WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Supreme Court stops Cuomo's religious restrictions

rrrr

Reaction score
The Supreme Court has ruled New York governor Andrew Cuomo has illegally restricted religious services in New York City, and overturned his ban on gatherings in religious facilities. Chief Justice John Roberts will now be a reliable voter for the left. Roberts sided with the losing 6-3 minority, illustrating why it was so important for the appointment of Justice Amy Conan Barrett to be pushed through last month.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday night blocked New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo from reimposing strict attendance caps at worship services in areas hit hard by the novel coronavirus. The court ruled 5-4 to bar Cuomo from enforcing his Oct. 6 “Cluster Initiative” against houses of worship that sued to challenge the restrictions. The order was also the first in which Justice Amy Coney Barrett played a decisive role. Barrett, who was President Trump's third Supreme Court nominee, joined the court Oct. 27, after winning Senate confirmation following the Sept. 18 death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Meanwhile, Chief Justice John Roberts joined the court’s liberal wing in the dissenting opinion, which stated the court had acted rashly.

Cuomo's initiative had created color-coded limits on mass gatherings and business operations, in an effort to stem the outbreak in New York City areas that were experiencing a surge in cases, according to Bloomberg News. In the hardest-hit areas, which were designated red zones, the state limited attendance in houses of worship to 25% of their capacity or 10 people, whichever is fewer. The majority said his limits violated the First Amendment’s protection of the free exercise of religion.

Justice Neil Gorsuch, in the concurring opinion, said Cuomo had treated religious activities less favorably than nonreligious ones, according to the New York Times.

“It is time — past time — to make plain that, while the pandemic poses many grave challenges, there is no world in which the Constitution tolerates color-coded executive edicts that reopen liquor stores and bike shops but shutter churches, synagogues, and mosques,” wrote Gorsuch, who was also named to the court by Trump.

Remember when the ACLU fought for Constitutional rights and defended the First Amendment?

The American Civil Liberties Union condemned the decision and warned it could "undermine New York's efforts to curb the pandemic."

“The freedom to worship is one of our most cherished fundamental rights, but it does not include a license to harm others or endanger public health," said Daniel Mach, director of the ACLU Program of Freedom of Religion and Belief.

They didn't say a damned thing when thousands of people jammed public places after Biden was declared the winner of the presidential election. I used to admire the ACLU for their neutrality on issues while defending the Constitution and the rights of citizens. That disappeared years ago, on January 20, 2017 to be exact.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Just glad that our President has been able to appoint 3 constitutionalist justices. They say it's a 6-3 conservative court but it's really a 5-4 court now with Roberts swinging to the left. He was scared to rule against the ACA and be branded a racist and has now dissented on the Cuomo church closure case. He is a kneeler at heart....

spectras only

Reaction score
You know what really is sad about this restriction of religious services ? When I grew up in a mostly catholic country [ Hungary ] even the commie atheist bastards allowed the people to go to church to practice their faith. Schools weren't allowed teaching Christianity or the Bible but, my Godmother could take me to Sunday masses. Also, my Mom enrolled me in Bible class. I had to go to the local church where father Pascal taught us the Catechism.
I'm not at all religious by any means. Last time I attended church when I got married to my ex wife in the early 70's. ;)

wzuber

Reaction score
chomo acts like a LEFT over mafia thug. Somebody needs to let the air out of that bag o shit.