WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Summer of 78

jonnyd

Reaction score
It was the summer of 1978. I was 13 years old and growing up in Northern California. I lived out in the country and there wasn?t a lot to do, so when my grandparents asked if I wanted to spend the summer with them I was thrilled. They lived in Yucca Valley and I knew that I would have a great time exploring the desert on my old Kawasaki.

My uncle and my cousins lived a few miles away in Joshua Tree and so I ended up spending a lot of time with them. My two cousins were four years older than me, but they were nice enough to include me in whatever they were doing, I just had to keep up!

During the summer they would go to Lake Havasu just about every other weekend and I was invited. One of the greatest memory?s I still have today is driving out to the lake at night with all of my cousins. There were at least 6 of us in the truck and I remember how much fun we had cranking ?Hotel California? on the stereo.

My uncle had a 21? Sleekcraft with a 455 Olds and a Berkeley pump. That boat was the coolest thing I had ever seen and way faster than my Dads Glaspar. I was able to get behind the wheel and that was when I became hooked on boating! I would have waxed that boat every day just to get another chance to drive it.

I had a lot of fun that summer learning how to single ski, riding motorcycles, and just having fun with my family. These were the time?s that got me hooked on this sport that we all love. Even now when I?m driving to the lake I get excited the first moment I see the water! The sound of the water lapping the hull of the boat as I pull it off the trailer, the smell of gasoline and exhaust fumes mixed in with the lake water immediately remove all of the stress of life.

Your turn!!

Wozencraft

Reaction score
It was the summer of 1978. I was 13 years old and growing up in Northern California. I lived out in the country and there wasn?t a lot to do, so when my grandparents asked if I wanted to spend the summer with them I was thrilled. They lived in Yucca Valley and I knew that I would have a great time exploring the desert on my old Kawasaki.

My uncle and my cousins lived a few miles away in Joshua Tree and so I ended up spending a lot of time with them. My two cousins were four years older than me, but they were nice enough to include me in whatever they were doing, I just had to keep up!

During the summer they would go to Lake Havasu just about every other weekend and I was invited. One of the greatest memory?s I still have today is driving out to the lake at night with all of my cousins. There were at least 6 of us in the truck and I remember how much fun we had cranking ?Hotel California? on the stereo.

My uncle had a 21? Sleekcraft with a 455 Olds and a Berkeley pump. That boat was the coolest thing I had ever seen and way faster than my Dads Glaspar. I was able to get behind the wheel and that was when I became hooked on boating! I would have waxed that boat every day just to get another chance to drive it.

I had a lot of fun that summer learning how to single ski, riding motorcycles, and just having fun with my family. These were the time?s that got me hooked on this sport that we all love. Even now when I?m driving to the lake I get excited the first moment I see the water! The sound of the water lapping the hull of the boat as I pull it off the trailer, the smell of gasoline and exhaust fumes mixed in with the lake water immediately remove all of the stress of life.

Your turn!!

Great story, and great thread!