WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Summer vacation...Lava Hot Springs, ID, Jackson, WY, Ennis, MT and Island Park, ID (Yellowstone)

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Dave and Stacy's family vacation last year inspired this trip we will be taking at the end of June. Two weeks, stays in 4 RV parks, two National parks and lots of sightseeing. My parents just retired and will be making their way West starting May 1, so they will be joining us at our first stop, for the duration of the trip.

We'll be staying in Lava Hot Springs, ID for a few days, the head on to Jackson, WY. A few days there, then to Ennis, MT. After a few days there, almost a full week in Island Park, ID, to serve as base camp while we explore Yellowstone.

Any must-see or must-do suggestions in or around these locations? Always looking to make the trip best it can be.

JD D05

Reaction score
Where are you staying in Island Park?

I know all these areas well but this is all Island Park stuff. Eat at Ponds Lodge it's really good. Do the river float from Mack's Inn it takes about 4 hours but it a lot of fun. Go to Big Springs and feed the fish especially if you have kids going. Bill's Island has a fun little bar marina on island park reservoir. If you taking a side by side the whole area is connected, you could ride thousands of miles and not even put a dent in it.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
The hiking isn't a problem for us, but I'll have my 70ish y/o parents with us and don't want to leave them out if possible.

The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar in Jackson and floating the river in Lava Hot Springs are on the agenda.

We're at Valley View RV Park, same place Dave and Stacy stayed at last year. No kids on the trip. No SxS either, just a car or truck to get around in. We're considering making the 350 mile round trip drive to see the Beartooth Highway.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Make sure to go see Yellowstone Lake. It's 30 miles end to end. The view is pretty amazing.

Is the Grand Teatons on your list?

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Yup, we'll hit the Grand Tetons while we're in Jackson. We have 4 days in Yellowstone and a page full of stuff to see. Not sure if we will get to it all.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
We're considering making the 350 mile round trip drive to see the Beartooth Highway.
If you can swing it, the Bear Tooth is epic. You might consider an overnight stay in Red Lodge if you want to take your time. Make time to go to Virginia City Montana when you stay in Ennis. Some pretty good spots to eat in Ennis. https://mcallisterlodging.com/ is a must-stop for a fine meal and good drinks. You will need a reservation for dinner.
If you plan to fish when you stay in Ennis, get a drift boat trip, the walk and wade was a letdown. Pretty cool to drive down the canyon below Ennis Lake.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
If you can swing it, the Bear Tooth is epic. You might consider an overnight stay in Red Lodge if you want to take your time. Make time to go to Virginia City Montana when you stay in Ennis. Some pretty good spots to eat in Ennis. https://mcallisterlodging.com/ is a must-stop for a fine meal and good drinks. You will need a reservation for dinner.
If you plan to fish when you stay in Ennis, get a drift boat trip, the walk and wade was a letdown. Pretty cool to drive down the canyon below Ennis Lake.
It's on my to-see list for now. Can't overnight because the we have dogs that will be in the Moho waiting for us. I heard Ennis had some good grub and do plan to make dinner reservations there and in Jackson a few weeks in advance. This family don't fish. :)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Dave and Stacy's family vacation last year inspired this trip we will be taking at the end of June. Two weeks, stays in 4 RV parks, two National parks and lots of sightseeing. My parents just retired and will be making their way West starting May 1, so they will be joining us at our first stop, for the duration of the trip.

We'll be staying in Lava Hot Springs, ID for a few days, the head on to Jackson, WY. A few days there, then to Ennis, MT. After a few days there, almost a full week in Island Park, ID, to serve as base camp while we explore Yellowstone.

Any must-see or must-do suggestions in or around these locations? Always looking to make the trip best it can be.

This has to be the worst choice of names I've Ever seen!!

But if you can get past that...