WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Straws.....Now water bottles??

Meaney77

Reaction score
California's next big progressive statement- First state to ban straws, now they are working on plastic water bottles.

I find it funny how these things come full circle. I remember growing up it was all about the 3 R's (Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle) reducing paper, and paper products. Saving the trees and the environment so there was a big push to use plastic and recyclable items, including plastic grocery bags... now their is a big push to move away from plastic. I am thoroughly confused and not sure who and what to believe anymore.

One would think this state has bigger issues to worry about at this point in time rather than worrying about reducing our carbon foot print- I cant help but shake my head.....

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SFO-plastic-water-bottle-ban-no-waste-airport-14363779.php

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
How about we focus on the bigger problems.......increased crime, increased narcotics, increased homelessness and out of control mental health concerns! Politicians are blind to the true issues we common folks are expected to endure on a daily basis. :mad:

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
This is how they are solving the problem
IMG_2291.JPG

Bunch of fucking libtards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I'm actually perfectly fine with losing the plastics. I prefer the glass bottles of yesteryear!

ramos45

Reaction score
I don't live in Cali but i'm aware of ALL its issues from what i read here. Of course there are bigger issues that should be priority on the agenda but I welcome the push for reducing single use plastics. When I was shopping for my last boat outing I started thinking of other ways I can provide drinking water when boating other than buying a pack of plastic bottles at Costco/Walmart. That day I bought the pack but I'm considering trying out a single large container of water and just assigning cups to drink out of, similar to house parties. I can't stand just how many half used bottles of water are left behind.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I'm actually on board with this. I didn't realize plastics were this detrimental to our ecosystem. First it was the straws affecting turtles now it's the fucking jellyfish that have to suffer. WHEN IS IT GOING TO END!?!

IMG_20190819_180153.png

Meaney77

Reaction score
I don't live in Cali but i'm aware of ALL its issues from what i read here. Of course there are bigger issues that should be priority on the agenda but I welcome the push for reducing single use plastics. When I was shopping for my last boat outing I started thinking of other ways I can provide drinking water when boating other than buying a pack of plastic bottles at Costco/Walmart. That day I bought the pack but I'm considering trying out a single large container of water and just assigning cups to drink out of, similar to house parties. I can't stand just how many half used bottles of water are left behind.

So now you can burn thru a whole pack of red solo cups!!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I was listening on NPR crossing the desert and Toilet Paper is on their hit list too.

Dana757

Reaction score
just so you know ..... straws are not banned in CA. With that said I agree with the idea. Plastic is a huge problem in the oceans. Seems odd that people living the outdoor / boating lifestyle are so negative towards basic environment conservation.

oldschool

Reaction score
Plastic water bottles are barely water bottles at all. Even the Kirkland water bottles are so thin now they hardly stand on their own.

RodnJen

Reaction score

We use a 3 gallon Igloo jug. It goes on every road trip and every boat ride. Fill it full of ice and water, it lasts all day in any conditions.

oldschool

Reaction score
just so you know ..... straws are not banned in CA. With that said I agree with the idea. Plastic is a huge problem in the oceans. Seems odd that people living the outdoor / boating lifestyle are so negative towards basic environment conservation.
I see it as a people problem, not a plastic problem. If people would dispose of trash/plastic correctly it wouldn't be an issue. Interesting how people are concerned with landfills filling up with plastic, yet the homeless have the "right" to fill the streets with garbage.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I remember when Walt Disney World opened up back in the 70's
Their waste sewage and trash system were revolutionary, one of the first to go Eco system. Amazing back then.

Sturdy Plates and straws, knives and forks were cornstarch and compressed recycled paper and/or wood and "composted into mother earth."

WDW produced their own fertilizer even sold the excess off to vendors.
Sewage was a separate system from grey water and the sewage lagoons fed water lilies growing that were harvested and composted .
Well fed and treated grey-watered golf courses, Rivers of America, lakes and resort gardens and landscapes.

Florida experienced a severe drought one long spell since its inception but WDW sailed on through it unscathed and unnoticed.

Then plastic hit the scene.

