family is far too valuable.

I feel the same way.

My wife and I do so much around the house. We like to do it! It's fun to have coffee on a Sunday morning and then delve in to a project together. Plus we are so anal retentive we know it will be done right. However, there are those times it just doesn't make sense for us to do a project.

I do like to wash my vehicles and detail and no matter how much money I had, I still feel I would do it my self. Truly there is nobody who will do the job I will do and if they did, it would cost me 400.00 for a wash as I am so meticulous. :D

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is really hard today to find someone that actually does a good job , most people just do the bear minimum to get by .

mbrown2

Reaction score
I do all my own stuff too except for the pool at the new Havasu house. Luckily, our yard in OC is not too big, so it is only an hour every other week.

My parents live in Newport Beach. Expensive house. They are both in their 80's and my dad finally got a gardener for the 'big stuff'.

Their next-door neighbors are a hoot. They are in their 40's (family money) and don't lift a finger for anything. Gardeners, weekly car detailing, full-time housekeeper, weekly bookkeeper, interior plant person, people to put their trash out weekly, monthly touch-up painter. They take extended vacations and the car detailer comes weekly even if the cars haven't been out of the garage for weeks. But the best is when they put their Christmas tree out to the curb every year with the lights still on it! Apparently it is too 'messy' to remove them.

Damn....I was like was is the problem until they got to the throwing out the lights on the xmas tree... :):):):):)

PlanB

Reaction score
We pay to have landscaping, weed control and pool service in Havasu, but we don't live there. I take care of 3 acres at our place in California. I have a DR trimmer, weed eater, chainsaw ect... It takes me about 8 hours to cut the weeds on the property. Cutting tree limbs is also a time consuming job. About the only stuff we hire out is trimming of the large trees that you need a boom truck to trim. It's a PITA, but I still do most of it myself.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
and what about the MOMS......how many remember coming home from school to that god awful smell in the house,,..perm day......or watching mom sitting at the table painting her own finger nails....or the kitchen table covered with fabric and a sewing machine...????mom made everything Scratch,... bisquits, pies, cup cakes, trip to the grocery was just basics... no paper towels,= hand towels...no pepsi,= kool aid...no bottled water...I laugh when the young peeps say the struggle is real,...

have you priced sewing supplies, fabrics? Or baking ingredients? it’s more expensive to make shit yourself, food or sewing. It’s ridiculous. My wife stays home, bakes, cleans, makes curtains, costumes, pillows, does yard work. But, damn, it’s nuts how expensive making stuff is now.

I do just about everything on the house, cars, boat, etc. I don’t make enough to say time is worth more to just hire a pro. We couldn’t buy nicer stuff or invest money like we do without all the labor we provide for things. And the feeling of not being helpless is priceless. Shit breaks, I pick up a wrench not the phone.

It would be nice to hire a pro once in a while though!

Cobalt232

Reaction score
It baffles me how so many grown men don't know how to do basic repairs on anything. They are completely at the mercy of others if any little thing breaks. There are a lot of guys that don't even know how to hang a picture on a wall. Young boys/men growing up now spending so much time on the cell phone don't stand a chance of taking any skills into the adulthood. Its a sad situation.
We literally have to show our new hires how to use a broom.

Want to be amazed?? Ask them to change a flourescent light bulb.

HBCraig

Reaction score
I will tell you an interesting take on new hires fresh out of college. Many employers look heavily at student athletes for the more fact they have to manage their time between sports and school. It's a good skill to learn early and as a college athlete you are forced to

TCHB

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is really hard today to find someone that actually does a good job , most people just do the bear minimum to get by .
When I hired into SCE in 77 the old guys said the same thing. They retired and we did ok running the power houses.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm just thrilled I don't have to watch the presidential state of the union address anymore...

Thanks Steve!

👍

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
So far I've hired a pool service and pest/rodent control, and I'm looking for a weed guy.
I'll prune my own landscape so its just the way I like it.
I'll paint my own interior walls, and be Mr. Fixit.

I'll do my own car detailing , enjoy doing that.
I don't wrench anymore, too much hassle getting rid of waste oil properly.
I 've been doing my own taxes, and money management / retirement planning as well.

I need to give myself a raise! :)

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Only time I hire someone is when it doesn’t make sense for me to buy the tool needed to do it. Not that I am that cheap, it’s every time I pay for a service, it seems to get fucked up or it’s not done the way I want it. Maybe it’s just ocd.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
My wife is a financial controller for a large Staffing Company and she tells me the sales team can’t place people in jobs fast enough.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
2FF, you are spot on. This will all come to a screaming halt if we ever see another downturn, but it’s ridiculous how lazy people are. By the way, these are the same people that won’t/don’t have a retirement plan. Think how much 30 years of grasscutting, poop cleaning, house cleaning, car cleaning, trash taking out would add up to!,,,,,I’m officially “ old school”