WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

steel building question

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my city planning dept, and they said I can have an "accessory building" (shed) of up to 300 sq. ft.

I need to bring plans for approval/permit...yada yada. Building it outta wood is stupid expensive with the price of lumber right now, and I can get a 25x12" steel garage kit for $2500, then all I need is a slab which I'd need anyway.

They approved a steel building, but said it cannot look like a shipping container/steel building. They offered stuccoing the exterior walls as a solution, or even installing vinyl siding or T111.

Primary objectives are

1: cheap
2: doesn't look like complete shit.

Ideas?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
seems we have a consensus. Thank you.

grumpy88

Reaction score
My friend has a large metal rv garage and the manufacturer told him the building is not engineered for the added weight .

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
In Long Beach...10-15 years ago?...I did the roof on a large metal building. Property owner wanted it less "industrial". We actually anchored sheeting to the metal deck, and shingled it. The inspectors at the time were good with it, so that may be an option as well to help it match your home down the road.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
Several manufacturers offer their product in a "textured" finish. It's still a metal building, but doesn't look half bad. I'll try and find a link.
Scroll down and check out some of the wall finishes.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Just to throw out another viable option that has not been mentioned to cover all bases.......

Adobe mud, hay and cow dung? :looking:
Is the stuff called "Rastra" an option? Weird 12x12x24 lightweight concrete blocks...seen a house out here built with it :oops:

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Whatever you put make sure you contact the metal building manufacturer because once you change the exterior your engineering wont line up. Part of the engineering and sheer value in a metal building is the metal paneling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rye

Reaction score
I’ve applied for a permit for a steel building. Permit is due Wednesday if they don’t find anything else in review. It’s going to have several upgrades; 24 gauge sheet metal, 4 each DBCI 5200 series 12 x 14 roll up bay doors, bypass girts, 5 linear roof vents, 6” insulation all about as well as several walk doors and windows. Can’t wait to get started on it.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my city planning dept, and they said I can have an "accessory building" (shed) of up to 300 sq. ft.

I need to bring plans for approval/permit...yada yada. Building it outta wood is stupid expensive with the price of lumber right now, and I can get a 25x12" steel garage kit for $2500, then all I need is a slab which I'd need anyway.

They approved a steel building, but said it cannot look like a shipping container/steel building. They offered stuccoing the exterior walls as a solution, or even installing vinyl siding or T111.

Primary objectives are

Ideas?
Just do footers and a small stem wall , do floor later ? Make sure your power/ water sleeves are in .oops hopefully you have plans and can do the embeds

Last edited:

wishiknew

Reaction score

Primary objectives are

Ideas?
What city ?

wishiknew

Reaction score
I’ve applied for a permit for a steel building. Permit is due Wednesday if they don’t find anything else in review. It’s going to have several upgrades; 24 gauge sheet metal, 4 each DBCI 5200 series 12 x 14 roll up bay doors, bypass girts, 5 linear roof vents, 6” insulation all about as well as several walk doors and windows. Can’t wait to get started on it.
What mfg did you use ? Find it online or local

Rye

Reaction score
All West buildings (Bakersfield I think), they are a broker for Star buildings (Oklahoma). Margaret the lady that helped me bent over backwards, we probably went through 10 iterations before we got it like I wanted. Every one else wanted to sell me a canned building or was non responsive.

boatpi

Reaction score
FYI, The price of steel is going through the roof we can’t even get certain products now completely unavailable.

Rye

Reaction score
FYI, The price of steel is going through the roof we can’t even get certain products now completely unavailable.
Yes sir! I had to lock in before Mar 1st to avoid a 6% increase. I’m at risk because i didn’t have my permit yet when I sent them the check. I had already gone through a zoning variance and was approved at that step so got my fingers crossed.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Some steel prices have increased 40% since January 1!!
Is this on raw materials, or finished products? I've seen an increase at the retail level with tube and plate products, but not quite 20%...yet.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Is this on raw materials, or finished products? I've seen an increase at the retail level with tube and plate products, but not quite 20%...yet.
Our roof related sheet metals are going up 15% March 15. The roofing shingle manufacturers are forecasting 4 increases this year. (5/7% each time). April ,2021 is our 2nd increase this year...
IMO..they are F.ing the man... it sux!!!
Whose gonna pay??? John Q.

