WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Super Shops

Bob65olds

Reaction score
Spent a lot of time at the one!! Had friends that worked there in the late 70’s into the 80’s.
image.jpg

FreeBird236

Reaction score
This thread stirs some warm memories for Me , long before I discovered boats , I was a "car guy" (and later street racer) loved hot rods and used to bicycle to the local SLO airport for the car drags in the 60's , worked for a local disc jockey in trade for a Honda 55 then parlayed that into a 54 Merc and then my 56" Belair (no posts) . I was smitten and built my first 265 SBC at 16 (1967) and never changed , like a lot here I've owned practically every muscle car /hot rod made from GTO, Road runner, Mustang, Chevelles , SS409, Corvette and even a Triuph Tr4 ...and on .... It just flat gets in your blood .... Recently while doing a damage inspection I glanced around and saw this picture I swear to god this is where I traded my Honda 55 and a hundred hard earned buck for My first car , The rest is history
I bought my 56 in about 68-69 from the original owner, he was just getting too old to drive. He told me he bought it from Crest Chevrolet in San Bernardino, and it was a demo with about 500 miles and he told them he would only buy it if they put a new engine in it, which they did. I always noticed a couple of weld marks on either side of the radiator but didn't give it much thought. A few years later I need to replace the starter which is bolted to the bellhousing, it's three on the tree, and there's no way to get a wrench or socket on the inside bottom bolt, just physically impossible, I also notice the block has holes for a starter. Long story short, I chisel out the one bolt and buy a starter that fits the block instead of the bellhousing. I'm sure some of you have already figured out the engine was for an automatic and they cut the radiator out and slid the new engine in with the starter still in place. It was quite a chore for a 17 year old with limited knowledge.😁 A few years later I'm doing some head work on my 265 and I get a call from the shop, Hey dude you got a 1957 283.o_O😂

Last edited:

boatnam2

Reaction score
Team C performance. They used to run a drag boat. Bud was the old man. Mark was the son and I was told Marks kid is driving the boat now. Ronnie Marcum I think was his name worked there and was a long time Service Center guy.
Ronnie was a cool dude.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I always heard the one I grew up with in Oak Cliff, south Dallas, shut down after years of employees selling inventory for cash on the side. As a young teenager, that store was gold plated in my eyes
Shit like that still happens in Oak Cliff LOL

I had a flip that was broken into twice.
I got the last laugh because the stove they stole needed some expensive parts to get working (it was an underfloor vent model)...FML

gqchris

Reaction score
The one nearest me growing up was in Tacoma, WA. It was an awesome store. I remember buying some 245/50/15 BFG "Euro" TAs from them for my early 5.0 Fox Body
That was THE tire! They seemed so low profile to me (conpared to tires nowadays they are huge. Hehe) I used to dream of buying a set for my mini truck on some 5 star Eagles.

I could never afford. Was only a dream!

timstoy

Reaction score
Nobody's gonna mention Reath Automotive ?
I spent a lot of time and money at Reath’s! Joe‘s wife Della(SP) was a great part’s woman, she knew her stuff. I met Jim Dunn at Reath’s when they ran a Funny car together. Years later my son worked on Jim Dunn’s Funny Car for several years! The Dunn Family are also great people and Jim is a living legend.

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time and money at Reath’s! Joe‘s wife Della(SP) was a great part’s woman, she knew her stuff. I met Jim Dunn at Reath’s when they ran a Funny car together. Years later my son worked on Jim Dunn’s Funny Car for several years! The Dunn Family are also great people and Jim is a living legend.

Alot of the legends walked through those doors. Pisano, Slusser, Matsuburo, Denshem, just to name a few. Friday poker games would bring the whos,who to the back room.

Last edited:

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Anyone from the I.E. remember Brent's Dyno Tune out on Cajon Blvd?

timstoy

Reaction score
My Dad had a friend that owned a warehouse close to Micky Thompson’s shop in the early sixties in west Long Beach. One day Micky had the Challenger out in front of his shop and we were looking at it and a man started talking to my Dad and his friend. Next thing I know Dad asked if I would like to sit in the car! The man helped me in the car and closed the lid. It sat so low to the ground and of course I was excited to sit in a real race car with four motors in it. I was pretty young and of course the man was Micky Thompson as I found out later. When I got older and started looking at my Dad’s Hot Rod magazines I saw a picture of the Challenger and asked my Dad if that was the car I sat in. He said yes and the man that helped me in the car was Micky Thompson. I wish I had a picture of me in the car!

boatnam2

Reaction score
Larry from motor magic in bellflower built some nice motors, had a few built by hot rod performance in Torrance, they always had some nice street stuff hanging around.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Anybody remember Hawaii Racing in Simi Valley ? Used to use him for some things , always had tons of new / reman engines ready to go . Anybody ever use any of those engines ?

timstoy

Reaction score
Larry from motor magic in bellflower built some nice motors, had a few built by hot rod performance in Torrance, they always had some nice street stuff hanging around.
Motor Magic did most of Hot Rod Performance higher end machine work. Mark is a great engine builder and a great guy! I haven’t seen him in awhile, need to stop bye and say hi.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Anybody remember Hawaii Racing in Simi Valley ? Used to use him for some things , always had tons of new / reman engines ready to go . Anybody ever use any of those engines ?
I mentioned him earlier. I worked there for a while. He Is the last person I would call.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

I used the SS in Tustin/Santa Ana however there was a bitchen Hi-Performance place on Orangethorpe in Fullerton I just cant remember the name.
I think the Super Shops on Harbor Blvd in Costa Mesa was one of the last to go away.

