WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Sunk Houseboat Lake Powell

Dontmiss

Reaction score
No offense but we don't know who you are, or your intentions with the houseboat. I don't think you will get your answer here.
No offense taken. I was headed to the lake this weekend and was going to drop a live video camera down to look at its condition. I was wondering about the damage after hitting the bottom. Is it sitting up right? What is the actual depth? But, now I am more curious about the list of intentions that went through your head. What intentions could someone have with a houseboat 300 feet under water?

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
No offense taken. I was headed to the lake this weekend and was going to drop a camera down to look at its condition. I was wondering about the damage after hitting the bottom. Is it sitting up right? What is the actual depth? But, now I am more curious about the list of intentions that went through your head. What intentions could someone have with a houseboat 300 feet under water? Let the comments about putting a camera down begin.
What type of camera you going to use and what type of lighting?
The boat is in apx 350‘ of water and no one really knows where it landed, since it most likely drifted some once under water. Park Service has not even mapped it to confirm exact location.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Just had a pretty sad thought. In my head, I had pictured it sinking, and laying flat, like a one piece version of the Titanic. This particular scenario is different though. There isn't the same sea floor or large open space. The canyon walls probably taper in. Since it was close to the side, and relatively high profile, it may have "rolled" it's way to the bottom:(

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
No offense taken. I was headed to the lake this weekend and was going to drop a camera down to look at its condition. I was wondering about the damage after hitting the bottom. Is it sitting up right? What is the actual depth? But, now I am more curious about the list of intentions that went through your head. What intentions could someone have with a houseboat 300 feet under water? Let the comments about putting a camera down begin.
It’s pretty easy to figure out. Lots of new stories on this.

Dontmiss

Reaction score
Just had a pretty sad thought. In my head, I had pictured it sinking, and laying flat, like a one piece version of the Titanic. This particular scenario is different though. There isn't the same sea floor or large open space. The canyon walls probably taper in. Since it was close to the side, and relatively high profile, it may have "rolled" it's way to the bottom:(
That is what I was thinking. It may have been traveling at a good clip, hit and rolled multiple times. The uneven rocks…the boat could be in terrible shape.

Dontmiss

Reaction score
What type of camera you going to use and what type of lighting?
The boat is in apx 350‘ of water and no one really knows where it landed, since it most likely drifted some once under water. Park Service has not even mapped it to confirm exact location.
Great point about the drift. Consider how the water would fill a sinking house boat. How many spaces are there to hold air? It looks like the back door was open. My guess, based on how slowly it sank on the surface, the air was almost completely out. Would this be like a rock dropping? When, if or how would the windows blow out?

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
How cute, RDP members trying to keep a secret 🤣;)
Oh good Lord, the mind spins with the nefarious possibilities the mysterious Dontmiss could be planning for that sunken treasure. :rolleyes:o_O

77charger

Reaction score
Don’t see big deal giving spot away you ain’t going down that deep unless you have special equipment anyways. But if you study a lil more won’t be hard to find the area.

Sherpa

Reaction score
Tech rebreathers can do it….

Maybe a 20-30 bounce dive with about 4+ hours of deco. No thanks.

It’s gonna be dark af at that depth.

hallett21

Reaction score
By the time the water is low enough won’t all of the hazardous materials have leaked out? What’s the point of going to get it?

Definitely not worth sending bodies down there to hook it, rover makes sense if you HAVE to go get it.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Tech rebreathers can do it….

Maybe a 20-30 bounce dive with about 4+ hours of deco. No thanks.

It’s gonna be dark af at that depth.
I've been down about 45 feet in what I thought was fairly clear water up top at Powell. It was dark as night at that depth. Bright sunny day too. I can imagine at anything past 70-80ft is pitch black without lights.

I don't think its much of a salvage deal at this point. It's more that the park service and feds want it up.

Boat 405

Reaction score
No offense taken. I was headed to the lake this weekend and was going to drop a live video camera down to look at its condition. I was wondering about the damage after hitting the bottom. Is it sitting up right? What is the actual depth? But, now I am more curious about the list of intentions that went through your head. What intentions could someone have with a houseboat 300 feet under water?
Who knows it could be pointing bow up and stern down up against the wall. It could be flat on the bottom, it could be upside down. It's anyones guess at this point.

Ol Man

Reaction score
Has anyone asked Heavy D (Dave Sparks) to pull it up? Would be quite the video for him.

Sherpa

Reaction score
my deepest rec dive was 138 (the first dives after getting certified. lol. Monterey Monastery North in the trench. bright day that day.

2 of our divemasters liked to "bump" dive. hit 200 or deeper, for 5 minutes. come up slow...... not for me....
I dove with tech rebreather guys in Roatan Honduras...... it took them 2-3 hours to re-set up their rigs after their 250' wreck
dives....... 4 hour deco's....... 1.5 hour dives I think......... it's equipment-heavy........

that boat is gonna be toast...... they would need BIG-ASS barges to straddle it to bring it up. it's gonna be beat.
pure scrap. all of it.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
Who knows it could be pointing bow up and stern down up against the wall. It could be flat on the bottom, it could be upside down. It's anyones guess at this point.
I would not be surprised if the upper levels have been separated from the lower. That thing is probably the several pieces with a huge debris field.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of dropping a camera down there with a light on it to try and see the condition of this thing but as noted above about how dark it will be down there, I think finding it would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Drift of boat on it's way down, did it make it all the way down or is it on a shelf, did current take it further down channel, what terrain would the camera hit and not be able to get around on the way down, how do you know direction camera is facing? These are all the challenges I can think of but I'm sure there's more. Cool story bro but seems like somebody might be fishing for a little bit more than a glimpse of this thing.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Imagine don't dontmiss was hired bu the insurance company to assess the situation. Hopefully he posts video and let's us know what he finds.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Imagine don't dontmiss was hired bu the insurance company to assess the situation. Hopefully he posts video and let's us know what he finds.

why would he share with us if we wont share with him??😉🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
How cute, RDP members trying to keep a secret 🤣;)
Oh good Lord, the mind spins with the nefarious possibilities the mysterious Dontmiss could be planning for that sunken treasure. :rolleyes:o_O
Have you read the book Shadow Divers?

Not saying anyone has a particular agenda, but in today's world, imagine someone deciding he and his buddies could dive it. They use location information from a post on a forum.

They all die.

Family members investigate, and follow the bread crumbs to the forum. They find the location posts, and the poster that made them. A wrongful death lawsuit is filed. Etc and so on.

It could happen, in our fucked up world with victims at every turn.

Taboma

Reaction score
Have you read the book Shadow Divers?

Not saying anyone has a particular agenda, but in today's world, imagine someone deciding he and his buddies could dive it. They use location information from a post on a forum.

They all die.

Family members investigate, and follow the bread crumbs to the forum. They find the location posts, and the poster that made them. A wrongful death lawsuit is filed. Etc and so on.

It could happen, in our fucked up world with victims at every turn.

Alrighty then. 🤔

I've not read the book, or am I familiar with the story.

We've got members advocating to other members to commit acts of extreme violence for having a catalytic convertor stolen, or hell, you name it, on this forum daily and you pick the offering the vague location of a sunken houseboat to make this example of ??

Then let me bring up one far more close to home for us both.

Let's Imagine a couple of old sparkys (Or one of the younger ones), posting on a forum, providing rather specific electrical knowledge to assist a fellow member with a project.
He and other members read this information, a critical mistake is made by one of the members, or a small detail was omitted, and there's a resulting tragedy.
That seems far more specific and prone to litigation than bread crumbs of an approximate location of a sunken vessel.

I used this example specifically because in all honesty this has been a concern of mine, for two reasons.
One of course being, that information for a number of reasons from lack of knowledge, to skill level to improper information, all those can result in somebody getting hurt or worse.
The second, being exactly this, a gift of assistance resulting in expensive litigation.

Given my concerns in this regard, I do try to gauge the level of my assistance based on what I perceive to be the abilities of the member AND the nature of the question being asked.
In this regard, there are some threads I avoid completely.

My intent, as has yours, has been to always provide information as per code, with safety as the # 1 factor.
As you are well aware, and many other members will recall, this hasn't always been met with grateful acceptance or appreciation.

" It could happen, in our fucked up world with victims at every turn."

You read this forum, we have advisements being offered by members daily be it from guns, to ammo, to engines, to boat electrical, brakes, navigation, SxS modifications, medical, to sex for shit's sake. The list is damn near endless.

What are you proposing exactly, we all just stop posting anything that even remotely could be construed as offering "Bread Crumbs" ?

merc_400r

Reaction score
My intent, as has yours, has been to always provide information as per code, with safety as the # 1 factor.
As you are well aware, and many other members will recall, this hasn't always been met with grateful acceptance or appreciation.

I agree with you. I have seen members doing something unsafe or plain wrong and people have posted links to correct instructions or codes they are violating and they were told to "go pound sand" or "there are many ways to do something, I'll do it my way". I think many people are on here to just show off and not really trying to learn. If you don't just say just nice things they cry about everyone being negative and how this is not a safe space.

Taboma

Reaction score
I agree with you. I have seen members doing something unsafe or plain wrong and people have posted links to correct instructions or codes they are violating and they were told to "go pound sand" or "there are many ways to do something, I'll do it my way". I think many people are on here to just show off and not really trying to learn. If you don't just say just nice things they cry about everyone being negative and how this is not a safe space.
I've authored far more posts than I've submitted, after due consideration, if you know what I mean 🤣

Your ad here

Reaction score
The boat was hauling very sought after items. Everything was low key and and off the radar until the fuck up of hitting shore and sinking, taking the items with it. I would be after those items but I already have 10mm sockets for 1/4 and 3/8 drives. Best of luck to you @Dontmiss.

rrrr

Reaction score
Alrighty then. 🤔

I've not read the book, or am I familiar with the story.

We've got members advocating to other members to commit acts of extreme violence for having a catalytic convertor stolen, or hell, you name it, on this forum daily and you pick the offering the vague location of a sunken houseboat to make this example of ??

Then let me bring up one far more close to home for us both.

Let's Imagine a couple of old sparkys (Or one of the younger ones), posting on a forum, providing rather specific electrical knowledge to assist a fellow member with a project.
He and other members read this information, a critical mistake is made by one of the members, or a small detail was omitted, and there's a resulting tragedy.
That seems far more specific and prone to litigation than bread crumbs of an approximate location of a sunken vessel.

I used this example specifically because in all honesty this has been a concern of mine, for two reasons.
One of course being, that information for a number of reasons from lack of knowledge, to skill level to improper information, all those can result in somebody getting hurt or worse.
The second, being exactly this, a gift of assistance resulting in expensive litigation.

Given my concerns in this regard, I do try to gauge the level of my assistance based on what I perceive to be the abilities of the member AND the nature of the question being asked.
In this regard, there are some threads I avoid completely.

" It could happen, in our fucked up world with victims at every turn."

You read this forum, we have advisements being offered by members daily be it from guns, to ammo, to engines, to boat electrical, brakes, navigation, SxS modifications, medical, to sex for shit's sake. The list is damn near endless.

What are you proposing exactly, we all just stop posting anything that even remotely could be construed as offering "Bread Crumbs" ?

I am not proposing anything.

I'm merely laying out a scenario that is within the realm of possibility. I don't advocate violence, nor do I know anyone that might engage in my hypothetical observation.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Anyone have an update on this?
Last I read hear, and I’m paraphrasing,

The boat is in 300’ of water. It’s either destroyed, or on the bottom.

There is a race to see who can locate it and video it. If the 100 lb bag of rare gold coins is found, their sending a remote down to retrieve it.

The team that gets there first, gets the gold. Their using it in next years series of Gold Rush. 🤣

JFMFG

Reaction score

There is a race to see who can locate it and video it. If the 100 lb bag of rare gold coins is found, their sending a remote down to retrieve it.

The team that gets there first, gets the gold. Their using it in next years series of Gold Rush. 🤣
So what you’re saying is only one team knows how to dive so Dustin and Fred are getting the gold? No fuckin way 😂😂

hman442

Reaction score

It'll be Parker for the win