Standing Seam Metals have increased once this year. 7/10%

Its F.ing BS!!!!

That bubble is almost filled...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Our roof related sheet metals are going up 15% March 15. The roofing shingle manufacturers are forecasting 4 increases this year. (5/7% each time). April ,2021 is our 2nd increase this year...
IMO..they are F.ing the man... it sux!!!
Whose gonna pay??? John Q.

Standing Seam Metals have increased once this year. 7/10%

Its F.ing BS!!!!

That bubble is almost filled...
When Obummer was in, and gas hit 5 and change in Cali, I remember the cost per sq on dimensionals got stupid quick. Oddly enough, the dollar per sq on built up and modified seemed to lagged behind. No matter what, it's a perfect storm of fuckery. Lots of blue collar families are going to get hurt.

boatpi

Reaction score
I cannot even purchase an approx. 5.5" x 3/16 steel tube now, no one in the west has it. Just nuts. One distributor of ours said he buys large quantities of 1.25" Galvanized steel tube, price on 1-1-21 was .62 per pound, now $1.42 a pound. Our aluminum have gone up, along with a 200% increase in shipping over this past year, but nothing like steel.

Rye

Reaction score
Received my building permit overnight, email time stamp was 11:35 PM. Strange time, must get sent by some automated service.

rivergames

Reaction score
Don't waste the $$$ with Stuccoing your steel building. Paint it with StucoFlex! My brother and I built a new building in Parker 3 years ago. The POS Politician at the time said no metal finish. We were going to StucoFlex the building, but then that prick got canned. We never did it, but it looks bitchen!

Last edited:

Rye

Reaction score
Don't waste the $$$ with Stuccoing your steel building. Paint it with StucoFlex! My brother and I built a new building in Parker 3 years ago. The POS Politician at the time said no metal finish. We were going to StucoFlex the building, but then that prick got canned. We never did it, but it looks bitchen!

Doubt that would look good on PBR, luckily you outlasted him.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
My most recent quote yesterday was $38,974 for a 34w X 50l X 16t with two 12x14 foot openings and 4 inch insulation. That does not include doors... So Add doors, permit, foundation, concrete and installation. I still don't see this building coming in under 80K. The only way to drive down the cost would be a pier foundation and gravel floor and installing the building myself. My rational guess if I sub contracted everything with a concrete slab is 100K plus or minus 10K...

grumpy88

Reaction score
My most recent quote yesterday was $38,974 for a 34w X 50l X 16t with two 12x14 foot openings and 4 inch insulation. That does not include doors... So Add doors, permit, foundation, concrete and installation. I still don't see this building coming in under 80K. The only way to drive down the cost would be a pier foundation and gravel floor and installing the building myself. My rational guess if I sub contracted everything with a concrete slab is 100K plus or minus 10K...
How would a wood / stucco compare in price now ? I was going to do a 25x 50 but not at those prices !

scottchbrite

Reaction score
How would a wood / stucco compare in price now ? I was going to do a 25x 50 but not at those prices !
I finished my 40x50 in September. It was $53k with foundation, doors, skylights, and roof insulation. The only thing I did was grading and rough in for plumbing and electrical. My price on stick built (3 years ago) was at 80k and I hadn’t priced siding or doors yet.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

$39,000 / 1,700 sf = 23 a foot for material on a metal building. That includes engineering and plans.

Thats all I got.. can't tell you what wood/stucco would cost, but my guess is that if you could get it built at 65 a sf you would roughly be at 80K.

grumpy88

Reaction score
$39,000 / 1,700 sf = 23 a foot for material on a metal building. That includes engineering and plans.

Thats all I got.. can't tell you what wood/stucco would cost, but my guess is that if you could get it built at 65 a sf you would roughly be at 80K.
So steel is still the cheapest by far . This stuff is getting out of control . Thanks

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I finished my 40x50 in September. It was $53k with foundation, doors, skylights, and roof insulation. The only thing I did was grading and rough in for plumbing and electrical. My price on stick built (3 years ago) was at 80k and I hadn’t priced siding or doors yet.

