WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sun fade on black buff or color sand?

Albert

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I have a area that is faded on the windshield of the boat. Whats best to do ? I know I know call a detailer . But what would it take to fix this also have some fading on the swim step

Gelcoater

Reaction score
View attachment 721274 View attachment 721273 View attachment 721272 I have a area that is faded on the windshield of the boat. Whats best to do ? I know I know call a detailer . But what would it take to fix this also have some fading on the swim step
I’d start with a compound and see if you can get away without sanding it.

From the pics that looks like a Lavey 24 Nu Era, late 90s/2000ish, and a full blended gel scheme.
So, the entire thing except the running surface has clear on it.
The black would be questionable if it was cleared but knowing Jeff he probably did clear it.
You’ll know soon after you put the pad to it. If it turns the pad blackish the clear is either gone or was never there.
If you wet sand the water will be milky white when you sand if it has clear, blackish gray if it doesn’t.
I’d avoidsanding if you can.

From the pics my bigger concern would be the sides.
3EC3F386-2125-4AF2-AB33-D9E49DE45A48.jpeg

Hard to tell in pics.
To me this looks like the beginnings of water intrusion. Like the boat has sat in the water for months.
Is the surface dimpled or bumpy?
Is the running surface bumpy at all? Look like blisters?

Albert

Reaction score
I think its just the angle of the pics I will post some better pics . Surface is smooth no dippling . I think it was the angle when I took that one . Thanks for the information on the sanding what grit is a good starting point if I have to go that route ?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I think its just the angle of the pics I will post some better pics . Surface is smooth no dippling . I think it was the angle when I took that one . Thanks for the information on the sanding what grit is a good starting point if I have to go that route ?
Like King said, applies to paper too. Start with the least aggressive you can get away with. Say, 1500?
And, very wet. With soapy water.
And, resist the urge to press hard.
Both with sanding pad and buffer.
The detail guys in the shops will at times let the weight of the buffer itself be the only pressure agains the pad.
And then lift from there, going even lighter.