WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sundance for Sale again.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Clayton Jr I believe stil owns it. Clayton senior’s son.

I’ve been in the house many times. I knew Clayton Sr and have known Jr for more years than I know.

Dave, I’ll tell you the whole jet ski story..... on our way to the Bahamas.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

NicPaus

Reaction score
Now Clayton hangs around the bars trying to sell shirts. Friend owned the big house behind that has been getting remodeled. Our High School river hang out up until early 2000s. Remember him knocking out Clayton for some reason. Clayton still hates him if you mentioned his name Lol.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Since the story includes the following, I am not sure I want the grief from those that don’t care for negligent boating.

High speed night boating with out lights
A conflict with anther boater in which I intentionally and “successfully” try to sink him, in front of Sundance with my jetovator. He stole my lights!
And a completely totaled boat..... mine
A night time high speed jump. I aired the boat at least a hundred yards..... if not more (This is where the story gets the wow factor. I am sure I must hold some unspoken record)
And I was drunk as hell

I just edited and added a fact. The boat I caused to sink, stole my lights earlier in the evening while I was at Roadrunner.

You'll get plenty of support from the rest of us that remember how it was back in those days...

Get busy writing!!!!!!!!! 😁

JBZ

Reaction score
Clayton Jr I believe stil owns it. Clayton senior’s son.

I’ve been in the house many times. I knew Clayton Sr and have known Jr for more years than I know.

Dave, I’ll tell you the whole jet ski story..... on our way to the Bahamas.
As I remember there was a rope swing inside the house.

old rigger

Reaction score
My river neighbor also met his wife there and her picture is also still on the wall, haha.

Are you talking about Mike and Cheryl?
My picture is on the wall too. Didn't meet my wife there but asked her to marry me there...actually we were swimming up river to the boat tied to a buoy when I asked her. 36years ago.

cofooter

Reaction score
Are you talking about Mike and Cheryl?
My picture is on the wall too. Didn't meet my wife there but asked her to marry me there...actually we were swimming up river to the boat tied to a buoy when I asked her. 36years ago.
Richard and Kathleen!

old rigger

Reaction score
Exactly, if it was priced to revenue it would be closer to $800k. But you can’t blame the owner for trying to pick up a buyer in these panic buying times.

It once was and will probably never be again. Glad I was there to be part of it in the 80’s-90’s.

As great as the 80's and 90's were it was the 70's that were epic at Sundance, especially before the fire. Biker bar, weapons checked and tagged at a little carnival booth on the road side entrance, pre AIDs. I'm getting misty eyed just thinking about it. There was 2 inches of piss in the mens restroom at all times though, maybe the girls too?

It was Rum Runners before it was Sundance, went in there when I was 15 and got the boot. Like @cofooter mentioned, for 3 years the AZ government tried an experiment by lowering the drinking age to 19, right when i turned 19, to see if it made any difference in drunk driving and causalities. You don't have to be a genius to know what the results were. By then we were all 21 though.

rumrunners.jpg

old rigger

Reaction score
Richard and Kathleen!

Don't know them, you know Stapes? Over in Marina View? Mike and I, and Rick your other neighbor, all graduated from high school together and I know they met at the river, not 100% it was Sundance though.

One2go

Reaction score
The lines to get in were crazy. We didn't care, we were 17/18 as well and trying to pass a fake ID. Most of the time, it worked........... about that same timeframe, we'd swim over there from Echo for the afternoon wet T-shirt contst. One time, my buddy got so drunk, he could not swim back. So, we swam back and he did not show up that night. Turns out he got popped walking back for Drunk in Public and spent the night in jail. Damn, those were fun times.........
[/QUOTE
Did you have a trailer at ECHO in late 80s and 90s ? I used to camp there around 84 then bought E5 back by dry storage, $3500 with easy go golf cart from a guy(mick)owned a waterbed store on beach blvd.LOL. We used to go to Sundance all the time,what great memories.had that place up tell 98 or so. You could sit in golf cart by the big rock face (by entrance to ECHO)and hear great acoustics from bands playing in the bar.Sad and Erie all the tales that place offers.!!

cofooter

Reaction score
Don't know them, you know Stapes? Over in Marina View? Mike and I, and Rick your other neighbor, all graduated from high school together and I know they met at the river, not 100% it was Sundance though.
Yep! I remember you telling me that, Richard is an old time River Rat, you may recognize him if you saw him. His parents had a place in Miraleste when it was a trailer park, then bought in Marina Manor when Miraleste closed. Trailer is directly across the canal from your families old one!

cofooter

Reaction score
Did you have a trailer at ECHO in late 80s and 90s ? I used to camp there around 84 then bought E5 back by dry storage, $3500 with easy go golf cart from a guy(mick)owned a waterbed store on beach blvd.LOL. We used to go to Sundance all the time,what great memories.had that place up tell 98 or so. You could sit in golf cart by the big rock face (by entrance to ECHO)and hear great acoustics from bands playing in the bar.Sad and Erie all the tales that place offers.!!