The hardest part of these types of cost comparisons are apples to oranges stuff... My building needs a 16 foot high side wall to get my RV/Boat in there. The boat on the trailer is 13.5 feet tall. Also, I have to pay the BFE premium because I am out in the boonies a little bit... But if you take your 53K and minus my metal building quote of 39K. That only gives me a budget of 14K for foundation and installation. That's not going to cover it.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
So steel is still the cheapest by far . This stuff is getting out of control . Thanks

Material really isn't the problem... Its labor/trades/overhead... and even if we subtract 40% for material, the labor/trades/overhead isn't going down. The nominal differences in material costs going up only matter if you are DIY and doing all the labor.

Rye

Reaction score
I haven’t added mine up on paper but I’m expecting it to be in the $120,000 area based on rough quotes I’ve discussed. It’s going to be 3700 SF so about $33/SF. It has a lot of upgrades though. Got my building permit yesterday and also got colors approved yesterday.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I haven’t added mine up on paper but I’m expecting it to be in the $120,000 area based on rough quotes I’ve discussed. It’s going to be 3700 SF so about $33/SF. It has a lot of upgrades though. Got my building permit yesterday and also got colors approved yesterday.

You never published your metal building cost if I am not mistaken... so its hard to compare your ground up all in cost....

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
And also.. If I pull the trigger this week on the metal building I have an estimated delivery date of August of this year.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
The hardest part of these types of cost comparisons are apples to oranges stuff... My building needs a 16 foot high side wall to get my RV/Boat in there. The boat on the trailer is 13.5 feet tall. Also, I have to pay the BFE premium because I am out in the boonies a little bit... But if you take your 53K and minus my metal building quote of 39K. That only gives me a budget of 14K for foundation and installation. That's not going to cover it.
Mines 14’ and the foundation was 11k +/-. Not sure where you’re at, but the company i used did it all. They build their own building, engineering, concrete, erecting etc My building alone was about 34k. Just trying to give some reference
2DBC20AD-0484-4639-AC0F-4767BDE3B95A.jpeg

Reactions: Rye

Rye

Reaction score
I used Pasquini Engineering for foundation design, they can stamp in AZ and CA. It was about $1800 but they do a lot of these so it should pass first time.

Rye

Reaction score
Also no electric in my $120K estimate, I’ll do that later.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Mines 14’ and the foundation was 11k +/-. Not sure where you’re at, but the company i used did it all. They build their own building, engineering, concrete, erecting etc My building alone was about 34k. Just trying to give some reference

My Radar arch would tear out the top foot over the doors!... But regardless... I am located in the Lake Powell area of Page AZ and its really hard to get much done up here. Its about 210-220 a yard for concrete from the only readymix plant in the area and 9-11 a foot for foundation work, so there is a premium to be paid. But then again it is the 8th wonder of the world and THE best boating on the planet..

Rye

Reaction score
Rhino Buildings website has a feature that you can insert your building parameters into and it will give you 3D views of your building and it’s free.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
$65K materials only including DCBI doors.

Material cost times two is not a bad way to guessimate and you are right there at 120K... In line with what I hope to end up at.

Reactions: Rye

Rye

Reaction score
My Radar arch would tear out the top foot over the doors!... But regardless... I am located in the Lake Powell area of Page AZ and its really hard to get much done up here. Its about 210-220 a yard for concrete from the only readymix plant in the area and 9-11 a foot for foundation work, so there is a premium to be paid. But then again it is the 8th wonder of the world and THE best boating on the planet..
Western Rock? 220/CY is high but what are you going to do. Always hit Dam Bar when I’m in Page.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
A friend of mine is actually an engineer who designs and builds metal buildings. They do everything from large to small. They are not into the predesigned kits, everything is semi to full custom. His prices are generally quite competitive and you get what you actually want, not what the company builds that is close. The company works western US.

If anyone is interested, I can pass along his info.

Rye

Reaction score
A friend of mine is actually an engineer who designs and builds metal buildings. They do everything from large to small. They are not into the predesigned kits, everything is semi to full custom. His prices are generally quite competitive and you get what you actually want, not what the company builds that is close. The company works western US.

Good info, most of the ones I talked to wanted to sell you what they wanted you to have. I would rather have done turn key than GC.

Rye

Reaction score

I’m likely at the point he wouldn’t want to take on mine but would you provide me with his contact info please?