WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Surprising Result! Can a New Half-ton Gas Truck Out-tow an Old Diesel HD Pickup? Let's Find Out!

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Technology usually wins
That said

Not putting a 1/2 ton in front of my 37’, 12k lb trailer
Not towing with a 27 year old truck for that load either.

Pretty much same comparison of my STI 21 round 9 mm Stacatto P Duo vs my Springfield Armory Long Beach Operator 8 round .45
Pros and cons to both

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Technology usually wins
That said

Pretty much same comparison of my STI 21 round 9 mm Stacatto P Duo vs my Springfield Armory Long Beach Operator 8 round .45
Pros and cons to both

That is a sane and realistic position.

SixD9R

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, both guys in that video seem like doofuses.

Trash

Reaction score
Try again.. a 2020 F150 4x4 super crew is just over 5k lbs. a 97 Ford F-250 Diesel 4x4 is just over 5k lbs. There is only a couple hundred pounds difference. Want to know why? Everything but the axle on the chassis of the modern F150 is bigger and heavier duty than a 25 year old truck, while the cab and body is lighter aluminum.

Do that braking test 10 times in a row. The 97 won’t even be able to stop and the pedal will go to the floor.

The 97 came with 15 inch wheels. You can’t even put wheels smaller than 17 inches on a new F150 because the brakes are so much bigger. Most of this is true for the Nissan as well.

Just to insert some real data, a 2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 with a 7.3 PSD is 7910 lbs no gear or passengers, but full fuel. I think a 97 F250 is a bit more than 5000 lbs. A 1995 Bronco with 5.8 is 5200 lbs. I have personally weighed both at a certified scale.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Just to insert some real data, a 2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 with a 7.3 PSD is 7910 lbs no gear or passengers, but full fuel. I think a 97 F250 is a bit more than 5000 lbs. A 1995 Bronco with 5.8 is 5200 lbs. I have personally weighed both at a certified scale.

Yep.
Unsafe at any speed.
Ask Ralph Nader.

Dan'l

77charger

Reaction score
Technology usually wins
That said

Pros and cons to both
1911 are just damn good.Sure newer guns are nice but i still prefer my 1911.Going to buy me a sig 220 in 10mm though just waiting for the panic buying to calm down.Then sell my glock 20

LowRiver2

Reaction score
1911 are just damn good.Sure newer guns are nice but i still prefer my 1911.Going to buy me a sig 220 in 10mm though just waiting for the panic buying to calm down.Then sell my glock 20
With the advent of the Federal Lawman 9mm with .69 expansion compared to the .71 expansion of the .45, the STI with 21 rounds and recoil of a nail gun just makes it a no brainer
It’s on a 1911 platform so even better: (John Wick movies are STI Guns) You’d think blanks are the reason he has little recoil. The live ammo is pretty much the same, almost like shooting .22 LR

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I will just leave this here...
DA010969-BC92-4BB5-815C-687305D189C4.jpeg

LowRiver2

Reaction score
It’s totally appropriate when you start comparing 1911 platform with 7.3l ford diesels... it’s nearly the perfect comparison
Shoot an STI:
You’ll thank me later
Striker fire pistols are great starter guns

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Shoot an STI:
You’ll thank me later
Just went on their website, I haven’t bought a pistol since the early 90s, talk about sticker shock. Can you actually buy them at a reasonable price? Or are all quality handguns that expensive now.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I will be happy to concede when somebody shows me a tug of war between an ecoboost and a navistar powerstroke. Both should have at least 100k on the clock to represent proper wear and tear. Just saying....

I'll settle for a 5.9 vs a mopar v8 also

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Just went on their website, I haven’t bought a pistol since the early 90s, talk about sticker shock. Can you actually buy them at a reasonable price? Or are all quality handguns that expensive now.
It’s a gun I can vouch is well worth the price of admission

add an RMR optic on it and I highly doubt you’ll have anytihig outside the ten ring 25 yards and in at 2am when you are shocked out of a deep sleep

It is a game changer

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I will be happy to concede when somebody shows me a tug of war between an ecoboost and a navistar powerstroke. Both should have at least 100k on the clock to represent proper wear and tear. Just saying....

I'll settle for a 5.9 vs a mopar

add an RMR optic on it and I highly doubt you’ll have anytihig outside the ten ring 25 yards and in at 2am when you are shocked out of a deep sleep

It is a game changer

Is it on the CA roster?

EDIT - appears not.

So in the spirit of this thread I’m waiting for someone to say their 200 year old musket is better than an AR because it is heavier.

Last edited:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

It is a game changer
Shit! Now you’ve got me intrigued. I wonder if they’d take some SigSauer’s or para ordinance’s on trade.😂

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
So you are saying the cab and the bed should be touching on the powerstroke vehicle? :)

Is it on the CA roster?

I know plenty that don't and would dare to say that any of them that do have been used and abused far beyond their rated capacity on the reg. But for shiggles let's just put fit and finish aside for a second ;)

riverroyal

Reaction score
My 2002 V10 excursion was a beast for towing. Not for power but for the things weight. 30ft toy hauler never moved the suv.
That same toy haul (no longer own it) i would not tow with my f150 eco.

traquer

Reaction score
My 2003 suburban stops just fine. ABS also works fine, I like to fuck around with it in the snow to test it's limits. Maybe it's your tires that have no grip?

That’s what my truck does. That fucker will not stop, I always warn anybody that’s going to drive my truck. You aren’t going to stop so don’t speed. Blacked out sitting on 35’s looks siiiicccckkkkkk though bro View attachment 915893

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

@LargeOrangeFont
If you'd like I'll put my 1928 Mosin or my 1942 Mouser against any AR. Iron sight, to Iron sight.

Or either of my Carcanos, but we all already know what those can do!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Shoot an STI:
You’ll thank me later

I don’t think we are on the same page here.. everyone wants a 1911 and a 7.3l original owner in their quiver... but they ultimately put something like a STI to work when they can get to that point,... until then nobody argues the reliability of the old stuff, just the fact that in the new stuff kicks ass when it’s working!

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Guys filled one of the dump trailers to the brim with tile. Need to dump it tomorrow. Kicker is its in a garage at the top of PV. Can't hook up the 1 tons or 3/4 cause they have racks. Need to use the mini truck 1500. See how it does tomorrow.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I don’t think we are on the same page here.. everyone wants a 1911 and a 7.3l original owner in their quiver... but they ultimately put something like a STI to work when they can get to that point,... until then nobody argues the reliability of the old stuff, just the fact that in the new stuff kicks ass when it’s working!
The moral is the 1911 works but the STI makes it a hell of a lot easier
The same goes for modern braking systems. The old 7.3 can hang on flat ground but no how no way would I pick it if I was towing my toy hauler down the Cajon pass on any type of regular basis.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My 2003 suburban stops just fine. ABS also works fine, I like to fuck around with it in the snow to test it's limits. Maybe it's your tires that have no grip?
These tires are pretty new. I will say they stop better than the ones I replaced last year. It’s not the tires though it does what lof said. The pedal starts to shake, it makes a weird noise, and I kind of hold on for the ride. There’s been a few times when in my head I’ve said mother fucker I’m not going to stop and lucky was able to change lanes or whatever.

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score
Love STI's but my NightHawk Shadow Hawk Govt is my baby, though my Salient Tier1 strike1 is right there also.😇 LoL glad I didn't suffer thru the video but I'd take the new Cadillac Escalade with the new amazing OLED dash and with the 3.0 diesel.:oops:...........but a buddy just ordered the Tesla Truck and is going to keep it in Havasu so I can't wait to actually play with it. Too many big lifted newer trucks out there🤣

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Technology usually wins
That said

Pros and cons to both

Definitely the Stacatto, but you couldn't convince most of the 1911 fudds around the cooler at the LGS

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What’s something like that cost? I’m still fighting myself on putting more money into this one or just buying a newer diesel.

About what the truck is worth :)

Fixing whatever is wrong with the brakes won't cost too much money.

traquer

Reaction score
New...’bout $6K
That's probably how much my 2003 4x4 suburban is worth lol. Actually it's one owner 140k miles mint condition so probably worth more, but to who?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
These tires are pretty new. I will say they stop better than the ones I replaced last year. It’s not the tires though it does what lof said. The pedal starts to shake, it makes a weird noise, and I kind of hold on for the ride. There’s been a few times when in my head I’ve said mother fucker I’m not going to stop and lucky was able to change lanes or whatever.
If its the ABS controller pulsing the brakes, the pedal damn near goes to the floor. If its just chattering the pedal and not stopping its likely the rotors are warped or out of true some how.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
If its the ABS controller pulsing the brakes, the pedal damn near goes to the floor. If its just chattering the pedal and not stopping its likely the rotors are warped or out of true some how.
It’s kind of both but only when I’m hard on the brakes. The truck slows and stops fine it just won’t stop if I slam on them.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I have out stopped a new Cadillac with my 2003 dodge 3500. If you time it right you can make it roll backwards from a panic stop.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I will take the old crappy 97 F-350 that I used to own, anyday over that Nissan.

How about this... one time I am towing 12,000 lbs in heavy rain, down a grade. I have to turn left at the bottom of the grade. I start braking, and my trailer brakes lock up. I let off, and try again...same thing. So I start pumping the brakes trying to slow down to turn (it's a 2 lane hwy with a long left turn lane). If I can't get slowed down, I have to get back over into traffic (my total rig is 60' long). I determine that working the brakes, I can get slowed down. I make my left turn.

I pull over to check things out when I get to a turnout. My trailer brake/light cord had come unplugged. So the trailer brakes weren't locking up, the trailer was trying to jackknife the rig, but didn't.

I will take a long wheelbase, big brakes, old beater, diesel, F-350 over a Nissan any day.
Ford F-350 1997 (16).jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

braindead

Reaction score
It’s kind of both but only when I’m hard on the brakes. The truck slows and stops fine it just won’t stop if I slam on them.

when was the last time the brake fluid was replaced?
Newer brake fluid is crap and starts degrading after 3-5 yrs.

braindead

Reaction score

if the steering wheel also starts to shake, your rotors are warped

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
when was the last time the brake fluid was replaced?
Newer brake fluid is crap and starts degrading after 3-5 yrs.
What evidence do you have that newer brake fluid is any different than “older” brake fluid?

braindead

Reaction score
What evidence do you have that newer brake fluid is any different than “older” brake fluid?

that my brakes would fade when towing down hill, changed the fluid and now they don’t.
where’s your evidence to suggest otherwise?