WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Steering pin leak bravo 1

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Anybody use the JR machine steering pin kit, my bravo is starting to leak and im curious as if the kit works or do i need to do the factory replacement an pull the motor

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I've done more than 2 dozen using them. They are far better than the merc kit. I recommend ditching the steel pin and switching to the stainless pin while you're in there.

Check out my build in the restoration forums, "Saved From a Trip to the Scrap Yard." I've got a good handful of pictures from doing one on my Ultra.

H2O

Reaction score
Yes, I used the JR Marine Gimbal repair method (w/ custom stainless steel pivot pin and U-Bolt) and Rob weld repaired my gimbal ring for $295 plus shipping, vs buying a new gimble ring for $1000 ish. I also rented his custom made wrenches for the job, which you will want to do.

Ron was great, provided outstanding customer support, and his products were excellent. The only thing I noticed is the tolerance of his SS pivot pin was a tight fit, but there was absolutely no slack once it was assembled. I think the end result is superior to the original Merc parts (U-Bolt less likely to stretch and allow the gamble to wear) Ron states no one has reported failure yet with one of his repairs.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on my next boat. It turns an expensive shop repair into a reasonable DIY, if you are good with a wrench.

Final note: if you need a new transom assembly, you will be pulling the motor.

FWIW - Mercury also has a gimbal replacement method that allows you to avoid pulling the motor.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Perfect, thanks for the feed back. My gimbal is tight so I figure all I will need is a pin kit and stainless over steel seems like a much better plan

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk