WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Suggestions on how to protect tools on work trucks

hboutlaw

Reaction score
I’ve read a lot of threads about theft (trucks, tools, cat converters…).
Has anyone found a solution to keep tools and supplies safe when on the work truck?
I have a buddy who is facing weekly losses in the thousands just related to burglary. This is primarily related to the theft of tools and material. They have solutions for cat converters. They have a possible solution to vehicle theft but it appears the cops are hesitant/resistant to help when the vehicle is located.
He’s looking for ideas to help curb the thefts and burglary and I’ve seen some really great ideas from this forum for other topics so trying this one. I searched for this but didn’t find anything related. Thanks

NicPaus

Reaction score
I park the 2 work rigs behind the gate with 2 German Shepherds. Left 1 truck out once and cost me 10k plus in tools stolen.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have two customers that keep their work trucks locked behind fences. They also only have enclosed rigs, plumbers trucks and 1ton vans. Materials in sight are easily picked off. The problem is when you have employees taking trucks home. Not locked up in a yard or a warehouse.

hallett21

Reaction score
I park the 2 work rigs behind the gate with 2 German Shepherds. Left 1 truck out once and cost me 10k plus in tools stolen.
Same program. And it was 10–15k the one night I left it outside the gate.

I know guys have had luck with the bars that lock over the boxes.

Edit. If the losses are truly thousands a week it’s time to get indoor storage or a proper storage yard with some sort of security (fences, lights, alarms etc).

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
I back my van in at my house . I figure it might help .🤷‍♂️

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Throw one of these guys in the bed and teach them to protect the truck at all costs ;)

E67FA054-82EC-45E0-A684-05C2BD4F3233.jpeg
AC99FB55-BCEB-4B20-8092-1A0223BFED52.jpeg

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
I’m small enough that I store all my tools in my daily driver. Just a 2500 with a trifold cover WHICH I DO NOT LOCK.

the thinking is that it looks like a grocery getter, 99% of the time a pickup with a Tanu cover is full of old newspaper and various trash and perhaps a shovel or a rake. NOTHING THAT WILL GET $20 AT THE PAWN SHOP. They just walk on by.

I do not lock it because if they do decide to get in, the lock won’t stop them and they will just fuck up my $1,200 cover and $70,000 truck in the process. My regular complement of tools would cost me about $5k (and a giant PITA) to replace if taken. I can do 95% of my work with those tools alone. When a specialty job is needed, I know in advance and load for that job. I have materials delivered to the job site.

This works for me, when (not if) I do get hit, I’ll be pissed but what you going to do?

DLC

Reaction score
Set up cameras and keep a big ol light on all night - LED dust to Dawn
park it behind a locked gate and get a dog or 2 - they will bark if anyone gets close.

set out alarm signs in the Frt yard, add cameras or dummy cameras in high visible areas

hboutlaw

Reaction score
These are all great ideas and hearing what has worked for others helps validate the method. There are many ways to solve this problem but I imagine it will be a hybrid for them. Nothing will be 100% but his current losses are killing his business and productivity. Thanks again RDP!

JDKRXW

Reaction score
If more than 1 truck, park them with rear bumpers touching. Very difficult to get in them that way, or you have to physically move one.