WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Steering For My 1996 Pro Max 225

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Snapped steering cable in Havasu last time out. Luckily it was the end of the day and one cable was still good, so we limped back to marina from Standard Wash.

Question..........do I go to hydraulic steering or stick with cables? What are the advantages/disadvantages for both options??

Thanks

Joe

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I do not regret putting hydraulic in my boat. Added setback and either needed new cables, or hydraulic. It was worth the money. Much smoother (old cables granted) overall feel.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
What boat is the 225 on?

1986 21.5 Eliminator Sport Cruiser

20140622_112841.jpg

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Snapped a cable? Is that dual same side or dual opposed steering you have now? I've heard the cables are hard to come by, but if you can get a replacement, I'd probably just do that.

Personally, I'm switching from dual opposed which is froze up, to hydraulic, but the nut is about $1000. Replacing one cable should be a BUNCH cheaper.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Snapped a cable? Is that dual same side or dual opposed steering you have now? I've heard the cables are hard to come by, but if you can get a replacement, I'd probably just do that.

Personally, I'm switching from dual opposed which is froze up, to hydraulic, but the nut is about $1000. Replacing one cable should be a BUNCH cheaper.

I got dual same side right now, they are both toast and need to be replaced. I get really bad "torque steer" when at speed so hoping that hydraulic would help that??

With installation it is looking like the hydraulic is going to run about $1500 - $1700.

hallett21

Reaction score
I got dual same side right now, they are both toast and need to be replaced. I get really bad "torque steer" when at speed so hoping that hydraulic would help that??

With installation it is looking like the hydraulic is going to run about $1500 - $1700.

21 hallett vector, 250 optimax, sea star steering, can stomp the throttle wheel won't turn and boat keeps tracking straight. Where is boat located?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
21 hallett vector, 250 optimax, sea star steering, can stomp the throttle wheel won't turn and boat keeps tracking straight. Where is boat located?

Boat is in Temecula, CA. This is the first of a few projects on it this winter, trying to stay in budget!!

STV_Keith

Reaction score
The hydraulic will definitely help with the torque steer issue. While there is no torque on the wheel while not turning, you do feel some extra effort when turning against the torque. Maybe try the guys at WOT Marine in Carlsbad. I know Kyle is on this board and they are a board sponsor. He and Jim (his dad) run the joint and do a lot of ski racing.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
The hydraulic will definitely help with the torque steer issue. While there is no torque on the wheel while not turning, you do feel some extra effort when turning against the torque. Maybe try the guys at WOT Marine in Carlsbad. I know Kyle is on this board and they are a board sponsor. He and Jim (his dad) run the joint and do a lot of ski racing.

Thank you for the information. I have always wanted to check out WOT Marine, have heard good things. I have decided to let Dustin at Menace Marine in Valencia do the steering. Price, installed, for Seastar Pro kit will be $1,700.00. It goes there a week before Christmas.