No, at a buddies family, the Sheridan's and another family from Orange county - forget their names..

old rigger

Reaction score
Yep! I remember you telling me that, Richard is an old time River Rat, you may recognize him if you saw him. His parents had a place in Miraleste when it was a trailer park, then bought in Marina Manor when Miraleste closed. Trailer is directly across the canal from your families old one!

Back in the day took one of my oldest friends to the river, I think we were 19, and as we were getting ready to take the boat out he looks across the canal to that place you mentioned and the girl he had just broken up with the day before back home was sitting under the awning. I thought she was some crazy bitch stalker but turns out her parents friends owned that place.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Richard LaRochelle. Retired plumber?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

No, at a buddies family, the Sheridan's and another family from Orange county - forget their names..

From the late 90's until the mid 2000's after the twins took it over is when I spent most of my time there.. The original glory days of the 80's and into the 90's I was too young for it. :(

RD

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I don't think you'll ever seen the foam parties and the strip club open again.
Personally I think the only thing to do to bring in business to the bar is turned it into a hotel and put slips in. The water is usually rough in that area, and your boat just bounces off the dock.

Or knock it down and build condos.... either way I think the property is worth more as just dirt.
They were running foam parties last 2 years.. not like the old days.. but off the dock. Love that place still.. food sucks..but I dont go there to eat😉

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
From the late 90's until the mid 2000's after the twins took it over is when I spent most of my time there.. The original glory days of the 80's and into the 90's I was too young for it. :(

RD

The 70's were the original glory days...

I remember being in the floating Sundance bar when it was so freaking packed, your feet were in the water! The weight of all the bodies was sinking the thing!

Nobody cared. Everyone was so f'n drunk, it really just didn't matter.

A lot off the peeps there were from 29 Palms Marine base. We all had long hair and those guys heads were shaved smooth! They would just stand against the wall with their eyes wide open, not believing what they were seeing. Those poor kids from bum fuck egypt, had Never seen partying like that in their lives!

The whole thing started winding down once the London Bridge became the new hot spot, the drinking age was changed from 19 to 21 in 84, and 29 Palms was scaled back.

In the mid 70's, there was not one square inch of AZ shoreline that didn't have a dome tent hogging it up. People were water skiing naked pretty much all the time. You'd see peeps fucking on their boats in broad daylight.

It really was fucking insane. Thinking about it just makes me smile...

:cool:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I remember being in the floating Sundance bar when it was so freaking packed, your feet were in the water! The weight of all the bodies was sinking the thing!

A lot off the peeps there were from 29 Palms Marine base. We all had long hair and those guys heads were shaved smooth! They would just stand against the wall with their eyes wide open, not believing what they were seeing. Those poor kids from bum fuck egypt, had Never seen partying like that in their lives!

The whole thing started winding down once the London Bridge became the new hot spot, the drinking age was changed from 19 to 21 in 84, and 29 Palms was scaled back.

In the mid 70's, there was not one square inch of AZ shoreline that didn't have a dome tent hogging it up. People were water skiing naked pretty much all the time. You'd see peeps fucking on their boats in broad daylight.

That went on all through the 80's as well.. I remember it quite well. Then Parker and everywhere else kinda died off when they segregated the Spring breaks of all the schools.. Then Parker had a resurgence in the 90's, then the cops ran everyone off.. and it never really recovered.

I didn't really spend anytime in Parker last year, but the year before that it was completely out of control with the cops. If you were on a boat at sundown it was 100% you were getting pulled over.. At night if they weren't already harassing someone else then you are getting rolled as well. Really sad what was happening down there, I am surprised the local business owners didn't get together and fight for change to be honest.

I'm not sure what it's like right now..

RD

RVRKID

Reaction score
I remember sitting out on our dock in the 70’s or out on our boat when the Sundance pontoon would go by with topless girls. Then one time my older sister starts screaming because some guy was skiing naked. Damn I wish I was 10 years older back then to have been able to party there.

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
I loved Sundance.. One of the things I remember the most was all the boats idling out in front of the dock and the girls flashing the dock and vice versa.. LOL. Was great when you are 15-16 years old and had a boat!

