WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Streaming **** School me on this please !!!!!!!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Same with the FireStick or Cube.

And...

Most new TV's have Google TV or Fire TV built in. They all offer the exact same free features as well.

There is absolutely no reason to spend 700 plus dollars on a streaming device.

I have brand new Sony Bravda (sp?)

It has Google TV built in.

I like Fire TV better cause when you search, it will find any show on any service!

Google TV (amazingly enough) won't find shows on Prime. Stupid Google. 🤬
What if you just have a laptop laying around?
I don’t think he means run out and buy a Mac just for that.
I’ve got a few laps laying around, PC and macs.
Maybe I’ll go this route since my last DTV bill was $180 with no premiums. 😡😡😡

Taboma

Reaction score
DTV raised their prices for '23.
If you're interested and haven't already gone down this path, I recommend calling DTV, nicely explain to the heavily accented "Bob" like person that the burden of your bill has become intolerable and you'd like to speak with their "Customer Retention --- AKA Customer Loyalty" department.

Those very nice folks are full on Americans located in places like Montana, Texas, West Virginia, and if treated respectfully, will bend over backwards to find you some rather amazing cost cutting promo or the like.

I've repeated this for so many years, I know most all of those very nice loyalty folks by name.
My tip of the day, don't call angry, be friendly, joke around, ask them for their help, they've always come through for me.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
If you're interested and haven't already gone down this path, I recommend calling DTV, nicely explain to the heavily accented "Bob" like person that the burden of your bill has become intolerable and you'd like to speak with their "Customer Retention --- AKA Customer Loyalty" department.

Those very nice folks are full on Americans located in places like Montana, Texas, West Virginia, and if treated respectfully, will bend over backwards to find you some rather amazing cost cutting promo or the like.

I've repeated this for so many years, I know most all of those very nice loyalty folks by name.
My tip of the day, don't call angry, be friendly, joke around, ask them for their help, they've always come through for me.
Yeah I’ve done the same many many times.
I used to do the annual Sunday ticket dance every year.
Got it for $99 each year back when I watched football. Even then they would bill me full price (over 6 payments) and I’d have to call and tell them no, I always pay $99 a year and why can’t we just automatically do that each season. But they always made me call.
Been a customer for 22 years.
Lately, like the last 3 years, I’ve noticed less “cooperation” on their end. But as my habits have changed as I’ve gotten older, and main stream channels seem to try to piss me off with a steady dose of wokeness, I have lost interest in paying a premium to watch gays and fat black women try to convince me that they are hot.
So it’s probably time to just say goodbye.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yeah I’ve done the same many many times.
I used to do the annual Sunday ticket dance every year.
Got it for $99 each year back when I watched football.
Been a customer for 22 years.
Lately, like the last 3 years, I’ve noticed less “cooperation” on their end. But as my habits have changed as I’ve gotten older, and main stream channels seem to try to piss me off with a steady dose of wokeness, I have lost interest in paying a premium to watch gays and fat black women try to convince me that they are hot.
So it’s probably time to just say goodbye.
Well I've got two challenges that motivate me to maintain the status quo.
Location, Location, Location -- a lone Navajo in a teepee, 200 miles from the village, has more viewing choices and faster "Streaming" Internet.
My hard working, still bring home the bacon wife, wants to push one button and watch tv, with me alive or in a jar on the mantel.
Every time I check Starlink, Musk sez, just wait, coming in --- 202? the last number just keeps moving to the next year. 🤷‍♂️

I agree 100% on the "Woke" programming and have discovered that their insulting attempts at conditioning my acceptance has awoken a prejudiced demon I thought previously banished. So we mostly watch older movies and reruns.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score

Funny, I just talked to "Karen" in the loyalty department yesterday. She is from Kentucky and married her HS sweetheart like I did. After the pleasantries... She knocked off the $30 bucks like the loyalty department did last year. Still way over priced though. Keeping the Sat DTV for my dad (he has a DTV DVR box at his house). He doesn't like change. If one were to switch to DTV streaming and split the cost 3 ways, it becomes reasonable.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Over the air tv and prime through wifi. We probably watch one movie a month. My kid has all the other shit in his room one his dime. In BHC my buddy has dish. Way to much to choose from for an old fuk like me. Doctor pimple popper is not for me.

Taboma

Reaction score
Funny, I just talked to "Karen" in the loyalty department yesterday. She is from Kentucky and married her HS sweetheart like I did. After the pleasantries... She knocked off the $30 bucks like the loyalty department did last year. Still way over priced though. Keeping the Sat DTV for my dad (he has a DTV DVR box at his house). He doesn't like change. If one were to switch to DTV streaming and split the cost 3 ways, it becomes reasonable.
With a mountain blocking terrestrial, and a max download speed of 18 mb which is rarely achievable, our choices are limited. Plus we've got the dish in Havasu, so just cart the DVR there and don't need internet service.
Eventually when it's available, Starlink seems our best alternative, although I'd still have to subscribe to streaming services, when the time comes I'll pencil it out.
Whatever the choice, being EZ for my wife is the primary requirement, cost savings is secondary.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

That could work for most of the popular apps.

Obviously it's not going decode 4K and Dolby Atmos, but it would sure work to try things out!