Last edited:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We've experimented with getting the half sized bottles to prevent all the half full left overs.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
im fine with single use plastics being phased out. think about everyone buying the costco packs of bottled water and where all those plastic bottles are going? why not just get a big jug like back in the day and use a refillable thermos, etc? i much prefer my hydroflask thing that keeps my water cold for like 48 hours to a crappy plastic water bottle.

what sucks is the paper straws. the mcdonalds by my house is testing them and i cant even get home before my straw is all soggy and i have to remove the lid on my drink.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
After seeing dead sea birds stomachs full of plastic, dead from starvation. I'm going to try to reduce buying of single use plastics. It's not going to be easy to change but necessary.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I’m also fine with this one. Our kids drink out of hydraflasks anyway. I hate half empty water bottles everywhere. We call them FLBs = F#cking little bottles. If you buy the big jugs and freeze them it makes a great block of ice for the bottom of your cooler and then you can refill the hydraflasks as it melts. Seems like this will make a much bigger impact then the straws.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I recycle most everything possible, even plastic tear off tabs from caps and such.
Bothers me to see others just toss stuff out without regard to reuse.....but I get not everyone has the same feeling towards it as me.

Backlash

Reaction score
I'm all for recycling because I enjoy the extra pocket change. But I have to ask. How many turtles have actually suffered from having a straw enter their nasal passage?? Seriously!! And how many MORE turtles have died due to other things like shark attacks, illegal harvesting, diseases and other natural causes? I'm not trying to be an insensitive asshole, but I'd be curious to know the numbers.

TrojanDan

Reaction score
If you ever travel outside the United States, you will see other countries (particularly coastal countries) have been implementing the ban on plastics for much longer. We are just behind on the curve. California, being a coastal state enforced a quicker ban than other states. I haven’t seen many Leatherback Sea Turtles last time I was in Havasu.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score

I really hope you're being facetious....

500bbc

Reaction score
Further emphasizing the idiocy of the left.
Just like shopping bags, "No Paper! You're killing the trees (grown on tree farms) We must use plastic!".
Now it's "No Plastic! You're killing the planet!"
Same with straws except the idiots use a fabricated number from a 10 year old blogger to push the claim of billions of straws used per day in the US.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I recycle most everything possible, even plastic tear off tabs from caps and such.
Bothers me to see others just toss stuff out without regard to reuse.....but I get not everyone has the same feeling towards it as me.

the sad part is that you probably toss all that stuff into the recycle bin, but the recycling facility doesnt have the tech/resources or its not cost effective for them to actually recycle any of it.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I don't care about the water bottles, do what you want. I just hate paper straws. Pretty much all the restaurants in my town have them now. I've stocked up on plastic straws at the Dollar Store...…………..

500bbc

Reaction score
Yeah well that, or just pick up your trash.
the sad part is that you probably toss all that stuff into the recycle bin, but the recycling facility doesnt have the tech/resources or its not cost effective for them to actually recycle any of it.
Recycling is currently a net loss environmentally.

spectras only

Reaction score
As @oldschool said above, the problem is people not plastics.We do recycle everything at the local recycle store and use the money buying lotto tickets with.:) Milk jugs, plastic food containers and paper in separate blue bins picked up by garbage truck, every second week. Garden waste every two weeks etc.....I do my oil changes of my vehicles and m/c, but can't drop off used oil anymore at local auto mart, because azzholes emptied everything into the outside collection tank that was strictly for used automotive oil.Now, I have to travel outside of city limit to the muni dump to get rid of used oil in original oil bottles it came in.No generic plastic containers to collect the oil and take it there. They have cameras at the drop table, you'd get caught if don't follow their rules. Humans do themselves in, hence the NEW IDEAS about plastics.:mad:
Ps; biggest polluters of the Oceans are freighters and cruise ships.They dump all kinda shit when no one watching.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I am not opposed to it either, I guess my point is when will it end? Plastic was the next best thing to slice bread 15/20 years ago because it could be reused and now its bad. Next their will be a push to use paper again which will reduce trees, harm rain forest and cause more global warming and it will be an ongoing cycle. I am really into personal accountability and picking up after myself and doing the right thing and leaving places better than when you arrived so others can enjoy- need others to do the same.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I'm actually perfectly fine with losing the plastics. I prefer the glass bottles of yesteryear!

Glass bottles are great until they are shattered everywhere and you step on it in the water. Ever go desert camping and see how much glass is littered throughout the desert and you or your kids get injured because you step on it or possibly pop a tire because you run over it?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I realize it may not all go through but at least I feel better about it.:D
I'd think Waste Management would be the most likely to be more thorough than others facilities. Who knows.

Andy B.

Reaction score

Exactly and glass is 100% recyclable the plastic movement was the wrong idea some experts totally called this decades ago!!!

