WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Still rollin rhinos anyone?

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Looking at a 08 fuel injected 4 seater.. Looks clean.. But has a shitload of miles. 5669! Those of you with knowledge of these things.. What do ya think? Grenade ready to blow ? They say it runs great..but they all usually say that..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Looking at a 08 fuel injected 4 seater.. Looks clean.. But has a shitload of miles. 5669! Those of you with knowledge of these things.. What do ya think? Grenade ready to blow ? They say it runs great..but they all usually say that..

Being that a lot of these are driven on the street around here the mileage can get crazy.. I think I have 3000 on my Ranger already.. LOL But I drive the thing like it's a commuter car.

RD

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Being that a lot of these are driven on the street around here the mileage can get crazy.. I think I have 3000 on my Ranger already.. LOL But I drive the thing like it's a commuter car.

RD
I would too! Miles are real high.. Amd the hours are like 340.. I just somethin to roll around my parker pad and go shooting. A rhino fits my budget right now.. And its fuel injected.. But those miles.. ? Idk.. But wtf do i know..?! Lol:D

Bigmutha

Reaction score
I had an 08 Rhino and loved it, no problems at all. Rhinos are great for putting around, they climb well and are bullet proof, they are a different machine than a RZR, Can Am etc. but you can still have lot's of fun in one.

1cole280S

Reaction score
Not sure what you’re looking for, DLC here on the the boards also has one for sale. It’s always nice to have options.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I've only got 1,300 miles on mine but its a blast.

Attachments

• Rhino.jpg
    Rhino.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 358

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I had an 08 Rhino and loved it, no problems at all. Rhinos are great for putting around, they climb well and are bullet proof, they are a different machine than a RZR, Can Am etc. but you can still have lot's of fun in one.
Yeah not looking to.race the thing.. Just putt around the hills .

Faceaz

Reaction score
Yeah not looking to.race the thing.. Just putt around the hills .

That's where it starts.. lol. Just put ours up for sale, upgraded to a xp4. Sounds like it's not what you're after (carbed 660). Only 985 miles though, thing has been bulletproof.
IMG_20180813_095605.jpg

Last edited:

wallnutz

Reaction score
I got close to 9500 miles on my original '06 carbed, pretty much been hassle free. Burns a little oil now, but starts every time.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I got close to 9500 miles on my original '06 carbed, pretty much been hassle free. Burns a little oil now, but starts every time.
No way! So 5000+ miles might not be so bad then.... How often do you change the oil?

wallnutz

Reaction score
No way! So 5000+ miles might not be so bad then.... How often do you change the oil?
Honestly, not that many times. Only changed the belt twice too. Biggest thing with them is keep fuel filter clean and adjust the valves.

wishiknew

Reaction score
I have a 2007 700 turbo that overheats every time I go off road flat land no overheat $5500 as is

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
This thread is giving me hope lol
9k on a carb'd 660 is amazing....I have a ways to go with mine
IMG_20180816_220455.jpeg
IMG_20180305_154726.jpeg

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Faceaz

Reaction score
What have u done to it? Suspension ,etc. Happen to have anymore pics?

Mechanical & Suspension is stock.

I just put it up this week:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/d/yamaha-rhino-4-seater-great/6669887957.html

6k is my bottom... Only thing about it (carb related and apparently common), if it's sitting more than a couple weeks it can take allot or cranking or a shot of carb cleaner to get it going. I've heard of people putting a primer bulb inline to get rid of it.

Last edited:

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/d/yamaha-rhino-4-seater-great/6669887957.html

6k is my bottom... Only thing about it (carb related and apparently common), if it's sitting more than a couple weeks it can take allot or cranking or a shot of carb cleaner to get it going. I've heard of people putting a primer bulb inline to get rid of it.
My neighbors old rhino sits for months.A shot of starter fluid and always runs.Not a big deal.

gqchris

Reaction score

Mine used to do that also. Replaced the carb for cheap and never had a problem after.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
06 Carb’d 660, ~4400 miles, nearly zero problems. Replaced one fuel pump and rebuilt the clutches. That’s it.

1cole280S

Reaction score
Just incase any of you selling a rhino to upgrade to a RZR XP 4 I have one for sale here on the boards. if your interested give me a call.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

What oil do you run?

