WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stuck Hatch

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
Hatch rams both clicking and won’t raise. Worked before we left for Jack Smith, now at Jack Smith, hatch won’t open. Wife jumped up and down while I hit the switch, Nuttin’ just clicking.

sintax

Reaction score
hmm, thats a tough one, any video of the wife jumping, just so we can confirm that steps being executed properly?

really though, sounds like a dead batt situation, any way you can get to a terminal to hook up a booster to "jump" it?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I would go with sintax as possible low battery.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
Everything else works, trim tabs, drive goes up and down and engine will start. Hooked up Antigravity battery charger thinking the same. I can hear clicking. Even tried taking my bat for a floor jack thru the bottom of the back seat and tapping on each one. Still nothing.

sintax

Reaction score
Everything else works, trim tabs, drive goes up and down and engine will start. Hooked up Antigravity battery charger thinking the same. I can hear clicking. Even tried taking my bat for a floor jack thru the bottom of the back seat and tapping on each one. Still nothing.

i wonder if you have a loose / corroded ground or power lead? I just find it hard to imagine you'd have 2 failed lifts

HBCraig

Reaction score
Try lifting up on it while you hit the switch
This first

But, do you have a manual valve that can't be opened to allow you to raise it manually? Some do. Mine does

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Does it go through a relay? Could be bad relay

Taboma

Reaction score
Do you have a voltage tester ? Seems the relay coils are getting voltage, hence them both "Clicking". Since you claim you've got plenty of battery voltage, control circuit seems good, I'm wondering if the relay contact circuit is separate from the control circuit and there's a blown fuse or tripped breaker upstream. If you have voltage tester, see if you've got 12V to ground off either side of the relay contact terminals when the relay is energized (Clicking).

USMC2010

Reaction score
Mine did that a few times, it would click but not raise. Flick the switch back and forth rapidly, it may reengage and unstick the relay.

Last edited:

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I had the same problem and got similar suggestions. Here is what I did and the results:

1) replaced batteries (this was a bitch with the hatch stuck closed)
2) replaced hatch switch
3) replaced in-line fuse in wiring
4) re-wired the entire boat (also a real bitch to get wires under the stuck hatch)
5) had a new bimini installed
6) waited 18 months to get my trailer refurbished
7) bought new trailer tires
8) bough an F-150 to tow my boat
9) got my boat ceramic coated

None of that worked.....

Final thing that worked, tried a new prop.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Mine did that a few times, it would click but not raise. Flick the switch back and forth rapidly, it may reengage and unstick the relay.
Yeah. Keep trying it repetively would be my suggestion too.
Once in a while mine clicks & won't move(dual rams) but it will if I flip the switch 2-3 times. Usually won't do it again until it sits for at least a day or two.
Because I'm assuming each ram has an individual relay my intuition tells me the switch is the culprit. Just my guess.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
First off, are the rams even on relays? If no, lifting the hatch as you hit it with power may help.

Sometimes when its hot my hatch will stick a little initially, I'm assuming because everything has expanded. maybe pour a little water around the edge of the hatch

USMC2010

Reaction score
First off, are the rams even on relays? If no, lifting the hatch as you hit it with power may help.

Sometimes when its hot my hatch will stick a little initially, I'm assuming because everything has expanded. maybe pour a little water around the edge of the hatch
Be it a relay or switch internal to the motor they function the same when power is applied.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Be it a relay or switch internal to the motor they function the same when power is applied.

That is true. I was thinking if the relay was bad, it’s not going up either way.

My boat was built without relays for the rams. I never even heard the clutch kick on them until after I put the rams on relays.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
any video of the wife jumping,

This is a critical step, video of it is important to insure its being done properly is helpful for us to determine the effectiveness. Frontal and rear view is needed.

Dalton

Reaction score
My fuse to my ram popped a while back, you’re probably going to have to unbolt/screw the back seat and slide it forward, the bolts for the ram are something like 3/4 or 11/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Have you removed the back seat recently for upholstery or motor work? I had a similar problem and it was due to the rams bottoming out. Mine bottomed out because the rear seat was moved a little so the cushion portion of the hatch cover made contact with the top of the seat rather than the plywood portion. This would allow the rams to travel a little further and bottom out from time to time.

Riverryder

Reaction score
my hatch with a scoop wants to take off when traveling. but when i do a ram i will make sure i can reach the pin thru the rear bench!!

wet hull

Reaction score
Definitely the relay. Hit it like a Volkswagen bug starter and it will start working again.

JayBreww

Reaction score
Pretty obvious but maybe did someone clip in the safety straps that prevent them from lifting while underway?

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Mine would do they from time to time, ended up being a corroded terminal in the connection.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
i wonder if you have a loose / corroded ground or power lead? I just find it hard to imagine you'd have 2 failed lifts
Nope, had Nordic Boats in Havi re-wire booth rams and my whole stereo system.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
Definitely the relay. Hit it like a Volkswagen bug starter and it will start working again.
Tried that, took the back seat cushion out, shimmied the handle of my floor jack andhad the wife hit the switch while I tapped on each ram. Nothing. Just heard clicking.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
Pretty obvious but maybe did someone clip in the safety straps that prevent them from lifting while underway?

Nope, don't have safety straps.

traquer

Reaction score
Is there an access hole so that you can get to the bottom (or top) of the ram? My Essex had the ram connected by pins at the top and bottom that could be removed in a case like yours. The bottom one was accesed via an access hole under the rear seat @SPFRONTMAN

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
My fuse to my ram popped a while back, you’re probably going to have to unbolt/screw the back seat and slide it forward, the bolts for the ram are something like 3/4 or 11/16

Brought the boat home, going to take the back seat out and figure this out.
This is a critical step, video of it is important to insure its being done properly is helpful for us to determine the effectiveness. Frontal and rear view is needed.
Hatch rams both clicking and won’t raise. Worked before we left for Jack Smith, now at Jack Smith, hatch won’t open. Wife jumped up and down while I hit the switch, Nuttin’ just clicking.

Thanks, everyone for your input, towed the boat all the way home and the back seat is going to come out. Also going to do some much-needed serious detailing. I just couldn't do it at the river in that heat and with limited tools.

572ext

Reaction score
When you get the seat out you will probably have to remove the rams and take them apart sound like they went to far down and bottomed out you have to hold the large gear and put a screw drive in the top hole of the ram and break it loose then put it all back together and it should work they make collars for them so they can’t bottom out if you have enough room for them if not you have to be careful to stop before it bottoms out

Mototrig

Reaction score
Maybe before you tear into the rams after they've been removed from the boat bench test them with a known good power source and jumper wires.