WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Super Duty

Community

Reaction score
What are the years to avoid on the diesel? Was it 2004 & 2005? You have any crew cab, lb 4 x 4 in torreador red?

shadow

Reaction score
What are the years to avoid on the diesel? Was it 2004 & 2005? You have any crew cab, lb 4 x 4 in torreador red?

Stay away from any year 6.0 diesel!!
There is no good years and anyone of them will be a gamble.Be prepared for towing and expensive repairs.
EGR coolers,Oil coolers,Injectors,Head gaskets due to weak/stretched head bolts,EGR valves,IPR's,FICM's,High pressure oil pump,rear main seals,block plate leaks rear of the engine.The list goes on i have seen alot of them that have many miles and relatively low problems but i have seen 10x as many that have been nightmares.If you are set on a 6.0 & If you are buying from from a dealer get the best extended warranty you can get.

Community

Reaction score
Is out - got it. Looking for a v-10, long bed, 4 x 4 crew in torrador red, bonus with a sunroof......

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Becareful with the v-10 also. There are problems with some of those also. Im not sure what years or exactly what to watch out for. Im sure others will chime in....

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Stay away from any year 6.0 diesel!!
There is no good years and anyone of them will be a gamble.Be prepared for towing and expensive repairs.
EGR coolers,Oil coolers,Injectors,Head gaskets due to weak/stretched head bolts,EGR valves,IPR's,FICM's,High pressure oil pump,rear main seals,block plate leaks rear of the engine.The list goes on i have seen alot of them that have many miles and relatively low problems but i have seen 10x as many that have been nightmares.If you are set on a 6.0 & If you are buying from from a dealer get the best extended warranty you can get.

Why haven't they designed a new egr cooler? Everything I read points the cooler doing damage to everything else.

Anyhow, mine broke again last week under warranty. Ford offered me a free extended warranty. So they can keep fixing it for three more years.

shadow

Reaction score
Becareful with the v-10 also. There are problems with some of those also. Im not sure what years or exactly what to watch out for. Im sure others will chime in....

I may be wrong but i worked for Ford for over 15yrs heavyline and the only problem i have seen with any of the 3 tritons 4.6/5.4/6.8 engines were all due to lack of maint.
Due the maintinence on them and they will treat you good.

shadow

Reaction score
Why haven't they designed a new egr cooler? Everything I read points the cooler doing damage to everything else.

Anyhow, mine broke again last week under warranty. Ford offered me a free extended warranty. So they can keep fixing it for three more years.

Normally not the EGR cooler at fault,normally the oil cooler gets restricted being the cause and the EGR cooler is the weak link.But you are correct they should have come up with a better egr cooler,instead they just made a oil cooler kit and put the same 2 coolers back in over and over.There are alot of aftermarket coolers on the market now that are much stronger with better flow.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I unplug my egr valve and drive with the cel light on. Tired of it breaking.

thetub

Reaction score

Bullet Proof Diesel in Arizona makes a very good aftermarket egr cooler and oil cooler kit. It will probably void your warranty though.

www.bulletproofdiesel.com

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Towed in on flat bed again this afternoon. Exact same problem as last three times, no power and smokes until it quits competely. Scared to talk to Ford in am. Always 3-4k. About ready to fight them this time, to stubborn to trade. :grumble:

If it went to a ford dealership, then there IS A WARRANTY on the work that was just performed!

RD

calkid

Reaction score
A "sneaky pipe" and ARP head studs do the trick, try to do it before you blow an EGR or oil cooler.

hulihan

Reaction score
I have an 03 diesel , never had a single problem, I have an 04 V10 never had a single problem, but have utility beds and are loaded to the tee with Plumbing tools and stuff, used everyday 5 days a week and newer trucks, but I refuse to sell the o3 diesel and the v10, but the V10 gets horrible gas mileage ! And both were bought brand new, so I think it is the luck of the draw on the ford diesels, I know many guys with them and love them and drive the shit out of them. got the new Chevy diesel 2011 and loved it for about 3 weeks, sold it and bought a 2006 F350, had it bullet proofed and it works perfect !

RUNNINHOTRACING163.1

Reaction score
A "sneaky pipe" and ARP head studs do the trick, try to do it before you blow an EGR or oil cooler.

+100 :thumbsup & a bully dog tuner

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-BOAT-DR..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c6a7d116a&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JETSKI-STOR..._Watercraft_Parts&hash=item3cccd04775&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOAT-TR..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item3cb4089d56&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-TRIM-TA..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c6501c609&vxp=mtr

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :champagne :champagne

OGCroz

Reaction score
Where I work we have 3 - 6.0 diesels, and all I can say is crap,crap,crap! They have all been in the shop numerous times and man is it expensive. Our gasoline trucks are just fine. Good luck with your search.

Reaction score
Where I work we have 3 - 6.0 diesels, and all I can say is crap,crap,crap! They have all been in the shop numerous times and man is it expensive. Our gasoline trucks are just fine. Good luck with your search.

From a commercial standpoint.
We have a 06 and an 08. One is 6.0l and the other was I think 6.4l? Both are junk!! A friend of mine picked up the 2012 ford super duty and broke (2) pistons at around 30k mi. So 6.0l to current has been nothing but problems.