WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sumo Springs

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Has anyone installed these? Looks super easy, and utube videos are really good. 2FF, are you listening? C class E450 with 5,500#’s front, 9,500#’s rear. Thing doesn’t really want to go straight - I’ve aligned it twice, they say it’s right on. Figured $200 couldn’t be too big of a mistake

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Has anyone installed these? Looks super easy, and utube videos are really good. 2FF, are you listening? C class E450 with 5,500#’s front, 9,500#’s rear. Thing doesn’t really want to go straight - I’ve aligned it twice, they say it’s right on. Figured $200 couldn’t be too big of a mistake
Yes, on my 2013 E450 Jayco.. I wouldn't say they helped with alignment but the sway on a bad road has been worlds better. Also, don't get the rocking back and forth in/out of driveways anymore...

Last time I had mine aligned I filled the fresh all the way and loaded all the gear...
Bilsteins and a front sway bar would also probably help.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

@2FORCEFULL

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I did the fronts. Helped big time with sway from trucks and wind. Ride improved a bit too. I still need to the rears. Just been lazy.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Get Sumo’s front and rear, install a roadmaster steering stabilizer and a larger Helwig front sway bar.

I just did this on my 2019 and it’s night and day to drive.

As said before you’re going to likely want more caster but just these small changes made it 90% better.

Next would be track bar but honestly it drives so well now I’m not really concerned any longer.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
U guys are GREAT!!! I’m going to do a Roadmaster also, but I wanted to do they separately to see how much each impacts

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
what is the chassis,.... I will say this, with the front... there is a multitude of spring # ratings and first check there... I've had poor results with putting sumos on the front because of the twin Ibeam suspension... there's just not much travel and the sumo's make it to harsh of a ride.... next, as said,..you need to have a min. of 5 Degrees caster..another problem for most drivers with the un equal axel length is as you are driving you can feel the steering wheel move back and forth,.. when this happens they over correct and start sawing at the wheel...the way I teach to correct this is to let go of the wheel and see that it is actually is going straight and needs no correction,... most e series are over sprung in the front causing the rear, which is softer to sway around...that is why I weigh every coach, then adjust the spring to match...cab over models need more spring weight than the b class... but uploaders always get the heavyest springs available...and most are wrong.. when I install the Sumo's on the rear I put them behind the axel... stops the pogo that putting them infront causes and makes them a more softer progression.. adding a bigger rear sway is a big help... have some one video you driving and make sure you aren't sawing the wheel with out knowing

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
another thing I want to mention about E fords... they have what many call bump steer,... but it's opposite , with bump steer, it cause's the front wheels to turn in different direction's, with the fords, it happens on the steering wheel,.... hope I worded that right... :D

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Don't see how they will help centering.
But on my older solid front axle ford f53 they helped the sway and slightly helped the initial jarring impact of california's great freeways expansion joints and pot holes.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
But on my older solid front axle ford f53 they helped the sway and slightly helped the initial jarring impact of california's great freeways expansion joints and pot holes.
depending on the year, some f53's didn't have a front tracking (panard bar ) and were plagued with a multitude of suspension problems , a big one was the shocks,... ford decided that bilstien didn't know how to valve shocks correct, so they contracted with bilsien to make shocks with their valving speck,... that why you can take the factory bilsiens off, put after maket bielstien on and net a huge improvement....on f53's a lot of people do whats called the CHF,... and it's exact that,. a cheep handling fix. when what was needed was the proper sway bar to be installed...putting a bandaid on a broken bone makes you feel like you done something...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
there's a lot of tuning that can be done with sumo's, I did R&D with jerry at sumo... and helpped with getting the kits tuned for a more over all package to be sent out...naturally a set up for a 26'r won't be the same as one for a 34'r... I have shied away from using sumos on the front for this reason... I off road with my rv,.. with the sumos it made it too harsh and stiff and took away wheel travel...beings the front isn't subject to a wide rage off weight change, I choose to just spring and shock to correct weight