RD
If you go to a site called one click chicks and do a search for pictures from a boat festival there are some R rated pictures from years past. There used to be a few posts on the thread, now there is only one with pictures.

framer1

Reaction score
One of the problems in earlier times was how much it cost the owner in labor, just to open. It literally takes 4 times the number of employees as it would take at Fox’s because it was 18,000 square feet. One of the early new owners sectioned off the bar, so that they did not have to open up the whole thing just to do business. The early days were insane!

Just so you know how old I am...... I have been in all 4 Sundances. Yes 4. However, one burnt down so fast, I was only in that one once. The first one was very similar to Fox’s. A small floating bar with dock. I crawled in packing a diaper! Lol I was actually a little older. Maybe 5,6, or 7

Boatcop might remember this, but in the 60’s they had a thing in the lower river valley called “The Shoot”. It was an agricultural dam on a water canal. When it would be open, it made for a wild ride, for the those who jumped into the blasting water, that shot you several hundred yards down range.... if not more. You would go out there and there would be a ton of people either going off the shoot or spectating. It was a real party. It was shut down when I turned 8.

I used to go there when it was called the Rum Runner....that was in the sixties. That place was wild.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Lots of cool history, kind of makes me sad that I was never there in the early years, god knows I'm old enough. Being from SoCal we were lucky to get the the river a couple times a year, but our crowd was always a Katherine's or Havasu group, still some good times.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
My college girlfriend told me a funny story when I first met her. I asked her is she had ever been to the river?

To summarize the story she told me, ........ it went something like this.

She and her girlfriend went to Roadrunner and drank 2 roadrappers each...... 1 hour later, they were both being buttfucked for the first time on the bow of a boat in front of Sundance. I swear that’s a true story!

nowski

Reaction score
Back in the 70's and early 80"s we went to the river for these 7 things, Girls, Sundance, Rock Palace, Suds, Skiing and Boats. Sundance was always high on the list...

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Was it Sundance where the great
“Conquest deck boat” story took place?!
It was Foxs...that is, if it is the story I believe you are referring to. [emoji846]

Sent From Tapatalk

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
My college girlfriend told me a funny story when I first met her. I asked her is she had ever been to the river?

She and her girlfriend went to Roadrunner and drank 2 roadrappers each...... 1 hour later, they were both being buttfucked for the first time on the bow of a boat in front of Sundance. I swear that’s a true story!

Sound like some fun girls.....lol

C-2

Reaction score
Just like somebody else, a good friend of ours was a bartender at Sundance and she met her husband there.

Good times for sure, the place is iconic.🤘

Taboma

Reaction score
Mid 70's Sundance, camping at La Paz and pulling up late afternoon in the Hondo flatty. 👍
Returning by road later to drink the night away. Enjoying all the memories this thread reminds me of ---- except one, that's either not been mentioned or I overlooked.

That Fucking Monkey 🤬🤬🤬

Coming in for breakfast, hungover and feeling like shit, just trying to keep my head from exploding and now having to fight off that damned Simian piece of shit trying to steal my bacon and keep him at bay so he wouldn't piss on me. I hate those dirty vile creatures, unless they're locked in a cage. And here I was hung over, trying to spar against one with my breakfast and sanity at stake and that prick is bouncing off the walls and swinging over my head.

I had day dreams of coming back armed and blowing his ass away.
Following year returned and thank GOD he was missing, rumor was somebody did in fact blow his hairy ass away ???
Then I sold the Hondo flat, bought a 20' I/O with a small cuddy and started beach camping at Havasu, haven't been on the strip since 76'.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

So allllll of that back then, and today you guys won’t drive down Rice Road, and won’t tow your jet skis with anything less than an F550. :)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That went on all through the 80's as well.. I remember it quite well. Then Parker and everywhere else kinda died off when they segregated the Spring breaks of all the schools.. Then Parker had a resurgence in the 90's, then the cops ran everyone off.. and it never really recovered.

I didn't really spend anytime in Parker last year, but the year before that it was completely out of control with the cops. If you were on a boat at sundown it was 100% you were getting pulled over.. At night if they weren't already harassing someone else then you are getting rolled as well. Really sad what was happening down there, I am surprised the local business owners didn't get together and fight for change to be honest.

I'm not sure what it's like right now..

RD

It's settled down some...

The weekends are still a bit busier than normal, but mid week is how it should be. It is the middle of winter though. And of course, there are a whole lot less snow birds this year. Covid's silver lining I guess. :p

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

So you married her I assume?