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Plastic water bottles are barely water bottles at all. Even the Kirkland water bottles are so thin now they hardly stand on their own.
And there is a reason for that. Several years ago my largest customer at the time was family owned Niagara Bottling. They formed a R&D team of engineers to look at ways of cutting cost on their finished product, a 1 liter bottle of water. In the end they cut the cap material almost in half (notice how short the cap has become) and 39% off the bottle weight with a goal of just getting the bottle to not collapse when empty. As a matter of fact they have no problem manufacturing a bottle of water and could make it even thinner but there is that fine line of customer satisfaction. The output of each of there plants is actually astonishing. Their plant just off the 60 at Archibald produces about 5,650 1 liter bottles of water every minute 24/7, that's 135,000 bottles a day. It always amazed me how cheap they sold a case of water for with all of their overhead cost but in reality it purely volume. 90% of their production are private label for companies like Costco, Kroger, Smart & Final, etc.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Another absolutely ridiculous 'virtue signalling' solution that completely ignores the real problems.

Plastic water bottles are awesome, super convenient, sanitary, and recyclable. They also have biodegradeable plastic now that many bottles are made out of.

This is just another attempt of law makers and arm chair liberals to feel like they have 'done something' while bums shit on sidewalks, toss their needles in gutters, break into people's property, and litter the streets with garbage.

Andy B.

Reaction score
The new RDP drinking cups just bring a big jug and refill all day and will keep your water cold lol! I personal use my RTIC out at the lake and you're welcome Dave for the product push!:D

ramos45

Reaction score
You guys are right, it's more of a people problem rather than a plastic problem. Very similar to the other huge topic in the news. I cringe at government regulation on plastic but i do see the merits of it. But then the alternative will soon be exploited and we will eventually come full circle.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Oh no grasshopper, you failed to notice that i said "assigning cups".

I totally understand what you are saying, I have 3 kids I know how assigning works... it usually results in fighting, wasting, dumping out, spitting out, loosing, or crushing water bottles and solo cups.

And for the record most of the time all 3 of my rug rats use an insulated cup of some sort to drink water. But those times they choose to use a solo cup or bottle water most of the time the end result is what I stated above.

DLC

Reaction score
How does all this plastic get into the ocean?

Shit I haven’t gone to the beach in 10 years, I’ll drive down the coast but my feet haven’t touched the sand in years.

This is a people problem!

ramos45

Reaction score
I totally understand what you are saying, I have 3 kids I know how assigning works... it usually results in fighting, wasting, dumping out, spitting out, loosing, or crushing water bottles and solo cups.

And for the record most of the time all 3 of my rug rats use an insulated cup of some sort to drink water. But those times they choose to use a solo cup or bottle water most of the time the end result is what I stated above.

I see where you are coming from. I mostly boat with adults who for the most part abide by the rules of the boat. My next trip out is planned for Monday Labor day, I might try the jug then. I have a non single use plastic cups on board that I can provide everyone.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
How does all this plastic get into the ocean?

Shit I haven’t gone to the beach in 10 years, I’ll drive down the coast but my feet haven’t touched the sand in years.

This is a people problem!
My question as well. I put my plastic where I am told, pay the fees for garbage and recycling but get penalized when those in charge and profiting fuck it up. I'm willing to bet it's not profitable anymore so let's ban the shit

Meaney77

Reaction score
My question as well. I put my plastic where I am told, pay the fees for garbage and recycling but get penalized when those in charge and profiting fuck it up. I'm willing to bet it's not profitable anymore so let's ban the shit

Kinda makes you wonder why all of the recycling centers for bottles and cans in CA just recently closed their doors

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Another absolutely ridiculous 'virtue signalling' solution that completely ignores the real problems.

Plastic water bottles are awesome, super convenient, sanitary, and recyclable. They also have biodegradeable plastic now that many bottles are made out of.

This is just another attempt of law makers and arm chair liberals to feel like they have 'done something' while bums shit on sidewalks, toss their needles in gutters, break into people's property, and litter the streets with garbage.

It blows my mind when bleeding heart liberals AND conservatives are appalled when you disagree about having legislation like this shoved down our throats.
This has nothing to do with being negative towards basic environment conservation. It has everything to do with punishing us for the rest of the WORLDS problems.
Fucking idiots

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I've been to that massive area of floating plastic in the mid Pacific. Much of it is made up of water bottles. Plus an amazing amount of plastic disposable lighters.