WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stolen catalytic converters.

4Waters

Reaction score
I know Superduties and Excursions are on the hit lists but what about F150's, anyone hear anything about them? I'm looking to get into something newer but I don't want to deal with that if I don't need to, I'll just stay with diesel.

4Waters

Reaction score
Anything and everything is on that hit list!

If you can get under it easily, it's on the list.
My buddy that works claims at Mercury said Toyota's the most and Superduties/Excursions but that's it, but I figured I'd throw it out here since that's only 1 insurance company. Doesn't GM still use the pellets?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
What ? Do they sawsal them out ?

FishSniper

Reaction score
My buddy that works claims at Mercury said Toyota's the most and Superduties/Excursions but that's it, but I figured I'd throw it out here since that's only 1 insurance company. Doesn't GM still use the pellets?
Toyota Tacoma’s and Sequoias are high on the list.

Backlash

Reaction score
Yes they are cutting them out in a very crude manner. In and out in less than a minute if they are proficient with a sawzall. Seeing work done mostly on Hondas and Toyotas right now in the L.A. area. As stated, if you can fit underneath, it's fair game. 🤬

MeCasa16

Reaction score
When I lived in Chicago my Jeep Grand Cherokee had its cat sawed off. That’s another vehicle with easy access.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hypnautic

Reaction score
The Sequoias have two. I only know cause I replaced them on my old rig. Expensive too!

Flatsix66

Reaction score
My buddy had his stolen from his Forerunner right in front of our workplace in the middle of the day. He got in after work and...straight pipe exhaust! 14mm Impact and wrench on both flanges, pull it out...gone.

floatn turd

Reaction score
A guy down the street said his was cut out last week. It was boosted right from the house.

BingerFang

Reaction score
My buddy has taken from his driveway. 2005 F250 Gasser

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...So mine would not be stolen on my 97 Ram diesel (old enough for no smog inspection)...I had it taken out and it is now hidden in my garage...

Backlash

Reaction score
Kinda like my 96 with nothing more than a straight pipe off the back of the turbo! 😁

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The guy I bought my last Dodge from had kept it around as a spare. He hauled rv's for a living, DOT CA numbers, the whole deal. The week after I picked up my truck from him, he was at home...and they jacked his DPF/cat assembly. For him to be "legal", it all had to be replaced. Was something like 3800$ in 2013!

Screw that, old cars and trucks...and counties with no smog ;)

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
The guy I bought my last Dodge from had kept it around as a spare. He hauled rv's for a living, DOT CA numbers, the whole deal. The week after I picked up my truck from him, he was at home...and they jacked his DPF/cat assembly. For him to be "legal", it all had to be replaced. Was something like 3800$ in 2013!

Screw that, old cars and trucks...and counties with no smog ;)
...I have a ‘79 Blazer that is registered in a Nor Cal...clear county... Had to smog it when I first registered it there... but I haven’t had to smog it since...in 20 years...

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
And Tundras. There are a few companies that make skid plates to cover the area where the converters in an attempt to keep them from being stolen.

Toyota Tacoma’s and Sequoias are high on the list.

Nordie

Reaction score
The lockup yard on the jobsite got hit over the Christmas holiday. 1 dodge 2500 gas, 2 f250 diesels, and 2 f150s. My company keeps one truck in there, but it wasn't hit.

LAKEMAN

Reaction score
Our yard got hit. Took 15 from different makes and models. That was not a good morning.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Courtesy of Elk Grove Police Department

What's the one thing you would expect car burglars to steal when they break into your car? The car stereo, a cell phone, or that loose change you keep in the ashtray? All of these things may be, but would you think they would steal your catalytic converter?

Catalytic converter thefts are taking place because the converters contain several types of recyclable materials that can be easily “scrapped” for a quick profit. Thefts of catalytic converters increase each time the cost of scrap metal, particularly platinum, increases. The City of Elk Grove and other areas of Sacramento County have seen an increase in the number of reported catalytic converter thefts.

Your vehicle's catalytic converter is a device used to reduce the toxicity of emissions from an internal combustion engine. Catalytic converters have been required by law on every motor vehicle operated in the United States since 1975. It is attached to your exhaust system and is located underneath your car. Catalytic converters contain expensive precious metals like platinum, palladium and rhodium.

Catalytic converter thieves generally target high profile vehicles like trucks or SUV’s because the higher ground clearance allows for easier access underneath the vehicle. However, sports cars and sedans are not immune to converter theft. Currently we are seeing Toyotas being targeted, specifically the Prius.

So what can you do to protect your vehicle? Below are five prevention tips that can reduce your risk.

• Park in areas where your vehicle will most easily be seen by passers-by. For example, park under lights after dark or near windows at a business. Park near security cameras, if possible.
  • Park defensively. Park high profile vehicles so they are surrounded by low ground clearance vehicles. This may deter thieves by making it harder for them to access the most vulnerable targets.
  • If your catalytic converter is a “bolt on” model, you can have the bolts welded shut and have extra metal welded to the exhaust system.
  • Install a catalytic converter protection device that will clamp around the converter.
  • Etch your converter with your vehicle’s license plate number in several different locations. This will help police track your property if it is stolen. If your converter is stolen, file a police report immediately after the theft is discovered.

Backlash

Reaction score
Tweaker thieves looking for a way to pay for their next fix. Yes, they are taking these valuable parts and getting pennies on the dollar for them. The recycling centers arent going to complain or dime anyone out because they too are making a killing. The cat and muffler repair shops are making out because they have a steady flow of customers who need new cats welded back on. The people who are victimized are really the only ones suffering. For everyone else, it's a win-win. Need to put a stranglehold on the recycling centers and choke this problem at the source.

4Waters

Reaction score
Tweaker thieves looking for a way to pay for their next fix. Yes, they are taking these valuable parts and getting pennies on the dollar for them. The recycling centers arent going to complain or dime anyone out because they too are making a killing. The cat and muffler repair shops are making out because they have a steady flow of customers who need new cats welded back on. The people who are victimized are really the only ones suffering. For everyone else, it's a win-win. Need to put a stranglehold on the recycling centers and choke this problem at the source.
So what you are saying is to choke the tweeker out? LOL

jones performance

Reaction score
california especially created a black market for used cats. you cant put a universal cat on to replace a bad one, it has to have the calif eo numbers on it to pass. the only difference is the number stamped on the outside and they are typically 100 bucks and most cases much much more costly than the 49 state cats. so people cut em off others rides and sell them to shops, do it yourselfers etc. they are worth more as a replacement part than they are to recycle basically.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Found this on Facebook Market place in Havasu. Is he buying the Cats from the people taking them?
5B75A7FF-BA82-4F25-B16A-3757AE9A7B54.png
5B75A7FF-BA82-4F25-B16A-3757AE9A7B54.png
6CEB0B53-F265-4C35-B563-981785FC6BFD.png

Attachments

• 1E7BF778-1B37-4E24-AAA5-B3553809E2AE.png
    1E7BF778-1B37-4E24-AAA5-B3553809E2AE.png
    304.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited: