WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Strut bushing removal

braindead

Reaction score
IMG_1709.JPG
Earlier today I was trying to remove the strut bushing and I'm having to beat it apart from the housing to get pieces out with a hammer and a screwdriver, Stopped before I think I did any damage, and noticed there appears to be a round brass ring around the bushing but separate from the strut housing.

Was searching online and someone mentioned a cutlass bearing, although that's mostly used for slow speed and larger diameter shafts, but is sure looks like what I've got going on.

Anybody have any suggestions on what to try or what I have?

Boats a 73 Spectra 20

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Sawzall and cut up towards the strut not down so it won't damage anything if you cut a tad to much, slidehammer or puller. You can make a installer pretty easy make sure to put the new one in the freezer for a while it usually makes it a little easier

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Yes, the brass part is bonded to the bushing ( cutlass bearing ) I have never been able to beat one out. A piece of all thread rod and the right size socket wrench or similar to make a puller is best. It is a bitch, good luck and be patient. It looks like a Glenwood bronze strut don't get carried away I have seen guys bend them.

I have also seen guys take a hack saw apart, put the blade through the prop shaft hole, reassemble the saw and carefully cut through the brass part to relieve the tension and push the bushing out.

braindead

Reaction score
Sawzall and cut up towards the strut not down so it won't damage anything if you cut a tad to much, slidehammer or puller. You can make a installer pretty easy make sure to put the new one in the freezer for a while it usually makes it a little easier

Good tip, thanks

braindead

Reaction score
Yes, the brass part is bonded to the bushing ( cutlass bearing ) I have never been able to beat one out. A piece of all thread rod and the right size socket wrench or similar to make a puller is best. It is a bitch, good luck and be patient. It looks like a Glenwood bronze strut don't get carried away I have seen guys bend them.

I have also seen guys take a hack saw apart, put the blade through the prop shaft hole, reassemble the saw and carefully cut through the brass part to relieve the tension and push the bushing out.

Shit! Nothin on this boat is easy.

Guess a hacksaw it is. Do you know if it's possible to push both bushings through one end when removing them or is there a lip inside the strut that prevents this?

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Shit! Nothin on this boat is easy.

Guess a hacksaw it is. Do you know if it's possible to push both bushings through one end when removing them or is there a lip inside the strut that prevents this?
It will push out