WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stringer choise

stupidbaker57

Reaction score
I'll be replacing the stringers in my Rayson soon and was interested in knowing what would a good material be. I can get old growth, knot free spruce. Would this be good or is there other choises? I don't want to do the "sea cast resin" way.

H2oracer

Reaction score
I'll be replacing the stringers in my Rayson soon and was interested in knowing what would a good material be. I can get old growth, knot free spruce. Would this be good or is there other choises? I don't want to do the "sea cast resin" way.[/QUOTE Don't use spruce. It may be lighter and strong but if it gets any moisture at all you will have wood rot. Doug fir would be a better choice as it is more resistant to rot than spruce. I have built a number of stock out board race boats useing spruce for the structure and even with it sealed with epoxy if there is the slightest pin hole or crack spruce will turn black from water intrusion. Good luck with your project.

lebel409

Reaction score
Turnng black isn't the same as wood rot...put a nail in wood and get it wet...black (iron oxide stain).

I've always heard Spruce was the E ticket...Doug fir was what you had to use if you couldn't afford spruce.

H2oracer

Reaction score
Turnng black isn't the same as wood rot...put a nail in wood and get it wet...black (iron oxide stain).

I've always heard Spruce was the E ticket...Doug fir was what you had to use if you couldn't afford spruce.

Spruce will turn black without nails, just get it wet and over time it will happen. Black spots from from moisture ( not nails) is fungus which rots the wood. All wood has rot spores and decay at different rates depending upon the wood species .Spruce decays faster than doug fir so it's not a better choice for longevity. I do agree nails with iron content will stain the wood black and looks like fungus. For racing spruce is a good choice for strength and being light weight but for a pleasure boat or weekend hot rod doug fir would be my choice.