WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Super Shops

Yoshiro

Reaction score
I remembered Super Shops, as it was mentioned in another thread about stores we miss. I wasn't aware the business was sold in 2017 and they are up and running with an online presence. I looked at the website, they even have Autometer marine gauges. Kinda cool to see the name again.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Gone are those days , Super shops were still around in the bay area in the 80's , Tognoties too , In my small town was "The Parts house" owned by a genuine drag racer and cater to us street racers ;)... My shop has been "likend" that , to Us its a boat shop but we have a ton of parts and often when folks visit they hang out for hours to bench race and shoot the sh*it , They seem to enjoy the atmosphere and oogle at 30 years of accumulation of Hot rod "stuff"

Attachments

• 20200211_175930.jpg
    20200211_175930.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Resized_20200917_170442_8274.jpeg
    Resized_20200917_170442_8274.jpeg
    594.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Resized_Screenshot_20200322-100543_Ring_2349.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20200322-100543_Ring_2349.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I remember as a young kid going into the Covina Super Shops with my dad on Saturdays. Man did I geek out on the coolness. We had an old POS dune buggy that my dad built and I'd day dream up and down the isles at the shiny bolt on accessories in hope that we could fix the buggy up. One day my dad splurged on a chrome air cleaner for it. Pretty sure we gained 1,000 HP that day. 😂

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
There was one on Balboa ave in San Diego. Spent a bunch of $$$ there.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
The one nearest me growing up was in Tacoma, WA. It was an awesome store. I remember buying some 245/50/15 BFG "Euro" TAs from them for my early 5.0 Fox Body

Do you remember Pacific National Auto Parts in Tacoma? All the counter guys were drag racers. I knew one of the guys there back in '76/77 when I was stationed at Ft Lewis. he had a bad ass '64 Fury with a 426 Hemi.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
Do you remember Pacific National Auto Parts in Tacoma? All the counter guys were drag racers. I knew one of the guys there back in '76/77 when I was stationed at Ft Lewis. he had a bad ass '64 Fury with a 426 Hemi.
I don't specifically, but I do remember the chain Honest Performance.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I remembered Super Shops, as it was mentioned in another thread about stores we miss. I wasn't aware the business was sold in 2017 and they are up and running with an online presence. I looked at the website, they even have Autometer marine gauges. Kinda cool to see the name again.
Super Shops was started in San Bernardino out on East Baseline Rd. by Harry Eberline as S.B. speed and Equipment in 1963. Sometime in the 70's Harry changed it to Super Shops and expanded from there. We also had J&M speed which I believe one still operates in Riverside.

overdue

STARTING OVER
Reaction score
And it wasn’t the bad made in china shit , it was the good made in china shit lol 😊 jk

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
I always heard the one I grew up with in Oak Cliff, south Dallas, shut down after years of employees selling inventory for cash on the side. As a young teenager, that store was gold plated in my eyes

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
I remember as a young kid going into the Covina Super Shops with my dad on Saturdays. Man did I geek out on the coolness. We had an old POS dune buggy that my dad built and I'd day dream up and down the isles at the shiny bolt on accessories in hope that we could fix the buggy up. One day my dad splurged on a chrome air cleaner for it. Pretty sure we gained 1,000 HP that day. 😂
Probably because you flipped the top upside down. 😁

That was my local shop also.

Baja 252

Reaction score
In the mid 90's I ordered a custom set of wheels for my truck from Super Shops. After several weeks I finally got the call, they were in. I went in to get them and opened the first box to see one. I took one look at it and said to the guy, "these won't work". His response was, "no returns on special order wheels". I spun the box around to show him the wheels I waited weeks for were blanks, no holes drilled in them at all. Waited another few weeks to get a set drilled in my bolt pattern.

4Waters

Reaction score

timstoy

Reaction score
A friend ordered a Holly carb from the Super Shops, after waiting for over a month his carb came in. He put it on his car and could not get the car to start. The plugs were fuel fouled so he put in a new set and the car tried to start but fouled the plugs again. He called me over to take a look and i’m thinking ignition, did some checking and ignition was fine. While cranking the car over I noticed gas coming out of the number one cylinder. Pulled the carb off and removed the primary bowl and found no jets in the primary block! Friend took the carb back to Super Shops and they said no way there was no jets in the primarys. After some heated discussion they gave him the correct primary jets for carb and a set of Accel spark plugs. Put the carb and plugs in and got the car started. Long story short the carb never worked right. We tried everything you could do to the carb. One day another friend came by and had a similar engine combination and same carb. We swapped carbs and the difference was significantly better. We set the original carb up exactly as our friends carb but it still didn’t have the same snap. Later on we found out that Super Shops were selling Holly remand carbs as new!

zhandfull

Reaction score
Like Rivermobster, myself and a few friends did well using Erson cams back in the 80's. 2 of my best friends worked at the Holt store in Ontario out of high school. Good memories. :)

View attachment 1174903
I remember a white big block Challenger running around Rancho in 85 ish with Cragers and big slicks on the back. Think his name was Mike. Same car?

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
I worked at store10 Sacramento from 85 to 90 and transferred to Mallory/Erson in 90 - 94 in sales/tech.. In that same time sponsorship switched from Garlits to Hill and was lucky enough to have met both of them.

Lots of fun and lots of lifetime friends were made through those years.

Our best day I think we did 23K and 105 tires ! we were always #1 or #2 battling it out with San Jose

I transferred a live mouse to them in a shock box once lol (we had our own trucks)

IMG_0488.jpg

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
The only tires I ever bought at SS were slicks. I had a buddy that was a manager at Winston Tires in Corona and he always hooked me up with tires for. my Road Runners. Later I was driving a couple different Super Bees which had more wheel well space and could accommodate N 60's which we would have to go somewhere else for.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I remember a white big block Challenger running around Rancho in 85 ish with Cragers and big slicks on the back. Think his name was Mike. Same car?

Sounds like your memory is still intact! :)

We made our way into Rancho from Upland on many occasions. You're correct on the name too.

This is Mike on the right with Doug Peel back at a Castaic drag boat race.

challenger.jpg

Mike and Doug.jpg

Maybe you remember Doug as well? Doug had this mustang. Both Doug and Mike worked at Super Shops back then.

Dougstang.jpg

Vamodsquad

Reaction score
I use them. I buy a lot of my AN fittings from their store on Ebay. They usually have good prices on Russell.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Sounds like your memory is still intact! :)

We made our way into Rancho from Upland on many occasions. You're correct on the name too.

This is Mike on the right with Doug Peel back at a Castaic drag boat race.

View attachment 1174964

View attachment 1174960

Maybe you remember Doug as well? Doug had this mustang. Both Doug and Mike worked at Super Shops back then.

View attachment 1174961
Cool! Yeah, Mikes car left an impression on me and I always liked it, especially when he was running around on slicks. But I have always been a Mopar guy too.

Don’t remember Doug or the Mustang specifically. There was a lot of Mustangs running around at that time.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Cool! Yeah, Mikes car left an impression on me and I always liked it, especially when he was running around on slicks. But I have always been a Mopar guy too.

Don’t remember Doug or the Mustang specifically. There was a lot of Mustangs running around at that time.

Mike bought it from Kevin Slape who said it was originally green. It was a 383 auto with 3.91 gears. Seats had velour inserts. It was a really cool car especially for high school.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
A friend of mine owned the super shop in Thousand Oaks , said guys would come in pay day with wife and couple kids , the kids would be in tattered clothes and shoes , wife the same way . The guy would be buying a bunch of useless chrome for the engine and a stupid ratcheting shifter for the IROC , Sometimes he would try to talk them out of it by suggesting kids might need clothes , didn’t go over well .

4Waters

Reaction score
A friend of mine owned the super shop in Thousand Oaks , said guys would come in pay day with wife and couple kids , the kids would be in tattered clothes and shoes , wife the same way . The guy would be buying a bunch of useless chrome for the engine and a stupid ratcheting shifter for the IROC , Sometimes he would try to talk them out of it by suggesting kids might need clothes , didn’t go over well .
Yeah he pissed me off that day!!

JK🤣 I was 18 or so when it changed to PAW but I do remember seeing shit like that, it's crazy what some people's priorities are.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
I remember Service Center when I was 16-17. Used to hang with a lasd deputy that ran a vette at ocir.County Mounty.
But Super shops told me I was using the wrong intake gasket on my jet bote. So thanks to them I made the water that particular weekend.

Last edited:

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
This thread stirs some warm memories for Me , long before I discovered boats , I was a "car guy" (and later street racer) loved hot rods and used to bicycle to the local SLO airport for the car drags in the 60's , worked for a local disc jockey in trade for a Honda 55 then parlayed that into a 54 Merc and then my 56" Belair (no posts) . I was smitten and built my first 265 SBC at 16 (1967) and never changed , like a lot here I've owned practically every muscle car /hot rod made from GTO, Road runner, Mustang, Chevelles , SS409, Corvette and even a Triuph Tr4 ...and on .... It just flat gets in your blood .... Recently while doing a damage inspection I glanced around and saw this picture I swear to god this is where I traded my Honda 55 and a hundred hard earned buck for My first car , The rest is history

Attachments

• IMG-4390 (1).jpg
    IMG-4390 (1).jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited: