WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Support a company or not based on political beliefs of CEO/owner?

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Have you ever quit supporting a business due the political preferences of the owner/CEO?

I happen to like the product of a certain privately owned nationwide spice company. It's been around for decades. The founder passed away in 2011(?) or so and the son took over the business. It was catalog and retail stores in higher income areas. Then, they got a website, and later an email list, with Facebook presence starting last year(?). I knew nothing about the CEO/owner; however, ever since this past election it's been a constant barrage of emails (sometimes twice a day) about politics along with the usual product sales, typically with a political bent (for example he was saying sorry to the Mexican people and Mexico for Trump's comments during the campaign while pushing Mexican Vanilla extract). Plenty of CEO's of large corporations speak out politically (many times in support or against what's good for their business), but rarely do they keep after it via customer email lists that push products, etc. I buy product from many companies that I may not align politically with the owner. Doesn't bother me as owner isn't "poking the bear" so to speak. This CEO has taken it to a whole new level.

I know it's as simple as unsubscribing for the email list and either never doing business with this Company again or just buy via store or catalog. But, why would a CEO/owner continue to push his political beliefs via every damn email? I just want to buy some product, not get hammered with politics, I can get that from the news or elsewhere.

I'd rather this not go the P&G route. Just curious if you get to a point where a line is crossed and you say "ok, time to move on from supporting this business" solely based on similar actions of a CEO/owner as with this company?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
In short, No not really. That said I never sing up for email blasts. I have a separate junk email account for that stuff I never see.

As people I think there are few CEOs that any average person would fully agree with.

I am growing tired of politics being injected into more and more facets of life within the last year or so however. I think people as a whole will start to respond negatively to that.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Bowtiejunky, Personally I do feel it affects how I look at the company and I will do my best not to support the causes of any person / persons or businesses that I deem contribute to the unwinding of America. Namely anybody that is / was a Hillary supporter / liberal policies / open borders / etc..

I pose to you the same question.. How many members do you think would be on this board right now if I came out as a commie pinko bastard liberal democrat? The fucking place would be a ghost town. I'm all for the love of guns, border security, and Making America Great Again, by PUTTING AMERICA FIRST. I think every single liberal needs psychotherapy at a minimum, and some of these democrats should definitely be on trial for their various crimes, some like the Clinton's should be on trial for TREASON..

RD

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I pose to you the same question.. How many members do you think would be on this board right now if I came out as a commie pinko bastard liberal democrat? The fucking place would be a ghost town. I
RD

Or would it? There's an ass for every seat.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I do. But only out of spite. :rolleyes:cool

Most of my clients are libbys so I have to keep my trap shut. :eek I just sit there quietly when they go on their rants and I take the high road.

It is what it is....

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Bowtiejunky, Personally I do feel it affects how I look at the company and I will do my best not to support the causes of any person / persons or businesses that I deem contribute to the unwinding of America. Namely anybody that is / was a Hillary supporter / liberal policies / open borders / etc..

I pose to you the same question.. How many members do you think would be on this board right now if I came out as a commie pinko bastard liberal democrat? The fucking place would be a ghost town. I'm all for the love of guns, border security, and Making America Great Again, by PUTTING AMERICA FIRST. I think every single liberal needs psychotherapy at a minimum, and some of these democrats should definitely be on trial for their various crimes, some like the Clinton's should be on trial for TREASON..

RD

None of that seems to bother all the right leaning people on Facebook...

As a whole.. it is pretty damn hard to put AMERICA FIRST, as we post here on software created and supported by foreign developers, and on hardware mobile devices and computers made overseas.. etc.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Or would it? There's an ass for every seat.

If this place was full of snowflakes, I'd throw the switch. Or turn up the heat and melt them all.. Fuck those people. I'm perfectly fine with having a couple on here for flavor.. I think of them like salt on a steak. But I'm less than interested then listening to their mentally ill rants all day, and we have lost a few over the years.. I'm good with that too.

None of that seems to bother all the right leaning people on Facebook...

Facebook was doing a full on censorship campaign when it came to right leaning articles etc.. When you would try to share anything Trump related it would lock up, or spend a considerable amount of time thinking.. I 100% BELIEVE they are not showing those articles to other people or using algorithms to show them to less than nomral, and I 100% believe after this bullshit witch hunt over Russia and "fake news" that they will absolutely put measures in place to try and control it.

Facebook is the antichrist as a whole.. My hopes are to have the new RDP in place shortly, and rid myself of that fucking place permanently.. or at a maximum try to use it for exposure for the site, not the actual entertainment as a whole. Zuckerberg can suck my fat right wing cock.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Have you ever quit supporting a business due the political preferences of the owner/CEO?

I happen to like the product of a certain privately owned nationwide spice company. It's been around for decades. The founder passed away in 2011(?) or so and the son took over the business. It was catalog and retail stores in higher income areas. Then, they got a website, and later an email list, with Facebook presence starting last year(?). I knew nothing about the CEO/owner; however, ever since this past election it's been a constant barrage of emails (sometimes twice a day) about politics along with the usual product sales, typically with a political bent (for example he was saying sorry to the Mexican people and Mexico for Trump's comments during the campaign while pushing Mexican Vanilla extract). Plenty of CEO's of large corporations speak out politically (many times in support or against what's good for their business), but rarely do they keep after it via customer email lists that push products, etc. I buy product from many companies that I may not align politically with the owner. Doesn't bother me as owner isn't "poking the bear" so to speak. This CEO has taken it to a whole new level.

I know it's as simple as unsubscribing for the email list and either never doing business with this Company again or just buy via store or catalog. But, why would a CEO/owner continue to push his political beliefs via every damn email? I just want to buy some product, not get hammered with politics, I can get that from the news or elsewhere.

I'd rather this not go the P&G route. Just curious if you get to a point where a line is crossed and you say "ok, time to move on from supporting this business" solely based on similar actions of a CEO/owner as with this company?

In your case I think I would find another supplier and if that's not possible I would do without. In my opinion the company has crossed the line of good taste and rational thinking.

oldschool

Reaction score
I don't know why a CEO of any company would make any of their political/social views public. It can, and usually is, bad for business. Keep your trap shut and keep make money for the shareholders.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If this place was full of snowflakes, I'd throw the switch. Or turn up the heat and melt them all.. Fuck those people.

Facebook was doing a full on censorship campaign when it came to right leaning articles etc.. When you would try to share anything Trump related it would lock up, or spend a considerable amount of time thinking.. I 100% BELIEVE they are not showing those articles to other people, and I 100% believe after this bullshit witch hunt over Russia and "fake news" that they will absolutely put measures in place to try and control it. Facebook is the antichrist as a whole.. My hopes are to have the new RDP in place shortly, and rid myself of that fucking place permanently.. or at a maximum try to use it for exposure for the site, not the actual entertainment as a whole. Zuckerberg can suck my fat right wing cock.

I agree. I am just saying.. it is a damn challenge to put America First, but there are steps we can take to move in that direction certainly.

Is your they in that statement FB? I am not sure they (FB) will actually DO much. other than putting a statement out that they try to give balanced info and new stories, and leave the software exactly the same. People on Facebook want an echo chamber, not a rational debate of opposing views.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I don't know why a CEO of any company would make any of their political/social views public. It can, and usually is, bad for business. Keep your trap shut and keep make money for the shareholders.

Because they are in a boardroom full of people telling them how great they are all day every day, and that every idea they have is a great idea.

Same reason the moron celebrities make their political views known.

oldschool

Reaction score
Because they are in a boardroom full of people telling them how great they are all day every day, and that every idea they have is a great idea.

I don't think companies with a real Board are like that, at least not in my limited experience. Board members aren't there to pump a CEOs ego, or shouldn't be.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I don't think companies with a real Board are like that, at least not in my limited experience. Board members aren't there to pump a CEOs ego, or shouldn't be.

Someone is pumping their ego.

That is generally a CEO's mentality anyway.. it has to be. My company is so great, that means by extension the leader of the company is great, and hot damn, I'm the leader.

I'm not saying all CEOs are like this or are this vocal.. but the vocal ones are like this.

oldschool

Reaction score
Someone is pumping their ego.

That is generally a CEO's mentality anyway.. it has to be. My company is so great, that means by extension the leader of the company is great, and hot damn, I'm the leader.

I'm not saying all CEOs are like this or are this vocal.. but the vocal ones are like this.

Seems the vocal or opinionated ones own their companies as well. Most "hired guns" , as MisplacedSooner said, know their role and shut their hole.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score

Yes, If I decide I don't like a CEO's political slant, I'll stop supporting them. Only problem, I may end up not buying anything one day.

Since you brought it up, yes when the moron celebreties decide to stop what their doing (acting/singing) to tell me what is right and wrong or who is right or wrong, is the day I don't listen to their music or watch their shows/movies.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Seems the vocal or opinionated ones own their companies as well. Most "hired guns" , as MisplacedSooner said, know their role and shut their hole.

I generally agree. The ones that own or founded the companies, and generally more likely to have the boardrooms full of back patters and high fivers... People get that way for a reason.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Company owners that spew their political beliefs into advertisement are just gonna polarize their company, both employees and patrons. Overall, I pay little attention to political rhetoric anyhow but certainly pay attention to what views vocal people have and access accordingly.
And yes, I think it can influence a purchase.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score

This place would look like parts of Florida during a hurricane evacuation warning. lol. Frankly, knowing the guy with the on/off switch has similar political views makes the place more enjoyable to hang out.

RD

In your case I think I would find another supplier and if that's not possible I would do without. In my opinion the company has crossed the line of good taste and rational thinking.

I think I've found another supplier on par with this current spice company. Will give that company a try. The owner's views are not simple "go attend the women's march in DC", "we lost this election, will get the next one", etc. He goes on and on to the point where you want to reply (he gives you his email address) and tell him to give it a break. None stop crying is all I hear, and I'm an easy going person that gets along with nearly everyone. Hell, you wonder if all he does is hack out these emails all day.

Apparently, the business has gained since the election (although, he has lost a number of Republicans. Maybe because he categorically called Republications racists way back in November last year!). The CEO of my employer basically keeps it to how current or future changes on the political level will effect the business. His own personal views are not expressed verbal or via email. Well, he did weigh in on a local/county level transportation measure awhile back. He generally just says to get out and vote.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
If someone feels so strongly as to publicly pronounce their opinions, then they should be prepared for the backlash.

I absolutely will not use a vendor/sub or buy from a warehouse that thinks differently than I do, if you don't make decisions with your dollars, no one will.

I have refused to work on various referral vehicles from time to time, just based upon a bumper sticker! :D

Since I don't advertise, and only do referral work, it works out that I don't have to deal with it very often. ;)

My shop, my rules, don't like it? Get the fuck out. :finger :D

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yep, right after bob won his second term a guy came in touting the win, he never got past the foyer.

Yea, not interested. "No you can't, I told him." ...and locked the door when he was on the other side. :)

Brian

If someone feels so strongly as to publicly pronounce their opinions, then they should be prepared for the backlash.

I absolutely will not use a vendor/sub or buy from a warehouse that thinks differently than I do, if you don't make decisions with your dollars, no one will.

I have refused to work on various referral vehicles from time to time, just based upon a bumper sticker! :D

Since I don't advertise, and only do referral work, it works out that I don't have to deal with it very often. ;)

nrbr

Reaction score
I don't give a shit. If you are a good company that provides me with great goods or services at a fair price then we're good. I try not to be so close minded about my own views that I let it affect who I'll interact or do business with. Seems childish but to each thier own.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
If this place was full of snowflakes, I'd throw the switch. Or turn up the heat and melt them all.. Fuck those people. I'm perfectly fine with having a couple on here for flavor.. I think of them like salt on a steak. But I'm less than interested then listening to their mentally ill rants all day, and we have lost a few over the years.. I'm good with that too.

Facebook was doing a full on censorship campaign when it came to right leaning articles etc.. When you would try to share anything Trump related it would lock up, or spend a considerable amount of time thinking.. I 100% BELIEVE they are not showing those articles to other people or using algorithms to show them to less than nomral, and I 100% believe after this bullshit witch hunt over Russia and "fake news" that they will absolutely put measures in place to try and control it.

Facebook is the antichrist as a whole.. My hopes are to have the new RDP in place shortly, and rid myself of that fucking place permanently.. or at a maximum try to use it for exposure for the site, not the actual entertainment as a whole. Zuckerberg can suck my fat right wing cock.

Go Dave Go!!!! Go Dave Go!!! I'm lovin' it!!!

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

About the bumper sticker, I told a person to take the engine elsewhere the minute I saw it. Fuk em, MY shop, My rules!!

pkrrvr619

Reaction score

RD

I wonder then why there are some liberals on here that keep coming back. Penchant for pain? Lord knows the pg section has a few of the lefties....

cnj

Reaction score
I would abso-fukkin-lutely cut all ties, and I would email them as to why, in a not-so-polite manner. I HATE that shit. I ESPECIALLY hate it when paid performers feel the need to "enlighten" the audience with their personal agenda or political diatribe. I say they shut the Fuk up and perform. Otherwise, they should keep their pie hole shut!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
In short, No not really. That said I never sing up for email blasts. I have a separate junk email account for that stuff I never see.

As people I think there are few CEOs that any average person would fully agree with.

I am growing tired of politics being injected into more and more facets of life within the last year or so however. I think people as a whole will start to respond negatively to that.

Agreed...

"Made in the USA" label first. After that it's the quality of the product. Politics usually doesn't enter my mind. I've got more important things to do and based on the last election, most people don't agree with my views anyway, so fuck it.

Pelon

Reaction score
I used to enjoy Fat Tire beer, brewed by New Belgium Brewing CO. Then I read how "progressive" this company was. They donate to to many environmental groups in Colorado, some who support the draining of Lake Powell. That was enough for me. Not paying for any New Belgium Products now.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I firmly believe in keeping political and religious discussions out of the workplace. Too many differing, strong opinions for that.