I was lucky enough to be a car nut before it all turned mail order. I used to buy engine kits from PPW in Torrance

timstoy

Reaction score
Speed-O-Motive/Automotive Balancing. I used them quite a bit.
Motor Magic Racing Engines did the machine work for Speed-O-Motive customers for many years including there line of machined ready to assemble blocks.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Motor Magic did most of Hot Rod Performance higher end machine work. Mark is a great engine builder and a great guy! I haven’t seen him in awhile, need to stop bye and say hi.
Yes he did, had a few hick ups trying nitrous so got to use them both a couple times.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Buddies shop PowerHaus is right across from Mark. He has been around for a long time.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Torrance Service Center. Bob Sebring. Built a bunch of engines. Grumpy old fuck but good guy if you were not an idiot.
Pretty sure they moved to Narbonne in Lomita. They are gone now. Not sure if moved or closed up shop. Just like HRP they were around a long time in Torrance.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Pretty sure they moved to Narbonne in Lomita. They are gone now. Not sure if moved or closed up shop. Just like HRP they were around a long time in Torrance.
Closed up and last I heard Bob was having some health issues.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I believe @bonesfab worked there. My friend Bill Dunaway worked there.

What about the old PAW place. There was also Autocessories in Sepulveda (now North Hills) owned by someone named Stam. He shop was more into tire and wheel packages but he did stock some high performance parts.

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I believe @bonesfab worked there. My friend Bill Dunaway worked there.

What about the old PAW place. There was also Autocessories in Sepulveda (now North Hills) owned by someone named Sam. He shop was more into tire and wheel packages but he did stock some high performance parts.
Stan. He got IRSed.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Used Motor Machine & Supply in Norwalk for some of my builds/parts in the late 70's early 80's, their still open.
Also visited the Super Shops store on Valleyview Ave in La Mirada quiet often.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Damn tons of memories in this thread! Mostly when I was working for Art Carr in Fountain Valley! Dealt with and used almost all of these shops. The Costa Mesa Super Shops was my local one, but my buddies and I would drive anywhere for cool parts! As @bonesfab mentioned I was lucky enough to deal with Bob Sebring, wow what a character! He did a couple early engines for me, I was a Mopar idiot at the time so I was even lucky enough to have a Dick Landy engine at one point. I have worked with them all! I am surprised that you guys didn't mention KB, Shaver, or Ed Pink...

TimeBandit

Reaction score
High School in Nor Cal, Gotelli speed shop is where my paychecks went.

When I moved to the valley Service Center on Sepulveda was the Nitrous hook up, old school vibe compared to Super Shop.

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
When I worked for John Rodeck, Shaver was an almost daily stop.That place put out alot of sprint car motors!

Again when I was grinding crankshafts at Cola alot of product went to Shaver.

Spent alot of time behind KBs as well.
It was sad to witness the end of that era.

hman442

Reaction score
You guys down in SoCal had lots to choose from. Up here in the wilds of Central Oregon, we had Mac's Machine. Mac was a 50s racer, looked like John on American Graffiti with the cigarette pack rolled up in his T shirt sleeve, wore Roy Orbison glasses, was every teen age pistonheads hero. He taught me a lot. My only taste of your big names was a Rodeck block in a top alcohol dragster that I was lucky enough to travel around with for a couple summers during college years, and a Class 8 Ford pickup that I maintained for a bit....it had all the cool stickers....Art Carr Transmission, Louie Unser Racing Engines, and of course "The Carb Shop". This was all in a truck purchased from Micky Thompson. Good 'ol days

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I spent plenty of Saturdays at P.A.W. In the valley with my dad. 👍🏻
Same!
The warehouse location had dragsters and rods on display….I used to love going there with the “bible” earmarked and highlighted, placing an order with the counter salesperson, and then watching them wheel out a Rubbermaid cart full of bad ass engine parts! So many memories

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I still go to J&M Speed Center in Riverside when I am down near there.

timstoy

Reaction score
One thing I didn’t like about Super Shops was if they didn’t have a part you had to order and pay a deposit. The problem is you never knew when you would get the part. Later when we had our own shop I had a couple parts salesman tell me Super Shops would pool the deposit money and make a large order with the part supplier at below jobber price. It was a good deal for the customer if you had time to wait for the part.