WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Superbikers - ABC Wide World of Sports

Halvecto

Reaction score
I was talking with my son last week about how Quarantine shutting down sports reminded me that growing up, watching sports on TV was limited to a few Lakers or Dodgers games midweek, a Saturday ball game and the occasional weekend random sports. My brother and I would anticipate Tuesday nights; Mom's tacos and Lakers games with Dad. The limited amount of sports available on TV before Cable, ESPN, FoxSports, etc. made getting to watch them a big deal. I was trying to explain Sunday afternoons eagerly watching ABC Wide World of Sports was the only chance we had to see those random sports. A boat race, water-ski shows, log-rolling and chainsaws, International Soccer, a golf match, etc. .

One of my all-time favorites was the Superbikers race. I think it only ran a few years, but I tried to explain to him that it brought together riders from all three types of motorcycle racing: Motocross, Road Racing and Flat-Track. I found this YouTube video; we sat and watched the whole thing. He just couldn't believe the heavy Harley flat trackers speed. Great watch even now.

Steve Wise and Magoo Chandler could really ride. Jim McKay and Sam Posey announcing brings back memories :

The SuperBikers 1982

Last edited:

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I was talking with my son last week about how Quarantine shutting down sports reminded me that growing up, watching sports on TV was limited to a few Lakers or Dodgers games midweek, a Saturday ball game and the occasional weekend random sports. My brother and I would anticipate Tuesday nights; Mom's tacos and Lakers games with Dad. The limited amount of sports available on TV before Cable, ESPN, FoxSports, etc. made getting to watch them a big deal. I was trying to explain Sunday afternoons eagerly watching ABC Wide World of Sports was the only chance we had to see those random sports. A boat race, water-ski shows, log-rolling and chainsaws, International Soccer, a golf match, etc. .

One of my all-time favorites was the Superbikers race. I think it only ran a few years, but I tried to explain to him that it brought together riders from all three types of motorcycle racing: Motocross, Road Racing and Flat-Track. I found this YouTube video; we sat and watched the whole thing. He just couldn't believe the heavy Harley flat trackers speed. Great watch even now.

Steve Wise and Magoo Chandler could really ride. Jim McKay and Sam Posey announcing brings back memories :

The SuperBikers 1982

So bad ass!!

BONER

Reaction score

The SuperBikers 1982

That was super cool. Those guys were ahead of their time. On sheer Culture alone I think they would ass rape today's riders. Just a different Breed back then. True Ironmen.

HotRod82

Reaction score
So Awesome! Rode my Honda Nighthawk 650 to watch both the Superbikers and the USGP to Carlsbad while in high school. Best of times.....

RodnJen

Reaction score
Those courses had a little bit of everything, bad ass.

Halvecto

Reaction score
Those courses had a little bit of everything, bad ass.

This race was the precursor to the Super Motard bike. It would be a huge hit if they resurrected this race on a similar track.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
With today's drivers, I'd love to see the IROC challenge races come back.

Halvecto

Reaction score
They could probably set a separate Channel for Wide World Of Sports and have dedicated viewers willing to subscribe.

A combo original/modern versions of "old school" sports type show .... for sure.