Mine burned oil until I started to run 15w-40 synthetic HDEO in it (Rotela or Delo).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wallnutz

Reaction score
What oil do you run?

Mine burned oil until I started to run 15w-40 synthetic HDEO in it (Rotela or Delo).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yamalube for the first couple at least, then just regular valvoline dino.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I’m still rocking my 08. 700. (Well the kids are) . Don’t think I will ever sell it.

IMG_1097.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I had two of them, rock solid first one had 4000 miles when I sold it. Second one had 6300 miles when I sold it. Both never had a problem. Stock internals and regular oil changes and maintanence

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Some sweet rides in here and at $6K that one looks like a steal.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I had two of them, rock solid first one had 4000 miles when I sold it. Second one had 6300 miles when I sold it. Both never had a problem. Stock internals and regular oil changes and maintanence
Oh wow.. U got some good miles out of them. So when you see the ones bored out with engine work.. Those ones typically have issues right?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Oh wow.. U got some good miles out of them. So when you see the ones bored out with engine work.. Those ones typically have issues right?
Not always but usually the work wasn’t done right so the lifespan was shortened. Anything over 686 on pump gas just didn’t live super long. These motors are fairly high compression from stock. The biggest thing is who drove it and was it maintained

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
30251062-5645-46F5-916F-075876E8FA56.jpeg

You should be able to find something in good shape in the $5-$7K range depending on what is done to it, mileage, etc.

I love mine so far. It is perfect for what we use it for. I bought it in Feb, it had 3200 miles, has about 3600 now. It is an 07 660. The carbed ones are fine, just put a primer bulb in the fuel line to the carb and it will start in a couple seconds after a few pumps on the bulb no matter how long it has been sitting.

My advice is buy the one with the stuff you want already on it if the machine is not beat on, and in good shape, youll save a ton of money that way.

Just check to see if anything looks bent (front spindles and tie rods specifically) and check the wheels to see if there is play. if there is, it will need ball joints and or wheel bearings if the play is up front, and hub bushings and or wheel bearings if the play is in the rear.

Also if it is stock it should do about 36-38 MPH. You may run across one that wont reach that speed, and/or the RPM is screaming high or on the limiter before 30 MPH. That means the sheaves need to be serviced. Easy job, but may allow you to get it for cheaper. Throw a machined sheave in it while you are in there if it does not have it already.

The carbed ones with reasonable tires, an intake, a machined sheave, a CDI box, and a carb rejet they will do 45-50 on the street at a reasonable RPM, perfect to cruise around town on the street.

FaceAz's looks nice, the only thing I would suggest is get a roof or canvas top on it.

This one in Havasu looks pretty good too.

https://mohave.craigslist.org/snw/d/2006-yamaha-rhino/6658515580.html

Last edited:

Faceaz

Reaction score
View attachment 674470

You should be able to find something in good shape in the $5-$7K range depending on what is done to it, mileage, etc.

I love mine so far. It is perfect for what we use it for. I bought it in Feb, it had 3200 miles, has about 3600 now. It is an 07 660. The carbed ones are fine, just put a primer bulb in the fuel line to the carb and it will start in a couple seconds after a few pumps on the bulb no matter how long it has been sitting.

My advice is buy the one with the stuff you want already on it if the machine is not beat on, and in good shape, youll save a ton of money that way.

Just check to see if anything looks bent (front spindles and tie rods specifically) and check the wheels to see if there is play. if there is, it will need ball joints and or wheel bearings if the play is up front, and hub bushings and or wheel bearings if the play is in the rear.

Also if it is stock it should do about 36-38 MPH. You may run across one that wont reach that speed, and/or the RPM is screaming high or on the limiter before 30 MPH. That means the sheaves need to be serviced. Easy job, but may allow you to get it for cheaper. Throw a machined sheave in it while you are in there if it does not have it already.

The carbed ones with reasonable tires, an intake, a machined sheave, a CDI box, and a carb rejet they will do 45-50 on the street at a reasonable RPM, perfect to cruise around town on the street.

FaceAz's looks nice, the only thing I would suggest is get a roof or canvas top on it.

I got a box of misc. stuff when I bought ours - i noticed there's a cdi in there. Its probably been switched out. Ours will run 52-55mph, at 56 downhill I can hear the rev limiter kick in.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I got a box of misc. stuff when I bought ours - i noticed there's a cdi in there. Its probably been switched out. Ours will run 52-55mph, at 56 downhill I can hear the rev limiter kick in.

I have had mine to like 52 or so, but have not hit the rev limiter since putting in the machined sheave. Sounds like yours has a machined sheave in it too. Both are a must if you want to drive it on the streets.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Same here. I run rotella/delo/premium blue, no oil useage.

Same for me too. Rotella 15W40.

Pro Tip - Get the Fram or Yamaha filters. The Purolator that "everyone" says to use online is not deep enough and didn't tighten all the way, resulting in an oil leak. They must have changed the filter in the last few years.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
View attachment 674470

Good info! Thanks. Lookin for somethin like yours. Just a cruiser. Does yours have stock arms on it? Long travel looks bad ass and im sure it handles the woops awesome.. Is long travel a night/day difference? ..for the average user not racing it all crazy?

rivergames

Reaction score
I have a blast with my 08' Rhino that I picked up off another RDP'r

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Roughly how much does it run to rebuild a engine?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Good info! Thanks. Lookin for somethin like yours. Just a cruiser. Does yours have stock arms on it? Long travel looks bad ass and im sure it handles the woops awesome.. Is long travel a night/day difference? ..for the average user not racing it all crazy?

Mine is stock arms, but has the double adjustable shocks because it is the "Sport Edition". That is different than the "Special Edition" that still has regular shocks. Long travel or mid travel is a night and day difference, but not for cruising or driving off road with small kids. If you are going to go out in the desert and really used it hard, you'll see a benefit from a mid or long travel kit. If you are going to do more trail riding at less than full throttle all the time, you are probably fine with stock style suspension. My family hasn't complained about the ride of ours at all.

If that is what you want however, buy one with the long travel kit on it already. Don't buy one and put long travel on it, you will be into it another few grand.

Getting one with upgraded shocks will yield a better ride however. That green one I linked has Elka shocks on it which are a nice upgrade.

Mine has a 3 inch spacer in the back, and a 2 inch spacer in the front. So it is a little wider and has a little more stability than stock.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Roughly how much does it run to rebuild a engine?

If it is completely blown up, a lot. If you just wore it out and are replacing the top end and boring it out to a 686, the parts are like $325 or so.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Mine is stock arms, but has the double adjustable shocks because it is the "Sport Edition". That is different than the "Special Edition" that still has regular shocks. Long travel or mid travel is a night and day difference, but not for cruising or driving off road with small kids. If you are going to go out in the desert and really used it hard, you'll see a benefit from a mid or long travel kit. If you are going to do more trail riding at less than full throttle all the time, you are probably fine with stock style suspension. My family hasn't complained about the ride of ours at all.

If that is what you want however, buy one with the long travel kit on it already. Don't buy one and put long travel on it, you will be into it another few grand.

Getting one with upgraded shocks will yield a better ride however. That green one I linked has Elka shocks on it which are a nice upgrade.

I would probably make the argument that if woop bashing and high speed riding is what you are looking for, you are better off spending a little extra coin on a RZR

Rondog4405

Reaction score

Mine has a 3 inch spacer in the back, and a 2 inch spacer in the front. So it is a little wider and has a little more stability than stock.
Yeah i dont think ill need a long travel setup as Ill have the kids in the back most of the time. Other than yamaha in parker.. Is there any decent shops in the area that work on these.. Just for future reference

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
My last rhino was long travel and it did great in the whoops and higher speed rough terrain. At the end of th day it’s still a rhino with 30-45 hp. The 110 hp rzr is night and day difference and cannot be compared. I mostly rode in havasu and the terrain limits the speed mostly. The rzr pulls away in some of the high speed washes which is ok due to the dust factor. A stock travel rhino will get you there just as smooth as a long travel just not as fast.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Yeah i dont think ill need a long travel setup as Ill have the kids in the back most of the time. Other than yamaha in parker.. Is there any decent shops in the area that work on these.. Just for future reference
John at just money does. He is in havasu

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone's pretty spot on so far. Nothing rings more true than buying something that already has everything you want. I picked mine up for 6k and I'm glad I went the route I did with the long travel and all. Those kits are still going for 5-6k after everything is said and done. It's not necessary but I'll tell you whut, it's nice to have on those rare joyrides you get when the kids are asleep and you're able to hit the trails without a care in the world lol

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk