WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stuck in 4wd?

badluck24/7

Reaction score
2007 2500hd Lbz ccsb
Noticed a new ‘whining’ type noise as I got on the freeway this morning. Sounds like it’s coming from the front end. Sounds the same sitting in driver and passenger side so not dominant on one side. Gets louder as speed increases. 2hi light is on and no messages in the dic and no ses light or codes. Truck doesn’t feel any different switching to 4 hi or 4 lo. Any quick visual or hands on checks I can do to narrow down if maybe the front end or transfer case is engaged? I know I know... trying to diagnose on the internet is dumb but I’m just trying to get home without causing too much damage. Any other suggestions? Let me know if I need to post more info. Thanks

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
2007 2500hd Lbz ccsb
Noticed a new ‘whining’ type noise as I got on the freeway this morning. Sounds like it’s coming from the front end. Sounds the same sitting in driver and passenger side so not dominant on one side. Gets louder as speed increases. 2hi light is on and no messages in the dic and no ses light or codes. Truck doesn’t feel any different switching to 4 hi or 4 lo. Any quick visual or hands on checks I can do to narrow down if maybe the front end or transfer case is engaged? I know I know... trying to diagnose on the internet is dumb but I’m just trying to get home without causing too much damage. Any other suggestions? Let me know if I need to post more info. Thanks
Did you try baking up slowly with no hands on the wheel after you disengaged the transfer case?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Electronic or manual ? Off E pull the fuse start car then put I back , happened to me once at the zoo

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Is the 07 one of the years where the transfer case oil pump eats through the case?

sintax

Reaction score
You sure its not a wheel bearing?

The wheel bearings on these trucks go out every 60-120k depending on use / tire size. I had both of my original bearings go out around the same time. One ticked and chirped for maybe 5k before it got bad enough i wanted to change it. The other sounded like a power steering pump failing, and went from whine to BAD scary quick.

Just jack the front up and check for movement up and down.

*** side note ***
If you were stuck in 4wd you'd know it, Its pretty much an instant "WTF is going on..." as soon as you try making a turn on pavement.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
You sure its not a wheel bearing?

The wheel bearings on these trucks go out every 60-120k depending on use / tire size. I had both of my original bearings go out around the same time. One ticked and chirped for maybe 5k before it got bad enough i wanted to change it. The other sounded like a power steering pump failing, and went from whine to BAD scary quick.

Just jack the front up and check for movement up and down.

*** side note ***
If you were stuck in 4wd you'd know it, Its pretty much an instant "WTF is going on..." as soon as you try making a turn on pavement.
Yes check these I just replaced mine yesterday. Amazon timken bearings and 2 hours time.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If thats the case, strong chance its the transfer case shift motor. Worst case scenairo to get you through for the time being, pull the front drive shaft. If its still doing it than its something in the frint end. Either the fornt axle actuator is frozen in the extended position, or the 4wd computer (it has a seperate controller for the 4wd, or at least the 99 to '07 classics did) is going haywire.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Ok, disconnected the batteries, pulled the fuse, and let the truck sit. Started the truck and installed the fuse and it was back in 2wd. Thanks for the help.
Guess it’s time to replace some parts.

Right on !!
As stated above that’s what worked for me both times before replacing shift motor.
I did my own. Was not bad 1.5-2 hrs
There is a method on YouTube to check the dash selector switch first, but I’m confident it’s the transfer case shift motor.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
If it has push button transfer case , scan it for codes . Look under ATC .