WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sturgeon- Teach me how...

Water Romper

Reaction score
Been a trout/bass fisherman for years, also did some shore/jetty/pier fishing in So. Cal. Now I live in Boise Idaho and I've never caught more fish in my life, the trout here are abundant.
So, I want to try and catch the ever elusive Sturgeon. Yes, I know they are endangered and it would be a catch and release type of deal.
I have salt water gear and tackle- assuming that's what's needed, so what's the trick? I need tips on bait, rigging, time of day, fast/slow current etc.... Any of you catch one of these prehistoric beasts?

boat527

Reaction score
Went years ago on a short trip up to the Snake out of Lewiston.. We caught some small mouth and cut them up for bait.. Used lots of lead to get it on the bottom where those huge lurkers feed.. Can't remember the leader length but it was long due to the current.

Caught this monster:
IMAG0159.jpg

boat527

Reaction score
Been a trout/bass fisherman for years, also did some shore/jetty/pier fishing in So. Cal. Now I live in Boise Idaho and I've never caught more fish in my life, the trout here are abundant.
So, I want to try and catch the ever elusive Sturgeon. Yes, I know they are endangered and it would be a catch and release type of deal.
I have salt water gear and tackle- assuming that's what's needed, so what's the trick? I need tips on bait, rigging, time of day, fast/slow current etc.... Any of you catch one of these prehistoric beasts?
Here in Portland you used to be able to keep a fish 24 to 48 inches only ..All others were released

Water Romper

Reaction score
Went years ago on a short trip up to the Snake out of Lewiston.. We caught some small mouth and cut them up for bait.. Used lots of lead to get it on the bottom where those huge lurkers feed.. Can't remember the leader length but it was long due to the current.

Caught this monster:
View attachment 1007453
DAMN!!!! What size test did you have? how long did it take to land that thing?

River Runnin

Reaction score
100 pound Braid, 3/0 - 5/0 Hook, (I have a 12' Master rod) 1 pound (more if needed) weight, and rollmop Herring wrapped/tied on hook with elastic string! 😉