WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stored motor

Nielmcque

Reaction score
If you were going to buy an EFI motor that had been stored for a while what would you do before taking it out and running it besides having the injectors cleaned and changing the water pump?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
If you were going to buy an EFI motor that had been stored for a while what would you do before taking it out and running it besides having the injectors cleaned and changing the water pump?

Shoot some marvel mistery oil in each cylinder, or any motor oil for that matter, and crank it through manually a few times before firing it just to get some oil back up in to the rings. I would have the seller provide leak down numbers, those are the true indicator of the engines past and future. Compression numbers are ok to have but leak down is the best bet.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
How long has it been stored and where? on its side or on a stand? salt water motor or fresh? any effort by the seller to treat it for storage? any fuel left in the system? and was the fuel treated at time of storage?
assume we're talking about a 2-stroke right? if so, before you introduce oil to the cylinders, get a look inside for signs rust accumulation on cylinder walls and use 2-stroke oil to lubricate before start up. a full service, lubes, spark plugs, complete water pump, "not just the impeller" like you mentioned

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Agreed with all said........For sure the leak down tells the whole story compared to a compression test. Additionally, how is the general appearance, paint in good shape, any signs of corrosion, wiring not messed with, etc.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Also, another good idea is to get the serial numbers off the block and check them against the Merc websites to make sure it is what the seller says it is. Old engines tend to become a hodge podge of parts over the years, you cant always trust what is on the cowl decals or what the seller has to say about it.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
After replacing 260 with Pro max.....Just take your time and you will find the right motor!
aired out.JPG

Attachments

• 100_1056.JPG
    100_1056.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 204
  • aired out.JPG
    aired out.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_1056.JPG
    100_1056.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 191

Nielmcque

Reaction score
Thanks guys I was looking into buying a fairly low hour 225 promax. A guy in San Diego has them listed for sale on here. Looks like they are on engine stands in a garage. They look pretty clean. I talked to the guy once. He wants to sell the counter rotating one first though. Might try to buy it with out the lower.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
San Diego? Carful on the salt water..maybe just used at the river? ..just saying.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Thanks....Sold a couple years ago to a guy in Phoenix and still has it....thinking of buying it back if my tax bill isn’t too much.....had 3 boats at the time but have more garage now in Havasu. Miss that boat!!!!

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Thanks....Sold a couple years ago to a guy in Phoenix and still has it....thinking of buying it back if my tax bill isn’t too much.....had 3 boats at the time but have more garage now in Havasu. Miss that boat!!!!

Sleek's always had great lines, Necsher was way ahead of his time, the 20 SST model came out in 1980 I believe. That mold would still sell today. all that boat needs to really rip are center pod mods. mine is a 1985, whats yours?

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more.....The SST has to be the best looking 20 foot non pickle fork ever made. Bruce introduced the Aristocrat in 1976 I believe, which became the SST with deck changes. The bottom remained basically the same available in V and center pod tunnel. The center pod tunnel was indeed ahead of the curve. I campaigned a Taylor tunnel I built for a few races in 1977 (see pic) which was a splash of the Aristocrat with deck mods. This boat was the first center pod tunnel to campaign before the APBA Mod VP class was instituted and definitely way ahead of it's time (Fred Bowden ran a Taylor tunnel at this time also).

There were very few to no outboards with tandem trailers, 6 colors of candy paint, Kevlar light lay up, Imco polished SS fuel tank, center steer with extended steering post, trim on the wheel, etc. The goal at the time was to have an outboard that could park next to a V-drive with some respect. In that vain, I would go to Parker for the weekend and smoke jet boats all day long to which no one understood, remember at that time it would be the only V-6 outboard tunnel on the river and it takes a lot of jet boat to be running in the 80 mph range!

Interestingly, in 1977 the APBA class was called V Pleasure but were able to run a center pod tunnel since the rules stated the center line of the bottom had to be the lowest point of the hull. Within a year V Pleasure went away replaced with the now famous APBA Mod VP class.

Sorry to steal the thread and have probably told this story too many times. Just a piece of outboard history few people know.
77taylor1.jpg

Last edited:

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Sleek's always had great lines, Necsher was way ahead of his time, the 20 SST model came out in 1980 I believe. That mold would still sell today. all that boat needs to really rip are center pod mods. mine is a 1985, whats yours?

In the late 70's I had a 16' Necsher Newport (Horrible name) with a Merc 150. Saw allot of sky in that boat... It was green metal flake with black trim and was known as the green-weenie. That was my "hot boat" before the Baker RST...big upgrade and much safer!