If I was receiving emails like that I absolutely would cut ties. I'd maybe try to get other board members emails and send a message to them or the shareholders letting them know they are losing clientele due to the CEO repetitively pushing his personal political opinions.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

To each their own I suppose.
I think you're missing a golden opportunity.
Those with the Bern or H bumper stickers should be fine with you adding a few special taxes, they're all about more taxes.
They'll be fine with it.:thumbsup

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
To each their own I suppose.
I think you're missing a golden opportunity.
Those with the Bern or H bumper stickers should be fine with you adding a few special taxes, they're all about more taxes.
They'll be fine with it.:thumbsup

LOL

Those are the customers that probably would bitch and whine the most. I like the way you're thinking but sometimes it's just not worth the trouble. [emoji16]

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I absolutely do. That's why its called the free market! And free speech! Their free speech allows me to utilize the free market and spend my money where I see fit. And RD yes I would not be here if Gradtard or Gpatard were running things. MAGA!!!!!!!!!

pcrussell50

Reaction score
I go with my gut on things like that. Bezos and Muskie are both in favor of an utterly idiotic and ultimately dangerous, "universal income". Every time things like that have been tried, it's ended up with gulags and genocide (Cuba, Soviet Union, China...) Yet, I shop Amazon, even though Bezos is a huge lib, but I wouldn't touch a Tesla with a 10 foot pole. Because pragmatism has a place here. There has to be something in it for me, if I'm to shop with an ideology I disagree with. I'm a road course driver and no battery car can lap at nearly full throttle for 45 minutes at a time and still make it home. Plus, they're insanely heavy for their size so tires get hot and grip goes away on a road course. If I were a dragger, I might love an AWD Tesla... But I'm not... so I don't. A guy who runs a garden and irrigation supply here in Santa Barbara, is a huge anti-second Amendment type. I don't shop there any more, because his prices are high and his politics are irritating so every time I go there, I feel annoyed when I leave. So I don't go anymore unless I need his advice on something and then I usually buy something too.

-Peter

rrrr

Reaction score

I'd stop doing business with a company if the situation described by the OP came up. I think I would do it even if the guy was a Republican. Most of the time when people get stirred up in email hell their content is about 75% fake news and bullshit.

The guy the OP described is a pompous ass that thinks his opinions are impressive and he thinks he's intelligent. Considering the political climate right now the guy could be pissing off 50% of his customers.

arch stanton

Reaction score
Let me expand on this topic Would you knowingly hire a liberal if you have liberals in you business are they better or worse than the conservatives. I have not had any overly liberal employees but many outspoken conservatives and they have been by far the best, come in early go home late kind of guys.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I wouldn't do buisness with any company that I know supports or defends the complete opposite of my views , if I know it.
Example: I will not walk into or shop at a target after their public opinion of trans- gender [emoji202]

500bbc

Reaction score
I do. But only out of spite. :rolleyes:cool

Most of my clients are libbys so I have to keep my trap shut. :eek I just sit there quietly when they go on their rants and I take the high road.

It is what it is....
Charge them PITA just to put up with their shit.

500bbc

Reaction score
Penzeys Spices

Put em on ignore.:D

dribble

Reaction score

No. This is America. Everyone has a right to their political views and because they disagree with mine doesn't mean I hate them or that I am 100% right or they are 100% wrong. That's the problem with America today. Just look at all the spoiled ass young liberals whining about the fact that Trump won the election. I will not throw a spending tantrum because a certain CEO supported Hillary wants to fight "Global Warming". I choose businesses based upon their ability to provide me the best product or service for my dollar. Whether that's Apple or the corner gas station.

Why? Because competition is the cornerstone of capitalism.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

RD
I quit buying RDP shirts and hats because they're made in Mexico and Vietnam. MAGA!!!! :skull

lebel409

Reaction score
A couple of things...

I'm not "conservative" or "liberal". Those are bumper stickers for people that can't come up with their own opinions. I'm for personal responsibility, period. I'm also a musician. Many musicians are in favor of govt subsidized art, unions, free healthcare...and I have to work hard to keep my mouth shut with customers when they go off on those subjects.

On the flip side, I can be friends with people I disagree with, as long as we can agree to disagree. However people that don't listen and keep pushing their point...get shut down. Same with businesses, if you quietly give $ to someone I disagree with, whatever. If you make a big deal about and push your agenda...They can kiss my ass.

I look at the NRA and certain religious organizations the same way, pushy, fear mongering, inciteful, scare tactics to make you agree with them. I'vee been getting emails daily from Tim Schmidt, USCCA, with the same crap. I'd happily consider his insurance product if he weren't such a pushy asshole.