WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Structural Engineer Torrance

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have a question about a project in Torrance. Existing house putting a addition on the front. The architects engineer (I do not know him) wants the existing house to be completely shear walled and footings under pinned. The unexpected cost puts the project over budget. At this point I told him to find another Engineer to see if they can do it without tearing into the whole existing house. Expected to tear into front where the addition is but not the whole existing. If there is someone on here or one you can refer that would be great. I have the pdf I can email. Would be cheaper to have it engineered again than build it as it is drawn now. And after a year wait to get approved and plans drawn they do not want to scrap project.

REPLICA GRAPHICS

Reaction score
You could try this guy, my Architect used him for my house in Long Beach. Very reasonable and he is out that way I believe.

Eric Lu
(310) 691-6339

braindead

Reaction score
That's bullshit!

F-ing engineers that don't want to do there job and crunch the numbers so they screw over the contractor and homeowners by being lazy and throwing concrete, holdowns and shearwalls everywhere.

We use Art Assink 310-618-0782. He's ben in the business for a while so he works at his own pace, but he knows his stuff and will do only what is necessary.

primetime

Reaction score
Addition on front of house 1 story? And underpin existing foundation? WTF!!!! Hillside?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Addition on front of house 1 story? And underpin existing foundation? WTF!!!! Hillside?

It is a weird addition. There is a 5' tall storage room that will be made liveable by excavating and going down it is below the first story. This caused the variance issue as it makes the existing two story over the 27' height regulation. That part has been given the ok after a few city council meetings and neighbor approval. I new that area would require some serious shoring and underpinning. The back part of house is the original and the two story in front added in the 80's. They want the original house to be sheared and I believe underpinned also going to meet up with them in a few and confirm as they gave me a PDF but I can not see it on my small screen. Homeowner said shear and underpinned I can see the shear details but can not see the under pin portion.

I talked to another engineer and he said the issue is more with the city. If they value the work to be greater than 50% than existing needs to be updated to todays codes. The soil report can play a role in calling for under pinning he mentioned. And yes it is hillside overlay which was another hurdle passed. Everything was finally ready to be submitted to plan check today with a expedite check. But after having the last 2 projects I did way over engineered (money thrown away IMO) I told homeowner lets get a second opinion. I was going to schedule the sandblaster and homeowner mentioned it and that is when architect mentioned that all the stucco must come off so it can be sheared and under pinned. A lot more work than just sandblasting existing and putting in new windows.

I will post back in a few heading over there to go over the plans on the big screen so I can see all the details.

NicPaus

Reaction score
So the under pinning is not on the back original house which is good, the bad is they want the roof framing removed and re-framed and everything sheared on original house and the addition from the 80s. told him to schedule a meeting with the engineer to ask some questions. Might be cause the roof is going from composition to tile. Homeowner will stick with composition if that saves from having to shear existing house and tear off existing roof framing.

There is a back original house a addition was added in front in the 80's with a second story and a 5' storage type basement below. That room below will be dug down to be 8' ceiling height become live able space and a garage built in front of it.

NicPaus

Reaction score
We stuck with the same Engineer had him take the sheer walls out plans so stucco stays on existing. Finally got approved yesterday. 2 years total to get approved by City. Bringing up the scaffold to sandblast and bringing up the Cat by the end of the week. 4 days off at the River now back to 15 hour days 7 days a week to get this project moving.