WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Suggestions before running a boat after sitting 6yrs

badluck

Reaction score
I’d like to get the stoker out this yr but it’s been sitting for almost 6 yrs. it’s stored in a garage covered. I ran it out of gas. I’m assuming there is probably a quart in each tank. Not sure if or how to get that out or if I even need to. The impeller has about 1/2 hour of run time. It was changed with the gear oil almost 6yrs ago. It will definitely need a battery but are the fuel line going to need replacement? Should the injectors get cleaned/flowed? What should I do before running it. 2003 300x with I’m guessing 30 hours on it boat is a 1998. It has 2 tanks with a (I think) an immco power fuel switch over

outboard_256

Reaction score
Sounds like you stored it well. I would fill it up, and see how it runs. If it doesn't start or runs funny then start trouble shooting.

hallett21

Reaction score
Fresh tank of AV

New battery

Change lower unit oil and water pump

Maybe new plugs?

And go run it.

badluck

Reaction score
Fresh tank of AV

New battery

Change lower unit oil and water pump

Maybe new plugs?

And go run it.
Why new oil? New water pump? I’m assuming the rubber is bad after 6yrs?

hallett21

Reaction score
Why new oil? New water pump? I’m assuming the rubber is bad after 6yrs?
Peace of mind with oil. I’m sure it’s fine though.

Same with water pump. Probably fine but would suck if it broke etc.

Icky

Reaction score
My father in laws sat for 4 years and we just got it running again. Drained all the fuel, new impeller, the old one was permanently deformed. New oil, drive oil and spark plugs, didn't want to take any chances.

While it was sitting his areomotive fuel pump took a shit and he also had a bad coil.

badluck

Reaction score
Best way to get av gas? I’m in nor cal

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Clean out the tanks Completely!!!

Change the fuel filter.

New impeller.

Pull the plugs, spray some light oil in the cylinders and crank it for awhile.

Hook it to the hose and run it.

Why are you looking for AV gas? Is the engine That modified?? If so, do tell! 👍🏼

hallett21

Reaction score

Change the fuel filter.

New impeller.

Why are you looking for AV gas? Is the engine That modified?? If so, do tell! 👍🏼
300x can damn near get to 7k before the alarm I believe.

Edit. I think Mercury recommended 93 octane.

badluck

Reaction score
It’s stock.hallet21 recommended av gas

badluck

Reaction score

Change the fuel filter.

New impeller.

Tanks don’t come out but I can put in a few gallons and tow it down the freeway and then pump it out

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Tanks don’t come out but I can put in a few gallons and tow it down the freeway and then pump it out
As mentioned, change your water pump. After six years the vanes have taken a set and it will fail. Gear oil? If you want. It doesn't go bad sitting unused in the gear case but it's not hard to change so..... (trim the motor all the way up) Spray or pour a little 2 stroke oil in each cylinder (then trim it down) and turn the engine over by hand a few revolutions with the flywheel. Check your fuel lines for cracking or hardening. Replace if you feel it's necessary. Make sure to get ethanol resistant hose. Do you have a water separator filter in your fuel line? If so just put fuel in and run it. Change the filter after an hour. No water separator, then make sure you have a new fuel filter on hand and after an hour drain the left side of the VST and replace the filter . Really it should be fine even if you just put fuel in it and run it, after you change the water pump of course.

Duramax

Reaction score
If I were you I would clean the injectors. Piece of mind.

ricky e

Reaction score
Best way to get av gas? I’m in nor cal
go to your local muni airport... there will be a fuel service and those people are usually very nice, just take your gas cans... good luck!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
go to your local muni airport... there will be a fuel service and those people are usually very nice, just take your gas cans... good luck!
And if they ask for your tail number make one up. NICU812 usually works.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Sounds like for less than 200 bucks you're on your way (minus the gas- no idea what AV gas sells for a gallon)
Stock Merc's are pretty solid but as fellow posters stated, replace the impeller, replace the lower gear oil and clean gas is a cheap form of insurance-all doable by you if you want. The battery has nothing to do with the motor- a good deep cycle and your good to go. Post pictures
Oh...You may want to also look at the power tilt, hydraulics might need topping off, I would tilt up and down in the driveway....again, may just be a bit of maintenance.

...and this is more of a question than advice to the gang- If this is a 2 stroke, and he has oil injection, would the oil go bad just sitting? Is their a "shelf life" on something like Quicksilver or Bass Pro Shops oil 2 stroke oil?
The battery has nothing to do with the motor- a good deep cycle and your good to go. Post pictures and enjoy!

outboard_256

Reaction score
Sounds like for less than 200 bucks you're on your way (minus the gas- no idea what AV gas sells for a gallon)
Stock Merc's are pretty solid but as fellow posters stated, replace the impeller, replace the lower gear oil and clean gas is a cheap form of insurance-all doable by you if you want. The battery has nothing to do with the motor- a good deep cycle and your good to go. Post pictures
Oh...You may want to also look at the power tilt, hydraulics might need topping off, I would tilt up and down in the driveway....again, may just be a bit of maintenance.

...and this is more of a question than advice to the gang- If this is a 2 stroke, and he has oil injection, would the oil go bad just sitting? Is their a "shelf life" on something like Quicksilver or Bass Pro Shops oil 2 stroke oil?
The battery has nothing to do with the motor- a good deep cycle and your good to go. Post pictures and enjoy!

The only things I really worry about shelf life is gas and brake fluid, since those absorb water and moisture out of the air. Everything else I make sure I store out of the sun and I haven't had problems.