WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stories of your old hang...

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Sir Bob's late night food thread brought back some memories.
Our nothing going on, hangout used to be a Jack in The box next to a Mobil station in Granada hills.
It was our internet/ Facebook Hangout BITD. Pull in, wait around , somebody would drive by, then somebody else, next thing you know we had a party or a mission.
Bob worked next door at the Mobile station. He Usually closed when he worked. Drove a bitchin 69 roadrunner four speed, slammed with the fattest tires you can run, in a day of hijackers and side pipes. Look like it was ready to do a lap at Daytona.
Ownner of the Mobil station had a Chevelle stock car / 396. Big track Riverside type car.
We're just hanging out, next thing we hear all this racket. We see that stock car come flying out of the Mobile station, onto the street, then swings into the jib and goes to the drive-through. Get some stuff, back out into the street into the Mobile station and into the bay and slams the door.
We lost it!!!
Where did used to hang out?

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I worked most nights at a sports bar, my buddies wold come down there for free food and drinks. I would hang out there on my days off, if a regular customer was there and wanted to drink somewhere else I would tag along.

"Flames" was good for friday nights, "Cruisers car wash" before that. Im just barely young enough to remember Bobs and Kevins Burgers 👍👍

nameisbond

Reaction score
We had fake id's at 17, hung out at a dingy strip club in downtown Vancouver. Across the street, pre-internet all the hookers worked the strip. On a weekend there would be at least 50 girls working the stroll. On the corner was a 24hr. diner. When the strip club closed at 2am, we hung out with the hookers in the diner. The girls would take their breaks there. Around the corner was a 24hr. pizza place, we'd sometimes go there. But it was more fun to hang around the hookers and strippers. Most of the strippers after the club closed, worked the strip.

The strip club is still there, it opened as a whorehouse in the 1940's. Same family owns it. The area is now mostly multi million condos and townhomes, so the hookers are long gone. The diner is gone too.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Growing up in Brea [Class of 1989], not too many hangouts. My house had the pool table and my parents were chill with the group of friends always being around. That was our 'social media'.

Across the street, a new bar opened... The Shady Nook. Never had a problem getting served.

College years... pretty much all the bars in and around Fullerton. Good times...

brgrcru

Reaction score
la tuna canyon = beer drinking and smoking pot, Angeles crest hwy= taking dads Porsche for a trip through the canyons, van nuys = looking for good trouble , in-out Tujunga = hungry, munchies, Big T canyon = running 4x4's when you could play in there.
Wentworth or nearby = for a race or three. with a white or blue Camaro and a blue Chevelle.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Growing up in Brea [Class of 1989], not too many hangouts. My house had the pool table and my parents were chill with the group of friends always being around. That was our 'social media'.

Across the street, a new bar opened... The Shady Nook. Never had a problem getting served.

College years... pretty much all the bars in and around Fullerton. Good times...

I drive by The Shady Nook everyday coming home from work. Kraemer and Birch. Stopped in a few times. 🍻

4Waters

Reaction score
Kevin's Burger's Desoto X Roscoe

Canoga X Lassen
Mason X Nordoff
Coldwater X Saticoy
Glenoaks X Peoria
Del Norte
Edison Rd
Tried to stay ahead of the cops.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Sages Parking lot Baseline and "E". San Bernardino.

Nudie Bars were still legal, we had about Four.;)

Swing Auditorium and the quarter mile race track National Orange show grounds.

A few years later I.M.S. Speedway on Arrowhead.

termiteguy

Reaction score
In high school and a year or so after it was a 7-11 a friends parents owned if you couldn't find anyone just pull up and park people would be by soon. The cops would try and harass us the owner would come and tell the cops to leave good times growing up in the 80's del amo Blvd and Norwalk Blvd the 7-11 is still there

Advantage 1

Reaction score
I drive by The Shady Nook everyday coming home from work. Kraemer and Birch. Stopped in a few times. 🍻

Lived in the homes directly across the street... "Country Hills". Actually went to Brea last weekend to checkout spots for the girlfriend's 30 year high school reunion... cannot believe how much Brea has grown the past years... wow!!

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
Used to cruise the Orange Mall in the late 70's early 80's. Then head to Camelot (91 and Kramer) for some street racing. Then when we were old enough to drink, it was Casey's in Orange (Tustin and Katella). Good times.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Used to cruise the Orange Mall in the late 70's early 80's. Then head to Camelot (91 and Kramer) for some street racing. Then when we were old enough to drink, it was Casey's in Orange (Tustin and Katella). Good times.

Lived in Orange from 1993 - 2002. Casey's [and Panchos] were always good. Got into a fight with the girlfriend at Casey's and when my back was turned, she threw a dart at me :oops: Still have the mark on my calf...

PlanB

Reaction score
Valley Parkway in Escondido in the 80's, and racing later in the night on Center City before there was much out there. We would also hit up 2nd Street in El Cajon once in a while as well as road trips to downtown Phoenix.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Growing up on the mountain, there really wasn't a real "go to" spot to hang out. So mostly we would party an drink in the backwoods of Arrowhead and Running Springs. Many times we would venture down to the valley in a group where it was guaranteed that shenanigans were going to be a big part of the night.

nameisbond

Reaction score
In high school and a year or so after it was a 7-11 a friends parents owned if you couldn't find anyone just pull up and park people would be by soon. The cops would try and harass us the owner would come and tell the cops to leave good times growing up in the 80's del amo Blvd and Norwalk Blvd the 7-11 is still there

It was similar here back in the 1980's. Our 7-Eleven had a big bank of pay phones. Girls always on the phone there. You could always find a party by pulling into 7-Eleven and talking with the girls waiting for a payphone.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Monterey on Franklin Street and Cannery Row.

Used to get pretty wild at times. Lots of GIs there from the base. Always some kind of shit happening.

Different time for sure

79howard

Reaction score
Grew up in Hacienda Heights. Usually someone’s party, the view, monster hill, always followed by In and Out at 7th and the 60. Good times! Circa late 80s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

92 cole

Reaction score
I grew up in Huntington Beach California and thru high school at HBHS class of 1976 .My father opened huntington beach auto supply and machine. Which was were I worked and at the ripe old age of 17 started building engines and running not only the store but machine shop. so at night we all hung out in front of the store with all our Hot Rods and the girlfriends bench racing and street racing out on Beach Blvd. Cops would come by and see us and the store open (so the girls could go ??) then see me and leave. Most were customers. Then say "hey Mark you guys being good" Then I would give the thumbs up and wave. They always would either park and hang out for a bit or just roll on by. Those were the days.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Did you go to Artesia High School?

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Growing up on the mountain, there really wasn't a real "go to" spot to hang out. So mostly we would party an drink in the backwoods of Arrowhead and Running Springs. Many times we would venture down to the valley in a group where it was guaranteed that shenanigans were going to be a big part of the night.
We made it up the hill a few times, not sure how. 😁

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Valley Parkway in Escondido in the 80's, and racing later in the night on Center City before there was much out there. We would also hit up 2nd Street in El Cajon once in a while as well as road trips to downtown Phoenix.
Valley Pkwy for me too. Washed cars and parked at the carwash accross from McDs.. Plenty of nights on centre city(aka frontage road) too.
Ah,the Good ol' carefree days.

Taboma

Reaction score

Ahhhh, Summer nights in mid-60's Arrowhead Village was where it was happening brother. :p 😁

Dick Dale and the Deltones playing at the Village outdoor dance pavilion, dad's borrowed Chris Craft docked right there in the bay --- WOO HOO, I mean seriously, the flat-lander gals as far away as Palm Springs would flock there on weekend nights.
Feel in love a million times, even married one ---- (OK that didn't end well :oops:). Plus the Penny Arcade, minature golf, the Sat Night midnight horror movies at the theater, candy apples, I mean that place had it going.
Or ice skating in Blue Jay at the ancient outdoor rink, another hot spot to meet the young ladies. My friend owned the Blue Jay horse stables, so we could always do a late night ride to Totem Pole point.

In those days only the druggie hippies hung out in Deep Creek, of course the SB Sheriffs knew that too and every weekend they'd haul em in and hand-cuff them to the horse rail outside the Crestline Sheriffs station.

Eventually the dance closed up, replaced by condos, Ice Rink closed too, but by then old enough to hustle cougars at the Village Chalet or the Cedar Glen Sportsman and do some midnight boat rides to watch the Submarine Races or party on the Island 😜

But, I grew up, went to war, returned mid-70's to find a beautiful lake but now filled nut-to-butt with homes and docks, strip malls had replaced the beautiful old village, ice skating was now indoors, it had all quickly changed, cold and unfriendly, kids just roaming about --- "Hangin", nothing else to do, everything good was erased by so-called progress. 😪
We'd been up there since late 50's, we had an amazing 20 years, the best 20 that lake ever had to offer, it was time to sell and move on. So I headed to the River :cool:
Breaks my heart I lost all the boxes of pictures and 8mm movies in the wildfire. Best years of my life were spent up there. 😍

PlanB

Reaction score
Valley Pkwy for me too. Washed cars and parked at the carwash accross from McDs.. Plenty of nights on centre city(aka frontage road) too.
Ah,the Good ol' carefree days.

Our spot was in the McD's lot. 64 GTO and 71 Nova. Great times...

johnnyC

Reaction score
used to go into bobs on sepulveda below mission when it was a drive in across from the bear pit good looking car hops... damn those were the days... and van nuys blvd before the blvd was shut down by the powers at the time van guys now is just a homeless migrant mess

TroubleMaker

Reaction score
Grew up in La Mirada early 80's, hungout weekend nights at Naugles (to begin or end the night), cruisin Whittier Bl & Van Nuys Bl and occasionally the Clubs in Hollywood...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Our spot was in the McD's lot. 64 GTO and 71 Nova. Great times...
If the same gto that always parked in McDs then we knew him as the "old man". Most of us had lowered and caged road racers. Older brothers of one friend all had very fast AMC's....Gremlins, AMX and Hornet.

Last edited:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Grew up in Downey. Harvey's/Johnies' Broiler drew cruisers from all over. In those days it seemed to be a bit of a low riders hang out. Amazing cars for sure. Our real HS hangout was McDs, corner of Florence and Lakewood. One of the very first McDs locations. I know it was there in 1953 when we moved to Downey. $.15 burgers, $.18 cheese burgers, $.10 fries etc. Downey PD didn't hassle us much, but there were some idiot rent-a-cops there who could be real jerks.

retaocleg

Reaction score
in LHC in the 80's it was superblock...…..known now as the area directly across the street from Albertsons.....everyone would meet and hang there till the party destination was determined...…...and if no parties were announced, chemehuevi wash or cherry tree wash or bison road up in the stix is where everyone would go...bonefire wash parties were the best….

FreeBird236

Reaction score
in LHC in the 80's it was superblock...…..known now as the area directly across the street from Albertsons.....everyone would meet and hang there till the party destination was determined...…...and if no parties were announced, chemehuevi wash or cherry tree wash or bison road up in the stix is where everyone would go...bonefire wash parties were the best….
Cool to hear from a local.