WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Super C anyone?

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Anyone here own one or directly know someone who does? The wife and I are looking to upgrade from the AF 1150 cabover as it is a little tight with the kid. I saw one locally and really liked it. We are also looking at A pushers. We would be looking used but have a decent budget. We want a family friendly unit and not buying junk.
I like the engine access, seating position, and driver door of the super C. We also like the overhead bed for the kid. We are looking in the low to mid 30' range.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Good luck w your search, always loved the look and practicality of those!
Free bump.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I went and drove a used one today and will probably make an offer on it tomorrow. A jayco Seneca 34ss. 2007 Chevy 5500 duramax.

TripleB

Reaction score
Over the last 30 years I’ve owned and driven a lot of motor homes, class C, class A single axle, class A tag axle and Super C. Brand names, Winnebago, Monaco, Country Coach, Newell and Renegade.

We use our motor homes to show horses, put on about 40,000 miles a year and a lot of living in them.

IMHO for towing/driving the super C gets my vote. After driving any class A for 10 hours I felt spent upon arriving, the super C makes me feeling like driving a car, way more energy arriving.

Every motor home has plus and minus, the biggest down fall of the super C vs class A is turning radius. The HUGE plus for us is towing capacity, just remember a class A was built to be a motor home and an after thought to trailer, the super C was designed to be a truck first and a motor home later.

Bottom line, it’s going to depend on how you will use it, and what you want for living space.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Over the last 30 years I’ve owned and driven a lot of motor homes, class C, class A single axle, class A tag axle and Super C. Brand names, Winnebago, Monaco, Country Coach, Newell and Renegade.

We use our motor homes to show horses, put on about 40,000 miles a year and a lot of living in them.

IMHO for towing/driving the super C gets my vote. After driving any class A for 10 hours I felt spent upon arriving, the super C makes me feeling like driving a car, way more energy arriving.

Every motor home has plus and minus, the biggest down fall of the super C vs class A is turning radius. The HUGE plus for us is towing capacity, just remember a class A was built to be a motor home and an after thought to trailer, the super C was designed to be a truck first and a motor home later.

Bottom line, it’s going to depend on how you will use it, and what you want for living space.

What super C have you had and what size horse trailer do you pull with how many horses? Asking because we have been thinking about selling our 5th wheel RV and getting a 4 horse living quarters. We have a CM 3 horse slant bumper pull now that we would still keep for local events.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Can't afford one yet, but I've worked on and driven 2 Seneca coaches with Duramax setups. One was stock, the other has a Bullydog tune. The one with the tune gets better mileage, and drives like a car. That particular guy hauls a 3 axle enclosed, painted to match, about a 28ft. It handles the weight fine, but the overhang causes the hitch to drag if not careful...this guy isn't careful:rolleyes:
The nice thing is, drivetrain parts are pretty available at GM dealers, not just RV or heavy places. Makes it a little better for stuff on the road.

phuggit

Reaction score
We have a 2019 Seneca HJ. We love it. Easy to drive, easy to maintain myself.

It's a motorhome so there is always something that needs repairing, but the chassis and engine have been solid.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We have a 2019 Seneca HJ. We love it. Easy to drive, easy to maintain myself.

It's a motorhome so there is always something that needs repairing, but the chassis and engine have been solid.

We are interested in the Jayco and have checked them out over the last few weeks.

Did you buy new? If so what dealer. Prices seems to fluctuate pretty good.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I have an 05 Gulfstream Super C on the C5500 Kodiak with the 8.1/allison. We love it. Of all the RV's we own/have owned, it gets used the most. Ours turns super sharp, tows trailers great, etc. Theres times we will drive it to dinner instead of one of the other vehicles, just because the kids say lets take the Moho.

My dad has an ~09 or so Supernova on the DT4200 IH chassis with the VT365, and he loves it as well. Hes had a bunch of Class A's, and this one is his fave so far.

IMG_3513 (003).JPG

bagged97taco

Reaction score
I have an 05 Gulfstream Super C on the C5500 Kodiak with the 8.1/allison. We love it. Of all the RV's we own/have owned, it gets used the most. Ours turns super sharp, tows trailers great, etc. Theres times we will drive it to dinner instead of one of the other vehicles, just because the kids say lets take the Moho.

My dad has an ~09 or so Supernova on the DT4200 IH chassis with the VT365, and he loves it as well. Hes had a bunch of Class A's, and this one is his fave so far.

View attachment 848802
What do you get for mpg with the 8.1l.

TripleB

Reaction score
What super C have you had and what size horse trailer do you pull with how many horses? Asking because we have been thinking about selling our 5th wheel RV and getting a 4 horse living quarters. We have a CM 3 horse slant bumper pull now that we would still keep for local events.

We have a 45 ft Renegade Ikon, we dont pull any horses but pull a 30ft renegade stacker trailer, my daughter has a 4 horse living quarters that pulls great behind a one ton dually

Attachments

• IMG_6551.JPG
    IMG_6551.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_4853.JPG
    IMG_4853.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 271

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We have a 45 ft Renegade Ikon, we dont pull any horses but pull a 30ft renegade stacker trailer, my daughter has a 4 horse living quarters that pulls great behind a one ton dually
Beautiful rig! I like the horse trailer too, but the Renegades are nice. I have a buddy with a 30ish ft single slide.

I take it they aren't too picky about the length out by you? You have to be pushing near 80ft...I got a warning once in Cali running 72ft...but that was Cali.

TripleB

Reaction score
By us? We trailer all over, Ohio, Florida, Texas, Nebraska never have had an issue

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
At one point, 65 was the legal limit for most states. Some have motor carrier and ag rules that allowed for overlength. I really think it comes down to the rig and purpose though. Team logos and themes draw more attention than a nicely detailed/more privately owned deal.

I've wanted to build a toter, but my open trailer is a shade over 50ft from hitch to tail. My stacker is only 38...both are goose. I need a bigger tow rig, if not for legalities, just for added peace of mind.

phuggit

Reaction score
We are interested in the Jayco and have checked them out over the last few weeks.

Did you buy new? If so what dealer. Prices seems to fluctuate pretty good.
Yes we purchased new. We bought it from Richardsons RV. We got a little better than 30% less than MSRP.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Yes we purchased new. We bought it from Richardsons RV. We got a little better than 30% less than MSRP.

Thanks, visited the one in Riverside a few weeks ago.

Any warranty issues? I've heard a lot of them get water damage from the slide area with insufficient caulking. Causing slides to be rebuilding in a matter of years.

hawgty55

Reaction score
I want to try the super Cs next but man there pricey. There is a garage kept gulfstream like @pwerwagn above with an 8.1 guy wants 55k out here in Texas. Just cant see it worth that much compared do my classA diesel.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
What do you get for mpg with the 8.1l.

Depends what I'm doing with it. I can say, that when we stop at gas stations...I sometimes use more than my buddies with pushers, and sometimes use the same amount. Our "usual" trips (lake, silverton, etc), I tend to get about 7-7.5mpg, and thats with a trailer behind it (usually between 25 and 26Klbs total). And I DONT drive it for mileage, I let er eat as often as possible. It runs pretty good, It will run circles around the International my dad has, but he is about 4K heavier than me too.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I want to try the super Cs next but man there pricey. There is a garage kept gulfstream like @pwerwagn above with an 8.1 guy wants 55k out here in Texas. Just cant see it worth that much compared do my classA diesel.

I agree with you. No way would I pay 55K for mine if it was pristine. There was a pristine 4wd converted duramax version on glamis dunes recently for like 70K, and it sold quick.

FWIW, I paid like 22K for mine with 41K miles. Was a theft recovery/salvage title. Its been a great coach though.

phuggit

Reaction score
Thanks, visited the one in Riverside a few weeks ago.

Any warranty issues? I've heard a lot of them get water damage from the slide area with insufficient caulking. Causing slides to be rebuilding in a matter of years.
We have 5k miles and so far there have been no issues with the slides. The refrigerator cabinet needed to be rebuilt to hold the weight of the residential fridge and there were a couple recalls on the engine and generator. It took them two days to fix the cabinet and the others were fixed in a day.

If you can wait until the 2021 models are released, you may get a better deal. That's what we did. Good luck.

hawgty55

Reaction score
572127236.jpg
@pwerwagn ive talked to him a couple times cause my buddy was interested. And i was thinking of it if he backed out but it would definitely have to start with a 3 for me to go from diesel to gas. Also this one only has 1 slide and 50 gal of water i believe?

But i have blue booked them and hold value well for an RV.

Last edited:

SOD

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with this one. 2008 with 20k with the 8.1 and allison. Living room and bedroom slides. I'm far from a MH guru. I just like driving a truck versus the class A. Wet camping is obviously a piece of cake, but two people at KOH for 5 days pretty much takes care of the tanks.

Jayco 01.jpg
Jayco 02.jpg

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I just finished the deal on a 2008 jayco seneca 34ss. will pick up in a week when back from vacation. View attachment 849254
This is somewhere near what I am looking for , probably a little newer though. Tank size is a real issue for me and the family as almost all of our camping is dry.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
It is all about the chassis, more gvwr, more motor more money, I have driven most and if I am choosing one to tow it would have the cummins ISL at a minimum, most are Freightliner M2-106 chassis with 26,000 gvwr-- no duramax, or ISB if you tow the hills.
If you want to tow heavy Dynamax is looking to option the XL with a DD13 allison 4000 on the Freightliner M2-112

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score

Nice setup! We almost bought this one in 2012 but opted to buy the river house instead. Then I do a little web search yesterday and find it for sale again. I called the guy right away and he said it was an old add and that he sold it last year. Apparently it went to Maine. Damn it I missed it again! If anyone ever sees it up for sale again please let me know.

McKay

Reaction score
Why do most all Super C's and C's have such a huge overhang? A lot more wheel base sure would make towing better and not to mention going off road a little.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
We have always talked about a motor home when we retire...and I have always been interested in a Super C. I had some time today and was browsing the craigslist and found this. Don’t recall seeing this platform before.

1590692305194.jpeg

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
We have always talked about a motor home when we retire...and I have always been interested in a Super C. I had some time today and was browsing the craigslist and found this. Don’t recall seeing this platform before.

The Isata's are cool! If i remember right, certain models weigh dang near the GVW empty, but I forget which model that is.

Performance Grips

Reaction score

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
That is a very cool rig, but as mentioned above, not really a super c by most definitions. Now the builders are slapping that label on anything over a 1 ton van as it has a marketing component, but still not really a super C. Just a 4wd standard class C.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
That is a very cool rig, but as mentioned above, not really a super c by most definitions. Now the builders are slapping that label on anything over a 1 ton van as it has a marketing component, but still not really a super C. Just a 4wd standard class C.

I searched Super C but in their ad this is listed as a Class C.

Just noticed that.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Dynamax Isata 5
Dodge 5500 4x4 optional 19,500 GVW 360HP&800ft lbs torque
They have 3 models 2 of which have very low CCC, the third is a brand new model 28SS aimed at off grid. iti s 30'-11" has around 2700lbs CCC, 800 watts solar 400AH lithium.

Nexus is just now unveiling the "REBEL" built on the international CV platform (oversized GM) 4x4 option 22,000 GVW
They alos have the TRIUMPH, WRAITH, GHOST al on the dura star but no 4x4 option and varying engine/trans ratings. The ghost has the same cummins as the dodge 5500 360/800 but with the allison 3000, which I would take over the aisin if this had 4x4.

Attachments

• 81988166_1506214392876762_1517250880108232704_n.jpg
    81988166_1506214392876762_1517250880108232704_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 83

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Dynamax Isata 5
Dodge 5500 4x4 optional 19,500 GVW 360HP&800ft lbs torque
They have 3 models 2 of which have very low CCC, the third is a brand new model 28SS aimed at off grid. iti s 30'-11" has around 2700lbs CCC, 800 watts solar 400AH lithium.

Nexus is just now unveiling the "REBEL" built on the international CV platform (oversized GM) 4x4 option 22,000 GVW
They alos have the TRIUMPH, WRAITH, GHOST al on the dura star but no 4x4 option and varying engine/trans ratings. The ghost has the same cummins as the dodge 5500 360/800 but with the allison 3000, which I would take over the aisin if this had 4x4.
If looking at a Durastar platform, check into reviews of their current owners. I don't know if they revamped the egr cooler design, but some had issues. Like a 6 leaker Ford, it starts losing coolant and no trace. I did 2 this year, Bulletproof makes a replacement...8 bills maybe. You have to pull the exhaust and compounds off to replace. Not bad, just labor intensive...which equates to possible out of pocket if on the road or not tooled up to do it yourself. Motor and auto stick type trans works good though.

Reactions: SOD

cuz_im_CR

Reaction score
IMG_1770.jpg

I’ll be listing this one for sale. It’s a 33ft with single slide and a duramax. 50k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Seneca.jpg

We love our Seneca. We've only owned it a year and half. 2008 with 40K. Owner kept all the receipts, regular service and replaced the radiator in 2018. Has been bulletproof for us.